PDA

View Full Version : What causes the Moon to be round?

cozmo
2014-Nov-26, 05:05 PM
I have been researching the Moon with my binoculars for a long time. I have come to the conclusion that the Earth impacted venus which hit the moon and died and so that's why dinos are dead

Jens
2014-Nov-26, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure what the title has to do with the first post. Is it a serious question?

DaveC426913
2014-Nov-27, 02:41 AM
I have been researching the Moon with my binoculars for a long time. I have come to the conclusion that the Earth impacted venus which hit the moon and died and so that's why dinos are dead
Evidence strongly suggests otherwise. Just a couple of examples:

1] Planets do not normally go careening around the Solar System. The orbits of the Venus and Earth have been stable for a long time.
2] Your hypothesis would suggest there should be monster craters on the Earth and Moon. Craters as young as the dinosaurs. There isn't. Biggest crater Chicxulub is about 100 miles across.
3] Both bodies would likely still have molten craters deep into the mantle from such a recent impact.

There are scenarios similar to what you describe (Moon was cleaved off Earth by an impact of a third body), but the timeline is billions of years, not 10's of millions.