PDA

View Full Version : All that rumbling on the Nevada/Ca/Oregon border

jj_0001
2014-Nov-26, 02:20 AM
Is it a known seismically active area? I don't recall, until recently, seeing any activity there.

Is there fracking going on there?

I have heard, but not from any definitive source, that fracking has a lot to do with the shaking in Oklahoma.

And I have no good, solid source of information here.

geonuc
2014-Nov-26, 10:01 AM
The USGS seismicity maps don't show the area as historically seismic, but it is in the basin & range stress province.

http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/earthquakes/stress/setting.html

Trebuchet
2014-Nov-26, 09:27 PM
Is it a known seismically active area? I don't recall, until recently, seeing any activity there.

Is there fracking going on there?

I have heard, but not from any definitive source, that fracking has a lot to do with the shaking in Oklahoma.

And I have no good, solid source of information here.

Do you have a news story or something about that?

Squink
2014-Nov-27, 12:36 AM
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/

skysurfer5cva
2014-Nov-27, 04:38 AM
I was the consulting civil engineering project manager for the Federal Correctional Institution / Federal Prison Camp at Herlong, CA. The prison is located between Reno, NV, and Susanville, CA ( 40 09'04"N, 120 09'57"W ), but closer to Susanville. It overlooks the not-so-scenic Honey Lake. Construction was completed in the mid-2000s. The prison is about 125 miles south of the tri-state point mentioned by the OP, but it's in the Basin & Range Province and that is close enough for government work. :-) The Basin & Range Province is full of fault-created mountain chains and valleys and thus has some seismic activity.

The geotechnical study commissioned by the Federal Bureau of Prisons for my project indicated that the site is bisected by an old fault. The geotechnical engineer indicated that although the fault was not historically active, it was still capable of a maximum probable seismic event in the magnitude 7.2 range. That's one reason I insisted on a ground-level water storage tank and booster pumping station instead of the elevated water storage tank favored by the FBOP. :-) The California Fault Activity Map (http://www.quake.ca.gov/gmaps/FAM/faultactivitymap.html) shows Holocene (<11,700 yrs) fault displacement both around the prison site and near the tri-state point.

jj_0001
2014-Nov-27, 06:51 AM
Do you have a news story or something about that?

Just what's visible at earthquakes.usgs.gov

It's pretty obvious if you turn up the settings to "all quakes in a 7 day period".

Swift
2014-Nov-27, 03:24 PM
I was the consulting civil engineering project manager for the Federal Correctional Institution / Federal Prison Camp at Herlong, CA.
Wow, thanks for the report from the field skysurfer5cva.

Cougar
2014-Nov-27, 03:55 PM
Coincidentally, there was a pretty big one (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/22/nagano-earthquake_n_6203684.html?utm_hp_ref=japan-earthquake) - 6.7 - in Nagano, Japan around the same time.

Trebuchet
2014-Nov-27, 04:17 PM
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/

Just what's visible at earthquakes.usgs.gov

It's pretty obvious if you turn up the settings to "all quakes in a 7 day period".

Thanks guys! We drove through that area a good many years ago from Winnemuca, NV, to Lakeview, OR, and saw just one other car. And about a million flattened jackrabbits on the road. We started calling it "Flapjack Pass".

Squink
2014-Nov-27, 11:38 PM
Winnemuca, NV, to Lakeview, OR, and saw just one other car.That's the back side of beyond there, that is. Likely gets less traffic than U.S. Route 50 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada) in the central part of the state.

jj_0001
2014-Dec-04, 12:55 AM
Whatever it is, still going on, on two lines now, so yeah, it looks rather like some kind of fault (or two).

Thanks to the guy who reported in from the prison siting, that's probably related. Just seemed odd, out there in nowhere.

skysurfer5cva
2014-Dec-05, 04:51 AM
jj_0001…

The prison was sited where it is in large part because the land was free to the FBOP. Herlong is also the site of the Sierra Army Depot. The Depot had quite a bit of excess property, so the Army transferred about a section of land (640 acres ) to the FBOP as part of a "base realignment" program. The other two federal prisons I designed prior to Herlong were also on free land, in both cases property spun off from deactivated Air Force bases.

jj_0001
2014-Dec-05, 07:41 PM
jj_0001…

The prison was sited where it is in large part because the land was free to the FBOP.

Ah... I think I communicated poorly, I meant the earthquake swarm in nowhere. I understand that federal Prison sitings are generally where they aren't expensive.

If anything the rate of teeny quakes seems to be increasing. Maybe we'll have the start of a new Jackson Hole there :) someday. :)

skysurfer5cva
2014-Dec-07, 07:32 AM
jj_001…

Yeah, I was a bit confused. It appeared to me that you linked siting of the prison with the occurrence of remote earthquakes. :)

Actually, that would make an interesting conspiracy "theory"…at least as credible as the one that attempted to link Comet Elenin with earthquakes. I did the calcs on that last one and discovered that my Jeep Grand Cherokee exerts a stronger tidal force on the Earth than Elenin did at its closest approach. IIRC, the Jeep:Elenin tidal force ratio was about 3:2. :rofl:

jj_0001
2014-Dec-08, 04:19 AM
Actually, that would make an interesting conspiracy "theory"…at least as credible as the one that attempted to link Comet Elenin with earthquakes. I did the calcs on that last one and discovered that my Jeep Grand Cherokee exerts a stronger tidal force on the Earth than Elenin did at its closest approach. IIRC, the Jeep:Elenin tidal force ratio was about 3:2. :rofl:

This was approximately equal to the point I made about the gravitational influence of Saturn on the body vs. the gravitational influence of one's partner sleeping next to one's self. :)

dgavin
2014-Dec-14, 01:03 AM
That area is very close to the original site of the CRBG Flood Basalt initial break out some 17myr ago.

Trebuchet
2014-Dec-14, 01:14 AM
That area is very close to the original site of the CRBG Flood Basalt initial break out some 17myr ago.

Now THAT leads to some interesting thoughts!

jj_0001
2014-Dec-17, 01:19 PM
Well, I hate to frustrate dgavin, :) but it appears that the rumbling is slowing down. Nothing within the hour, and only 3 within a day. That's rather slower than a few days ago.

jj_0001
2014-Dec-23, 01:42 AM
Of course, and it's picking up a bit again. Maybe the Nevada Tetons will be there in 150,000 years! :)

dgavin
2014-Dec-26, 02:42 PM
Of course, and it's picking up a bit again. Maybe the Nevada Tetons will be there in 150,000 years! :)

More likely Nevada' version of the Steen's Mountains

jj_0001
2015-Jan-22, 08:43 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/01/8_earthquakes_in_24_hours_ratt.html

And the rock music is back, shake, rattle, and roll. Same spot. No sign of a line, just a spot. 96 in the last 7 days, 39 in the last 24 hours, including a bunch up in 3 and 4 range. Still goin'. Don't ask me what it means, I just drive past there once in a great while.

jj_0001
2015-Jan-31, 11:57 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to read the moment map and plot on the usgs earthquake site? I know rather a lot of 3D math, but without some basic definitions I'm kind of lost there.

geonuc
2015-Feb-01, 09:41 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to read the moment map and plot on the usgs earthquake site? I know rather a lot of 3D math, but without some basic definitions I'm kind of lost there.

You referring to moment tensors or something else?

jj_0001
2015-Feb-02, 05:51 AM
Indeed the moment tensors.

geonuc
2015-Feb-02, 04:07 PM
I learned how to create the beach balls using moment data as part of my degree in geology but it's been too long. The beach balls are not too hard to read in a general sense. You can see what is a strike-slip, normal or reverse fault pretty easily, including direction of motion. Wiki has a good article or you can search the USGS site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_mechanism

jj_0001
2015-Feb-04, 05:18 AM
Thank you!

jj_0001
2015-Mar-04, 10:52 PM
Still shake, rattle and roll out there. A couple now working their way into the 3's.