PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there?

Grizzly
2005-Jan-09, 07:08 PM
Had a loverly run this morning, 7km at a temperature of -27c (16.6 below 0 F).

Now before you consider me daft, I was actually quite warm and I enjoyed myself. The fact that I live in a semi-arid climate and there was no wind contributed to my comfort.

Any other runners out there? I'm more of a shuffler, although I can claim to having had a consistent 4 month period of more than 40 mpw last year. I've slacked off a bit though...

----
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-09, 07:29 PM
I always tell people I have to go through a training regime just to watch a marathon, so no I'm not a runner.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-09, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I run cross country for my high school. My 5K record is 19:40...absolutely horrible. But I'm a lot better at track, so hopfully ill do better.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-09, 10:10 PM
If you need to run, you should have started sooner !!! :D

Grizzly
2005-Jan-09, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I run cross country for my high school. My 5K record is 19:40...absolutely horrible. But I'm a lot better at track, so hopfully ill do better.

19:40 is better than a whole heck of a lot of runners and wannabes. Be proud of it.

How old are you? There's a whole host of advice on training for track and x-country out there. While you might not drop to 16:00 (!) in one step, I know that there's ways to improve your time.

----
Insula gilliganis
Gilligan's Island

Chuck
2005-Jan-09, 10:56 PM
I've been a jogger on and off for the past 30 years. I've never been very fast. My best timed mile was 5 minutes, 31 seconds in 1976. My longest run was 20 miles in 1980 taking about 2½ hours. Now I do about 1 to 3 miles per day, although I had a 6 mile run last November. I no longer bother to time myself. I have a sore knee now and haven't gone jogging for the past week.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-10, 12:48 AM
I'm with you, Chuck: LSD all the way...

For the non-runners, that's Long Slow Distance.

Fastest mile during school was 4:40. Longest distance run was 28 miles, while training for a marathon. Have completed two of those suckers, both in East Lyme, CT. Most mileage in road races during a year: 351 during 1985, which was Connecticut's 350th anniversary as a state/commonwealth. It took 61 road races, all in CT. That got written up in the New London Day by Johnny Kelley (The Younger).

Currently off running due to illness. Usually run 10-15 miles week, unless training for a 10K or longer.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-10, 05:19 AM
How old are you? There's a whole host of advice on training for track and x-country out there. While you might not drop to 16:00 (!) in one step, I know that there's ways to improve your time.

Freshman. Was 14 when I got that time. Plus I was really lazy last year... If I pushed the last mile, I would have gotten around 18:20. I want to get my time down into the 17's next year.

mike alexander
2005-Jan-10, 05:27 AM
What TriangleMan said.

The only exercise I enjoy even mildly is swimming, and that's out until March or so when the solar heaters can start warming the pool.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-10, 01:33 PM
Another old, slow guy. Usually one or two times a week, 3-6 miles each. Nuthin' fancy.

Grizzly
2005-Jan-10, 02:31 PM
Another old, slow guy. Usually one or two times a week, 3-6 miles each. Nuthin' fancy.

I'm feeling particularly lazy these days and the temps outdoors have very little to do with it all.

It took a lot of work to get me up to 50 mpw and I can't possibly contemplate doing that right now, so I'm content with 4-5 runs a week nothing more than 5 miles. I may not be fast, but I'm slow.

----
Gramen artificiosum odi
I hate Astroturf

Argos
2005-Jan-10, 04:19 PM

How happy you are. I use to run 10 km 3 times a week. Last time, friday, under 32C. I think that all this health stuff has gone too far, in my case, but I can´t help it.

Normandy6644
2005-Jan-11, 01:29 AM
When I was training for Army ROTC I was running quite a lot, around 10 or so miles a week (sometimes more). I got hurt (and subsequently lazy) and didn't run much for awhile. I'm starting to get back into it, and will undoubtedly have more interesting running stories once I go back to school in upstate New York, i.e., several snowy miles uphill. :D

Kaptain K
2005-Jan-11, 04:43 AM
If you need to run, you should have started sooner !!! :D
Agreed! :wink:

Bawheid
2005-Jan-11, 01:42 PM
Of course if you run in kilometers you go faster and further. Tonight I'll do a metric 10, rather than my usual 6. :D

gethen
2005-Jan-11, 02:08 PM
Used to do a little, but the knees no longer cooperate, so I walk 4 miles a day now. Getting older really reeks.

jfribrg
2005-Jan-11, 02:18 PM
I used to be a good runner. Best marathon was 2:47. Ran 25 marathons, 2 50K, and 1 50 miler. But that was years ago. Right now I can run maybe 3 miles at the pace that I ran the 50 miles back in 1988. Hoping to get back in shape this year. I plan to race a 1/2 ironman triathlon in September.

Grizzly
2005-Jan-11, 05:31 PM
I used to be a good runner. Best marathon was 2:47. Ran 25 marathons, 2 50K, and 1 50 miler. But that was years ago. Right now I can run maybe 3 miles at the pace that I ran the 50 miles back in 1988. Hoping to get back in shape this year. I plan to race a 1/2 ironman triathlon in September.

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Last year at this time I was pulling off 50 mile weeks and feeling great. Unfortunately I had a little problem with the human/pavement interface and developed a bad case of road rash. At about that time my MIL became quite ill (subsequently died) and I reduced my mileage.

I had hopes of having a Boston Qualifier last year, but I'm not sure I can manage that now... I think my plan is to hold on to the pace I can run now and... get older.

----
Occasio aegre offertur, facile amittitur
Opportunity is offered with difficulty, lost with ease

teddyv
2005-Jan-11, 09:15 PM

Now before you consider me daft, I was actually quite warm and I enjoyed myself. The fact that I live in a semi-arid climate and there was no wind contributed to my comfort.

Any other runners out there? I'm more of a shuffler, although I can claim to having had a consistent 4 month period of more than 40 mpw last year. I've slacked off a bit though...

Not me, but my wife is a big runner. Not running outside while the ice and snow on the sidewalks.

BTW, if you're in semi-arid you must be in south-central BC or the Yukon. :)

Grizzly
2005-Jan-11, 09:35 PM
BTW, if you're in semi-arid you must be in south-central BC or the Yukon. :)

Calgary in the People's Republic of Kleindonia. It's semi-arid on most climatological maps.

And we've got some nasty weather coming our way. Only 2-5 cm of the white stuff, but temps in the -30c range overnight and into tomorrow with strong winds and a windchill of -43c.

I might try it. I might...

----
Per angusta in augusta
Through difficulties to great things