PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars VII thread (no spoilers until 2015)

Solfe
2014-Nov-29, 03:14 PM
What? No Star Wars VII thread? Craziness.

Here is the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE).

Rather than list off all the events in the trailer that I loved, I will just name one: I could watch the bit with the X-Wings on a continuous loop all day long.

What stands out to you?

Last edit - There is a thread for Star Wars VII fan made trailers (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?154581-Star-Wars-VII-Fan-Made-trailers&p=2257883#post2257883). There, I fixed that for me. Last edit, I promise.

Swift
2014-Nov-29, 04:20 PM
I thought the trailer was remarkably free of meaningful content about what the story might be about.

Solfe
2014-Nov-29, 04:48 PM
I thought the trailer was remarkably free of meaningful content about what the story might be about.

Yes, yes it was.

We can see Tatooine and I would guess the other three planets are Coruscant, Naboo and Endor. Perhaps the Empire and Republic have swapped placed and it isn't working well.

Gillianren
2014-Nov-29, 04:53 PM
I loved the new lightsaber. I was delighted that the first "humans" we see are a black guy and a woman. And I wasn't expecting meaningful content out of a teaser trailer anyway.

Solfe
2014-Nov-29, 05:04 PM
I loved the new lightsaber. I was delighted that the first "humans" we see are a black guy and a woman. And I wasn't expecting meaningful content out of a teaser trailer anyway.

And either the cloned stormtroopers are all gone, or he is a rebel in disguise. I vote for the rebel.

Trebuchet
2014-Nov-29, 05:14 PM
Much of the original cast, including Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie are involved. I wonder to what extent?

Glom
2014-Nov-29, 07:51 PM
Yeah looked a bit uninspiring. Remember the trailer for Episode I? Wow that looked cool. Remember how that turned out? The problem with this trailer is there is little to make us think it will be different this round.

Gillianren
2014-Nov-29, 08:06 PM
Yeah looked a bit uninspiring. Remember the trailer for Episode I? Wow that looked cool. Remember how that turned out? The problem with this trailer is there is little to make us think it will be different this round.

I disagree. For one thing, the visual aesthetic is clearly closer to the original trilogy--and, come to that, to the original release of the original trilogy. It isn't as glossy and slick. Yeah, there's an "ooo, shiny!" moment or two, but that was true of the original trilogy, too. There's a contrast between light and dark. I have to admit that the only J. J. Abrams-directed movie I've seen was the first Star Trek reboot, which I roundly hated, but I am cautiously optimistic here. Especially given what I've read about the casting. Lupita Nyong'o is enough to make me hopeful.

Van Rijn
2014-Nov-29, 11:40 PM
There just wasn't enough there to mean much to me (it was just a few brief scenes without context), and then it says it's going to be another year before it shows up anyway. There was something about the robot caused an unfortunate flashback to The Black Hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole). I hope that was just me thinking about Disney movies when I watched it.

'Course I'm not a big Star Wars fan, though I liked the original movie very much and thought the other two after that were okay. I'd like to forget about the ultra-CGed movies. I'll wait to see what people say after the movie is out before deciding whether I want to see it.

geonuc
2014-Nov-30, 03:32 PM
The trailer accomplished its mission for me - I now know there's a a new Star Wars movie coming and it will be awesome. Because, Star Wars. I think I'll get in line now.

SkepticJ
2014-Dec-01, 03:30 AM
There was something about the robot caused an unfortunate flashback to The Black Hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole). I hope that was just me thinking about Disney movies when I watched it.

I thought it was a really dumb droid design, too. A robotic ball with an astromech head? That doesn't make sense in the Star Wars universe.

R2-D2 and his kin are rolling, sentient mechanics/tool cabinets. C-3PO and other humanoid-ish droids are designed to be able to carry things, and more naturally interact with sentient biologicals in their roles as protocol droids, soldiers, butlers, etc. Probe droids fly via repulsorlift engines.

jokergirl
2014-Dec-02, 01:31 PM
I liked the scene with the Millennium falcon (and yes, the black guy as well), but stylistically the trailer seemed a bit disjointed. The scene with the Sith in the forest looked like it was cut in from a completely different movie or maybe a computer game. Or maybe Game of Thrones. I don't know. The "drop ship" scene also seemed like it came from somewhere else. I guess we will see in the movie how those scenes belong together, but pretty much none of the scenes spoke a common style language to me, and that's a warning flag.

The crossguard is silly, but hey, fantasy weapons, why not. *shrugs* The robot? I can't even tell if the ball was part of its design or if it just happened to be a robot that likes to play with a football. Can't care here either.

;)

Solfe
2014-Dec-03, 01:31 AM
I am slowly convincing myself that the guy with the light sabre is Luke.

novaderrik
2014-Dec-05, 09:10 PM
I am slowly convincing myself that the guy with the light sabre is Luke.

some of the more geeky of the geeky SW fans think that's some long dead Sith lord that was in some of the books or something because he fits the description and has that type of light saber.. so it could be a flashback to 1000 years ago, or he could be "reborn" thru cloning or something...

but we'll all have to wait until a couple of weeks before the theatrical release when the movie gets stolen and put online for millions of people to download for free to find out what is going on..

in the meantime, we should all watch these to keep the prequels fresh in our hearts and minds (warning, mildly grown up content):

ep1: Jedi Party (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8)

ep2: The Friendzone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0)

ep3: Revenge of Middle Management (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkl7cHcX_E)

Solfe
2014-Dec-06, 01:50 AM
some of the more geeky of the geeky SW fans think that's some long dead Sith lord that was in some of the books or something because he fits the description and has that type of light saber.. so it could be a flashback to 1000 years ago, or he could be "reborn" thru cloning or something...

but we'll all have to wait until a couple of weeks before the theatrical release when the movie gets stolen and put online for millions of people to download for free to find out what is going on..

in the meantime, we should all watch these to keep the prequels fresh in our hearts and minds (warning, mildly grown up content):

ep1: Jedi Party (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8)

ep2: The Friendzone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0)

ep3: Revenge of Middle Management (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkl7cHcX_E)

Ha-ha-ha! "I am sending Regional Manager Darth Maul..."

Back to the real Star Wars trailer. My guess that the guy in black is Luke is based on the fact that he moves like he is old and has some sort of heavy prosthetic arm. Too big on the right side, yet really fast. Then again, the man in black might have a prosthetic arm because he didn't know that a guard made out of lightsabres would be wildly dangerous.

I actually like the design. If it was used like a claymore, it makes sense:

Jedi Troller: "Hey get a load of this guy! He put a pair of mini-lightsabres on his lightsabre like a cross guard. He must not realize the elegance of..."
WHOOSH! The man in black cuts him down with an axe like swing and we all get to find out what happens when you bury half a lightsabre in the ground.

I just have to roll with this one; if you think about it too hard, it stops being cool.

publiusr
2014-Dec-06, 08:48 PM
Disney has had a good effect so far.

The best die-cast spaceship replica I have ever seen is out thanks to them:
http://www.disneystore.com/vehicles-rc-toys-toys-star-wars-star-destroyer-die-cast-vehicle/mp/1364606/1000268/

It is lovely.

novaderrik
2014-Dec-07, 09:32 PM
SNL's take on the new trailer:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/723373?playlist_id=2798#i0,p0

Brad_Smith
2015-Jan-08, 09:49 AM
And either the cloned stormtroopers are all gone, or he is a rebel in disguise. I vote for the rebel.Clones, by the time of A New Hope, had been phased out by the Empire. The Imperial military now recruits humans . . . .

Noclevername
2015-Jan-08, 01:02 PM
And either the cloned stormtroopers are all gone, or he is a rebel in disguise. I vote for the rebel.

Remember, the clonetroopers were all engineered to age twice as fast. They're probably not in fighting trim, 50-60 years (?) after the start of the Clone Wars.

redshifter
2015-Jan-20, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure what to think. I'm not a huge fan of the JJ Abrams directed Star Trek reboot - too many canon violations in the first and why remake Wrath of Khan for the next one? Sure, they were both highly entertaining, but in the end, wanting. So I'm expecting him to wreck the Star Wars franchise as well -- except Lucas did a pretty good job of that with Episodes I and II. This is why I'm not sure what to think...and I agree with Glom above; I got all excited when seeing trailers for episode I and then episode I got released...

I guess in reality, these 'reboots' are aimed more to the casual viewer and certainly not to the dedicated die-hards. But casual viewers is where the $ is.

Gillianren
2015-Jan-21, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure that's really true, to be honest. Oh, that's conventional wisdom, surely. But a casual viewer will go once. A dedicated die-hard, there's no telling. It's also more likely to be the dedicated die-hard who buys the DVD, the Blu-Ray, the collectible card game, the action figures, the posters . . . .

Jim
2015-Jan-21, 03:07 PM
I think we're talking a different flavor of "diehard" here.

I'm a fan of Start Trek ... TOS, TNG, VOY ... I enjoy them all. Except for the Abrams reboot. That changed everything. It was no longer ST. It was Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower on a huge scale. Suddenly, according to Mr. Abrams, nothing that had happened would happen. All of the episodes/movies/adventures you had enjoyed were rendered insignificant ... unimportant.

Think a reboot of Casablanca where Ilsa stays with Rick. That may be very satisfying to some, but it changes everything about the story.

I think reboots are made by producers/directors with fantastic egos who think they could have done it better. They don't care about the fans of the original because, well, their version is far superior.

Ilsa got on the plane. Live with it.

redshifter
2015-Jan-21, 06:31 PM
I think we're talking a different flavor of "diehard" here.

I'm a fan of Start Trek ... TOS, TNG, VOY ... I enjoy them all. Except for the Abrams reboot. That changed everything. It was no longer ST. It was Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower on a huge scale. Suddenly, according to Mr. Abrams, nothing that had happened would happen. All of the episodes/movies/adventures you had enjoyed were rendered insignificant ... unimportant.

Think a reboot of Casablanca where Ilsa stays with Rick. That may be very satisfying to some, but it changes everything about the story.

I think reboots are made by producers/directors with fantastic egos who think they could have done it better. They don't care about the fans of the original because, well, their version is far superior.

Ilsa got on the plane. Live with it.

Agreed. I didn't really like the "I'm gonna just throw away the whole thing" angle. One of the things that really bugged me about Abrams was when he was on The Daily Show and said he'd never watched Star Trek. I liked Stewart's reply later on in the interview though: "Sorry, I stopped listening to you when you said you'd never watched Star Trek". I only hope if there's another Star Trek movie the next director will recognize there was actually this thing called Star Trek that happened before 2009. I imagine the hardcore Star Wars fans will have their own issues with Abrams once that movie comes out. I suppose on the plus side is that now Star Trek and Star Wars fans will finally be able to agree on something...

Gillianren
2015-Jan-21, 06:53 PM
Don't get me wrong--I did not like the new Star Trek, to the point where I didn't even watch the second one. I'm just saying that my belief is that marketing to the die-hards and not the general population is not necessarily a bad decision to make, financially. Look at Serenity--it didn't do very well in the theatre, true, but it made the studio a fair chunk of money in the long term. Marketing this particular film to the die-hards wouldn't have worked, because it wasn't made for them. But making a Star Wars film for and marketing to the die-hards is not necessarily the financially risky decision people tend to think it is.

Jim
2015-Jan-21, 09:41 PM
See, different diehard flavors.

To me, a diehard fan is one who loves the franchise as originally planned/envisioned. Serenity meets that, even though it tried to appeal to a wider audience as well; it did not violate canon. The ST movies with Kirk and Pickard did also. This type of diehard fan has made an investment in the franchise and will not take lightly a devaluation of that investment.

The Abrams reboot would appeal to new fans and those "diehards" who follow ST of any type ... those with no real investment to lose.

Gillianren
2015-Jan-21, 10:17 PM
Ahem. Picard.

But I really do believe we're talking about the same die-hards and perhaps I'm just making myself clear enough. I'm talking about the kind of people who go to cons for their specific fandom (though there are plenty of die-hards for multiple fandoms, in my experience) and buy every video release, all sorts of tie-in novels, action figures, and so forth. Who can argue "Han shot first" for an hour, who will explain the head-canon they have for why the "parsecs" line isn't just George Lucas not knowing what a parsec is. (I'm partial to the "Han doesn't know, and Obi-Wan is humouring him" explanation.) I think the studios make more of their money than they realize off those fans in the long term, and I don't think the general public makes them a lot of long-term money.

SkepticJ
2015-Jan-23, 06:34 PM
I don't like the Abrams Treks, but what they don't do is destroy future Star Trek history.

The many worlds interpretation of QM has long been part of Star Trek. See for example 'Parallels' from Star Trek: TNG.

All possible worlds exist, so all time travel and mucking about in the past does is branch off new, different universes at the points of divergence.

AsmaMohd
2015-Feb-10, 06:19 AM
Star Wars was always suppose to pander to kids as well as adults. I'm an original Star Wars fan when the first movie came out. I was then a 10 year old kid, Tired of all this Lucas bashing.Without him, there would never have been Star Wars.

malaidas
2015-Feb-10, 11:31 AM
I'll be honest here I can't watch the trailers on the net now... I saw the trailer in IMax over Christmas and I am watching no more until I can see the full thing in IMax. Even with my developed cynicism regarding Lucas. I just want to remember seeing the Millennium Falcon in full 3D.

malaidas
2015-Feb-10, 11:42 AM
I don't like the Abrams Treks, but what they don't do is destroy future Star Trek history.

The many worlds interpretation of QM has long been part of Star Trek. See for example 'Parallels' from Star Trek: TNG.

All possible worlds exist, so all time travel and mucking about in the past does is branch off new, different universes at the points of divergence.

I agree Skeptic, my major problems with Abrams are
big uns

a)that he admitted to hating star trek in the first place.
b) The enterprise
c) the enterprise.... harping back to a red dwarf gag
d) the first one at least was a horrible mashup storyline, (not actually watched the second yet I had no interest in doing so tbh), undermining some of the most quintessential and rare beautiful characterisations in TOS.
e) Sulu's sword fight, it just wouldn;t happen he's a trained starfleet officer: the only time in the main timeline this kind of thing happened was when he was completely out of his mind owing to complete intoxication.
f) there is absolutely no way in nature that a bunch of rookie cadets would end up being the main crew of the enterprise in the way it happened. It violoates everything that starfleet had in place from earlier timelines, thus it doesn;t add up. nor would it happen in any reasonable military setup anyway.

general
e) another huge and unrealistic anachronism with the sports car.
f) yet another time line story, yawn... I got bored of these during Voyager... enough already.
g) Young Spock, the story line doesn't really match up to even have the possibility of creating the Spock from the TOS enterprise, same with M'coy. Kirk perhaps.

Jim
2015-Feb-10, 12:37 PM
Star Wars was always suppose to pander to kids as well as adults. ...

When Star Wars first came out, the BW and I went to see it. Our very young son was a science fiction fan and as we watched the opening scenes we remarked that we should take him to see it ... he would really enjoy this.

Then Darth Vader made his appearance.

We turned to each other, smiled, and said simultaneously, "Nope."

malaidas
2015-Feb-10, 01:17 PM
When Star Wars first came out, the BW and I went to see it. Our very young son was a science fiction fan and as we watched the opening scenes we remarked that we should take him to see it ... he would really enjoy this.

fair enough, but many kids did and do.

SeanF
2015-Feb-10, 02:13 PM

How young is "very young"? I was eight and my brother was six when "Star Wars" came out, and we loved it.

Jim
2015-Feb-10, 03:30 PM
fair enough, but many kids did and do.

How young is "very young"? I was eight and my brother was six when "Star Wars" came out, and we loved it.

Not a knock on the movie or its appeal to kids. Our son was maybe two.

Gillianren
2015-Feb-10, 04:35 PM
Hey, Jim, can I thank you for seeing the movie before taking an extremely young child to see it? I wish more parents were that responsible.

I was mad at my mom for years, when I thought about it, because she went to see Return of the Jedi without us. It came out thirty-two years ago; I was six, my older sister was eight, and we both wanted to see it. Though I don't know if we'd seen the other two. And Mom didn't take us, and how dare she? But then I thought about what else happened thirty-two years ago--our dad died. There are a lot of father issues in Return of the Jedi, and I can't think that would have been a fun viewing experience for anyone, be it us, mom, or the rest of the audience.

Solfe
2015-Feb-13, 09:49 PM
My youngest son bugged out at a Pixar short - the one with the dueling musicians. I didn't get it, but now I pre-screen stuff. For whatever reason, I utterly failed to preview Guardians of the Galaxy and my 9 year old daughter now has some really punchy line to use on her brothers. I hope it is just with her brothers...

Just for the record, I still skip over Ankin going after the baby Jedi when the kids are around. I don't want to find out they couldn't handle it. I really didn't like that part myself.

I have hopes for this film (VII) because the subject matter doesn't have to be that dark. I hope it isn't that dark anyway.

Delvo
2015-Feb-14, 03:37 AM
The only case I know of of any of the five kids in my family falling out of bed while dreaming was my sister, running from Darth Vader.

Solfe
2015-Feb-14, 11:31 AM
I was 5 or 6 when Star Wars came out and my parents were very alarmed by a pronouncement I made. "Darth Vader isn't the hero. He is the winner." The only thing that calmed them down was the fact that I wanted to be Han Solo for Halloween because he was the cool one.

I had a Darth Vader necklace, a Darth Vader poster, Darth Vader model, etc.

However, my most cherished possession was a black corduroy, thrift store tuxedo. It had red stripes on the legs, a matching vest and jacket, also corduroy. When I played Star Wars, I dressed for the part of Han Solo. Corduroy is very warm in summer, but I made do.

I kept it forever. When my wife and I moved out of our first apartment in 2001, she made me promise to get rid of it. It was the last thing to be moved out the apartment and as we left the landlord's son belted out "A Han Solo costume!" I gave it to him. For some reason, my wife did not look entirely pleased.

Solfe
2015-Apr-17, 01:17 AM
"Chewie... We're home." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=48&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs)

SeanF
2015-Apr-17, 01:15 PM
"Chewie... We're home." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=48&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs)
I've got to admit, that literally brought a smile to my face.

Spacedude
2015-Apr-17, 01:55 PM
Shouldn't Chewie have some gray hairs by now?

KaiYeves
2015-Apr-17, 02:01 PM
Shouldn't Chewie have some gray hairs by now?

He's only a little over 200. Wookiees aren't considered old until 350 or so: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee#Behavior

Spacedude
2015-Apr-17, 02:05 PM
Aaaah, thx I see now..... poor ol' Hans didn't age as gracefully.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Apr-17, 02:59 PM
So the nerf herder is in it.

Gillianren
2015-Apr-17, 04:13 PM
So the nerf herder is in it.

Not exactly news; the filming of his part was delayed a while ago when he had a serious injury. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are in it, too.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Apr-17, 05:17 PM
Just noting how scruffy he looks.

KaiYeves
2015-Apr-17, 06:14 PM
Aaaah, thx I see now..... poor ol' Hans didn't age as gracefully.

Well, Star Wars humans have been indicated to have the same aging process as Earth humans, even though Force sensitivity and advanced technology mean many have lived longer than Earth's known record-holders: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Human#Biology_and_appearance

Buttercup
2015-Apr-18, 01:01 PM
Just saw a "fans react" clip via Yahoo news, to the Chewie/Han "we're home."

To my eye, NONE of those fans could have been viewing the original ST films (1977, 1980, 1983) because they were in diapers or not born yet.

Why not give fan reactions of people who DO remember a young Harrison Ford and saw the original trilogy in theaters?

Oh yeah...they're older now too. :rolleyes: Ageism!

SeanF
2015-Apr-18, 01:33 PM
Just saw a "fans react" clip via Yahoo news, to the Chewie/Han "we're home."

To my eye, NONE of those fans could have been viewing the original ST films (1977, 1980, 1983) because they were in diapers or not born yet.

Why not give fan reactions of people who DO remember a young Harrison Ford and saw the original trilogy in theaters?

Oh yeah...they're older now too. :rolleyes: Ageism!
I was eight years old when the original "Star Wars" came out and, already a nerdy sci-fi geek, was pretty much the target audience for that movie. It couldn't have been more geared towards my interests if I had written it myself. I still have storage bins full of my "Star Wars" toys, cards, etc. (Side note - I was 14 when "Return of the Jedi" came out, with Princess Leia in that slave girl outfit. Pretty much perfect timing on that, as well. :) )

At any rate, as I said above, the Han and Chewie scene in that trailer made me smile. I couldn't help it. I didn't have a mirror handy, but I'm pretty sure it was a big ol' childish grin.

"Old friends, long gone."

EDIT: As to the reaction trailer, there's a video somebody put together combing this new trailer with a very emotional scene of Matthew McConaughey from "Interstellar," cut to make it seem as if he's watching the trailer and reacting to it. I haven't seen "Interstellar," so I don't know the original context of that scene, but the mash-up is pretty funny.

Buttercup
2015-Apr-18, 01:38 PM
I was eight years old when the original "Star Wars" came out and, already a nerdy sci-fi geek, was pretty much the target audience for that movie. It couldn't have been more geared towards my interests if I had written it myself. I still have storage bins full of my "Star Wars" toys, cards, etc. (Side note - I was 14 when "Return of the Jedi" came out, with Princess Leia in that slave girl outfit. Pretty much perfect timing on that, as well. :) )

At any rate, as I said above, the Han and Chewie scene in that trailer made me smile. I couldn't help it. I didn't have a mirror handy, but I'm pretty sure it was a big ol' childish grin.

"Old friends, long gone."

I can relate this also to original fans of "Dark Shadows" (daytime soap opera, big hit from 1966 to 1971). I am not one of those original fans, but I've interacted with them online. And lately they (in their late 50's and up) are mentioning aches, pains, getting older.

Is it FUN reading that? No. But I understand the original fan base for "Dark Shadows" is older than me. And if it weren't for *their* enthusiasm back then, making that show a big hit, I wouldn't be watching it on DVDs probably.

It just torques me, this lack of respect for the original fan base.

Check that Yahoo clip for yourself - most, if not all, don't look a day over 30. Probably were born after 1985.

Solfe
2015-Apr-18, 02:54 PM
Have you seen Matthew Mcconaughey's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHdQUyOunA) reaction?

Edit - I had no idea this was a meme. Still, pretty funny.

Buttercup
2015-Apr-18, 03:34 PM
Have you seen Matthew Mcconaughey's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHdQUyOunA) reaction?

Edit - I had no idea this was a meme. Still, pretty funny.

No, but I saw the Yahoo article. :)

Glom
2015-Apr-18, 07:33 PM
I'm still waiting to see what lewd things Rich Evans will do next with a droid.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Apr-29, 05:32 PM
Somebody is trying hard to get tickets already to the film.
http://sen.com/news/star-wars-fighter-soars-high-above-earth

KaiYeves
2015-Apr-30, 04:34 AM
Somebody is trying hard to get tickets already to the film.
http://sen.com/news/star-wars-fighter-soars-high-above-earth
That is so awesome! An X-Wing fighter in near-space!