PDA

View Full Version : Amageddon: Dissed again

honestmonkey
2002-Jun-26, 01:25 AM
I was perusing a periodical the other day. It was called "Maxim", and although I don't usually - ahem - read this one, it did have an interesting article in it, entitled (if I remember correctly) "The Forty Worst Movies of All Time". I had a quibble with one or two (Zardoz, a bad movie?) but number 8, I believe, was "Amageddon". The BA reviewed it for his web site here and claimed that the only science that they got right is that there actually are asteriods.

The comments from Maxim said something along the lines of "It makes 'Chitty Chitty Bang Band' look like a documentary." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Nice to see that even a magazine devoted to mostly half-naked women can see Bad Astronomy for what it is.

David Hall
2002-Jun-26, 04:35 AM
Here it is online.

http://www.maximonline.com/entertainment/articles/article_4706.html

I agree with you, some of these movies don't really belong here and there are a lot of other rotten movies that don't even get mentioned.

And what's Battlefield Earth doing at number 38? From everything I've heard it should be stinking up the top ten at least.

Here are reviews of these two movies from my most-trusted film critic.

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/armageddon.html

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/battlefieldearth.html

And the home page:
http://www.mrcranky.com/index.html

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jun-26, 08:41 AM
On 2002-06-26 00:35, David Hall wrote:
Here it is online.

He cheated too, he included four on one line:

9. When Harry Got Mail in Seattle

honestmonkey
2002-Jun-26, 04:07 PM
Yeah. There's many ways to make a bad movie, but calling it bad because you don't like the genre is a cop-out on a list like this. There are enough bad movies that are universally bad that you don't have to resort to insulting ones that are just not your cup of tea.

There were several movies on this list that were "chick-flicks" or "historical epics", a few even won or were nominated for Oscars. I think they should have stuck to the truly bad - ones like Armageddon or BattleField Earth, or Swordfish, for gosh sakes, that movie was awful!
[Don't know why I thought it was "40" movies, instead of 50. Guess I wasn't paying much attention to that, for some reason /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ]

David Hall
2002-Jun-26, 04:18 PM
Armageddon was one of the few movies that really failed to even interest me enough to sit through it. The dialog and characterizations were so bad and (especially) cliched that I couldn't stand watching them. I only managed to get through the whole movie with liberal use of the fast-forward button. I haven't tried it with Battlefield Earth yet, but I'm afraid it'll have the same effect.

The only other movie recently that I failed to get through was the new version of Nightfall, a straight-to-video movie that we discussed here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=709&forum=2&start=11) a while back . Boy, was that a stinker, and unbelievably, it's actually a remake that seems to be a bit better than its predecessor.

You don't see movies like that in these kind of "worst movie" lists. I wonder why? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2002-06-26 12:21 ]</font>

Conrad
2002-Jun-27, 03:07 PM
I won't hear a bad word spoken about Armegeddon - I think it's hilarious!
"He's got space dementia!" - how can you hate a movie that contains quality lines like that!!

nebularain
2002-Jun-27, 03:33 PM
My favorite line was, "Talk about the wrong stuff!"

Well, actually, that was the only line in the movie I liked, or - er - the only thing in the movie I liked.... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jun-27, 06:11 PM
FWIW, I will be quoted in the August issue of Maxim about finding Polaris in the night sky. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Bad Astronomer on 2002-06-27 14:11 ]</font>

honestmonkey
2002-Jun-27, 06:27 PM
On 2002-06-27 14:11, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
FWIW, I will be quoted in the August issue of Maxim about finding Polaris in the night sky. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Polaris? Who's she?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jun-27, 06:29 PM
On 2002-06-26 12:18, David Hall wrote:
You don't see movies like that in these kind of "worst movie" lists. I wonder why?

I think they have to reach a certain plateau first--either notoriety or expense or sales, depending. I'm sure there are zillions of really bad movies out there (I have some in digital video I made myself), but you wouldn't recognize them on a top fifty list.

Thanks for reminding me about Nightfall (2000). I'm still planning on sitting through it someday.

<font size=-1>[Nightfall reference]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-06-27 14:31 ]</font>

Conrad
2002-Jun-27, 10:42 PM
On 2002-06-27 14:27, honestmonkey wrote:

On 2002-06-27 14:11, The Bad Astronomer wrote:

Polaris? Who's she?

What? You don't know her?
Hey, all you need to know is that she's a Pole, and she's a star.
<sounds of groans in background>

David Hall
2002-Jun-28, 04:14 AM
On 2002-06-27 14:29, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about Nightfall (2000). I'm still planning on sitting through it someday.

You really want to see this movie? I never knew you were a masochist Grapes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I suppose I'll have to see the 1988 version someday myself.

pvtpylot
2002-Jun-28, 08:19 PM
FWIW, I will be quoted in the August issue of Maxim about finding Polaris in the night sky.

Hey, all you married guys out there, we finally can tell our wives with a straight face that we bought a copy of Maxim for the articles! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[Added quote]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pvtpylot on 2002-06-28 16:21 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jul-15, 03:35 PM
On 2002-06-28 00:14, David Hall wrote:
You really want to see this movie? I never knew you were a masochist Grapes.

Well, I was on vacation for two weeks, and I still came back to this thread, so you can see. (Well, actually, I was reading this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1745&forum=4&8)).

Cloudy
2002-Jul-23, 04:57 AM
The way I see it, There are 2 kinds of worthless movie(or book, etc).
The "Fresh dog poop" movie
and the "Dry dog poop" movie.

You have to get close to dry dog poop to smell it. It is like bad-tasting food that nevertheless does not leave the taste in your mouth for long. A "dry dog poop" movie is bad, so bad that it looks like a satire of itself. Adjectives that come to mind are: Lame, boring, uncreative, formulaic, or stupid. It is painfully obvious that little creative work went into this kind of movie. The Police Acadamy movies are a classic example. "Dry Dog Poop" movies are very common.

"Fresh dog poop" is so bad that you can smell it ten feet away. It is like fruit cake - not only does it taste bad, the taste stays in your mouth and ruins the taste of good food for some time to come. These bad movies can make you throw up just by watching. They makes you rebel against movies in general - they make you feel like you've been had. Often, allot of talent goes into such movies - it is the way it is misused that sickens you. The central tragedy of many such movies is they will pick a great basic story or theme and trash it so it can't be effectively used by a better movie for some time afterwards. "Independence Day" comes to mind. The "Fresh dog poop" kind of bad movie is, I think, blessedly rare. These are probably the kind of films the "TOP 40" list creator had in mind. "Armageddon", though bad, doesnt really make it to "fresh dog poop" status in my book....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cloudy on 2002-07-23 15:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloudy on 2002-07-23 15:08 ]</font>