PDA

View Full Version : A BAUT thread from 2003

Cougar
2014-Dec-17, 02:01 AM
My 1st impression would be the farther you get from the sun, the weaker the effect would be due to the suns emissions.... Do these waves have an effect like a tsunami?

Note the entire discussion within which the above quote was written occurred in 2003. It was about Voyager 1 approaching the heliosheath. Voyager has now traversed the heliosheath and the heliopause, exiting the heliosphere altogether back in 2012.

I just noticed this December 16, 2014, NASA article about Voyager 1: Voyager Buffeted By Insterstellar 'Tsunami Waves'. (http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/16dec_voyagercme/)

Haha, so traintaz (haven't see him/her around lately) used the term "tsunami," but judging from the 2003 discussion, the "waves" he/she refers to must just be the solar wind, not the coronal mass ejections that the current article is referring to.

Yes, it's amazing we're still getting information from Voyager 1, but the article is a bit unclear just how that information gets to us. Oh, wait, the button in the middle of the article's interesting chart links to a short youtube video that explains and demonstrates it a bit more. So Voyager, which was launched in 1977, has a "plasma wave instrument" that continues to make this measurement and is continuously, or at least intermittently, sending this information to Earth. I'd say that tops the energizer bunny by a long shot.

grapes
2014-Dec-17, 04:19 AM
And, before Voyager 1, there was/is Voyager 2. :)