PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Mac Heads out there?

lyford
2005-Jan-11, 08:21 PM
Oooh - MacWorld goodies - fresh this morning!

New $499 MiniMac! (http://www.apple.com/macmini/)

New $99 iPod! (http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/)

New - Apps!

New - Servers! (drool)

New - Reality Distortion Field!

Must...resist...urge...to buy.... 8-[

Oh what the heck, iPod here I come!

Amadeus
2005-Jan-11, 08:40 PM
I use a mac all the time at work and have to admit that I do feel rather dirty using a PC... :D

It's about style people!

ToSeek
2005-Jan-11, 09:18 PM
We own four Macintoshes (my desktop, my wife's desktop, a laptop, and our old computer -originally bought in 1985 - that I haven't got the heart to get rid of).

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-11, 09:39 PM
Not much of a Mac fan, but the MiniMac looks pretty cool. Expensive for something with such a low-powered processor, but then the mini-ITX mobo they use is probably pretty costly.

(Okay, looks a bit bigger than mini-ITX, but still...)

lyford
2005-Jan-11, 11:28 PM
Not much of a Mac fan, but the MiniMac looks pretty cool. Expensive for something with such a low-powered processor, but then the mini-ITX mobo they use is probably pretty costly.

(Okay, looks a bit bigger than mini-ITX, but still...)

I think Jobs has a fetish for mini computers - look at the NeXT cube, the the Mac G4 cube and now this...

Appears to be latop guts with a slim case. The CPU is slower than the current line up, but the OS is a bit more optimized and my iBook G4 runs at a nice clip, really only hits a wall when I run Logic Audio with a bunch of plug ins.

What I think is the weak link is the memory. Only 32 megs video ram locks out some higher games (though it seems to run Halo), but it is an entry level box, not competing with Alienware game machines. But only 256 megs of system memory is unforgivable....

I may be tempted to pickup one for the living room - hmmm - with one of these (http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/eyetv500.php) - before the HDTV broadcast copy flag thing goes into effect.

BTW, Slashdot had a funny "Mac Snobbery" (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134742&threshold=1&commentsort=0&t id=179&mode=thread&cid=11246218) reaction post lamenting the fact that the unhip will now be able to afford a Mac. I agree the computers=fashion thing can get tedious REAL quick.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-12, 01:06 AM
This is sooo tempting.

I have an old G3 mac that I managed to get OS X onto. Works ok, but a bit on the sluggish side.

I guess I'll wait until I win the lottery and buy a dual processor PowerMac G5 with dual 30" cimema displays.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-12, 01:27 AM
Now if someone made a 6'' x 6'' socket A mobo and stuck it in a little box like that...

JustAGuy
2005-Jan-12, 02:16 AM
I'm also a Mac guy, but a late convert. Being a software developer, I wouldn't touch OS7,8,9 etc with a 10' pole, but OSX is a dream come true...

enginelessjohn
2005-Jan-12, 09:37 AM
My wife is studying graphic design, and we've got a 500MHz old shape iMac running OS9. It's fine, but given the size of some of the documents that get handled it's running pretty close to meltdown.... But I can see an upgrade on the horizon.....

Cheers
John

Amadeus
2005-Jan-12, 10:00 AM
My wife is studying graphic design, and we've got a 500MHz old shape iMac running OS9. It's fine, but given the size of some of the documents that get handled it's running pretty close to meltdown.... But I can see an upgrade on the horizon.....

Cheers
John

Want some advice m8? I use a Mac for graphic design.
Get her a G5. Theres nothing more frustrating when trying to get a design just right and having to wait for the screen to refresh.

On average I work with some pretty large files but ever since I got me nice new G5 life has been good. It's a shame though that all the screens have now gone widescreen. Looks good for films and stuff but for graphic work you loose the top half of your page. Most graphic work I do is done in portrait layout.

Check out ebay you might be able to get a good G5 with the old studio display screen.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-12, 11:25 AM
I look after a newtwork based on a cluster of Xservers and a studio full of G5s.

At home I have a PC, I only play games at home U C

enginelessjohn
2005-Jan-12, 04:51 PM
Want some advice m8? I use a Mac for graphic design.
Get her a G5. Theres nothing more frustrating when trying to get a design just right and having to wait for the screen to refresh.

On average I work with some pretty large files but ever since I got me nice new G5 life has been good. It's a shame though that all the screens have now gone widescreen. Looks good for films and stuff but for graphic work you loose the top half of your page. Most graphic work I do is done in portrait layout.

Check out ebay you might be able to get a good G5 with the old studio display screen.

Would be nice..... Penny saving starts now :D

Cheers
John

lyford
2005-Jan-12, 05:40 PM
I look after a newtwork based on a cluster of Xservers and a studio full of G5s.
At home I have a PC, I only play games at home U C

Hi Swoop - is this a graphic studio or recording studio? I like how Apple has started the distributed computing ball rolling with Logic Pro - put those other network computers to work! Is this something you may have tried? A reason not to sell my G4 when I dive in for a G5.

enginelessjohn not sure if I am allowed to do an endorsement on BABB, but these folks have hooked me up well in the past -

http://www.powermax.com/cpus/used_by_model.html

My wife still uses a Blue and White G3 from 1999, she can plug in here older peripherals under OS X fine, but we're still waiting for a WACOM driver for the ADB pad. If you have SCSI drives or scanner, pay attention to the card you put in, some play nicer than others.

Oh, and RAM, RAM, RAM!!!!

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-12, 08:42 PM
Sure would have been nice if they'd had an affordable Mac 15 years ago when I was getting started. Too invested in PC hardware, software, and data to switch now.

Jobs really shot himself (and his company) in the foot by tying his superior operating system to over-priced proprietary hardware. He could have had 98% of the market if he just licensed the OS and let others build the low-margin hardware. Like someone else we know.

crateris
2005-Jan-12, 09:36 PM
I'm a MacHead, but I'm not terribly impressed with the Mini Mac.

Can you say eMac? All the Mini Mac is is the eMac less the case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Buy all that stuff separately and you pay more than what you would for the eMac. The only advantage is that you can get an LCD display for it. But, then, can you say iMac G5?

:-?

C>

lyford
2005-Jan-12, 10:14 PM
I'm a MacHead, but I'm not terribly impressed with the Mini Mac.

Can you say eMac? All the Mini Mac is is the eMac less the case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Buy all that stuff separately and you pay more than what you would for the eMac. The only advantage is that you can get an LCD display for it. But, then, can you say iMac G5?

:-?

C>

Yes, I think it's just a eMac or iBook squeezed into the case - but the target market is for those who already have a monitor and keyboard at home, who have had nice experiences with an iPod and maybe, just maybe, have had enough with spyware and MYDOOM impinging on their experience.

I know several folks who "fix" their spyware infections and barely new PCs that have slowed to a crawl by buying another one. If you don't have a geek in the family, you are going to pay the CompUSA repair department 299 smackers for 4 hours of troubleshooting and reinstall.... I think Jobs is trying to make the Mac Mini a viable option to those folks...

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-13, 02:09 AM
It's better to have the monitor and the computer separate. That way, if the monitor goes, you can just hook up a new one insteading replacing the whole rig, and if you upgrade to a better box, you can keep the old monitor.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-13, 05:08 AM
I have a Dell DJ, but my parents use it more than me usually. I'll buy an iPod when I save enough money I guess. I trust Windows software, but Apple accessories.

Harvestar
2005-Jan-13, 08:24 AM
We just ordered the little iPod. :)

And most of the astronomy dept. has Mac laptops. (now that they run on Linux! :) )

enginelessjohn
2005-Jan-13, 08:58 AM
enginelessjohn not sure if I am allowed to do an endorsement on BABB, but these folks have hooked me up well in the past -

http://www.powermax.com/cpus/used_by_model.html

My wife still uses a Blue and White G3 from 1999, she can plug in here older peripherals under OS X fine, but we're still waiting for a WACOM driver for the ADB pad. If you have SCSI drives or scanner, pay attention to the card you put in, some play nicer than others.

Oh, and RAM, RAM, RAM!!!!

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I'm in the UK so I may hunt about for someone similar. But yes RAM is at the top of my list.....

Cheers
John

captain swoop
2005-Jan-13, 10:40 AM
Swoop[/b] - is this a graphic studio or recording studio? I like how Apple has started the distributed computing ball rolling with Logic Pro - put those other network computers to work! Is this something you may have tried? A reason not to sell my G4 when I dive in for a G5.

It's a Graphics and Repro studio. We do everytrhing up to Film and then it's outsourced.
Back in the 90s I worked for a dealership in London called MR Systems, we did a lot of music and video work. One of our customers was a production company called 10\10ths belonging to Nick Mason. (Pink Floyd) It was in a converted warehouse up behind us on Caledonian Road. He had a bunch of his Fararri racers in there as well as some of the PF drumkits.
I fixed Terry Gilliams laptop once as well.

If you go t a website called www.mortuarystudio.com you will find links to a lod of bands. They are all recorded on a Mac and PC in the back room of a friends house.

Amadeus
2005-Jan-13, 10:58 AM
Hi Swoop :D

Am I right in thinking then you are based in London?

I don't suppose you're looking for any designers at the mo?

lyford
2005-Jan-13, 05:57 PM
I fixed Terry Gilliams laptop once as well.
Wow! =D>

Did it look like this? (http://www.ahleman.com/Props/ElectriClerk.html)

http://www.ahleman.com/Props/ElectriClerk.gif

This is actually a Mac SE case mod!

lyford
2005-Jan-13, 07:21 PM
BTW, in a "Mac spotting" vein, JPL (or at least the MER crew) appear to be somewhat of a Mac house. I remember visiting in the 90's and seeing a lot of PowerMacs, now PowerBooks seem to be the vogue. The candy coated Unix strategy seems to have worked for scientists and coders...

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/images/featureTeam20040104.jpg

Oh, and I understand the MERs themselves run on a PowerPC chip, albeit not related too much to the current line. :wink:

Kesh
2005-Jan-14, 05:50 AM
Love my Powerbook.

I'll be buying a copy of iWork as soon as it comes out at the local Apple store, and probably pick up an iPod Shuffle when my tax return comes in. I used to have a 20 Gb iPod, but had to sell it a couple years afo for rent money. The Shuffle may be a lot smaller, but no moving parts is a plus to me.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-14, 10:20 AM
I'm not in London any more, at the moment I am in North Yorkshire. Skipton to be exact.

Amadeus
2005-Jan-14, 10:28 AM
I'm not in London any more, at the moment I am in North Yorkshire. Skipton to be exact.

Ah well, back to work then.... :D

Thanks anyways