PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find images of Jupiter taken by the Hale telescope?

cjackson
2015-Jan-02, 12:30 PM
I'm looking for images of Jupiter and its moons taken pre-1970 by the Hale telescope.

Hornblower
2015-Jan-02, 10:05 PM
I would not be surprised if there are no such images of Jupiter itself, although I would not rule out searches for outlying faint moons. Without some sort of adaptive optics, that telescope would not accomplish anything on a bright object like Jupiter that a smaller instrument could not do just as well. Seeing would limit the resolution.

cjackson
2015-Jan-03, 12:24 AM
I was watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and I realized that they didn't have the benefit of having Voyager images of Jupiter and its moons. I'm just curious as to what kind of astronomical images the effects team would have had available to them.

Hornblower
2015-Jan-03, 01:44 AM
I was watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and I realized that they didn't have the benefit of having Voyager images of Jupiter and its moons. I'm just curious as to what kind of astronomical images the effects team would have had available to them.
Those were artist's renderings based on the best available views at the time, with a considerable amount of guesswork about the finer details. Skilled observers could see more detail in fleeting moments of good seeing than could be had with any photograph at the time. There were no useful close-ups of the moons.

ngc3314
2015-Jan-03, 02:14 AM
There were a couple of B&W images among the collection of prints that the Hale Observatories sold for public use up to the 1970s. Lowell staff did a long-running set of images (naturally) as well. Dunno the odds of finding electronic copies... I have scanned/copied version of Mars and Saturn pictures from Slipher's photographic study of the bright planets, but not Jupiter. As a sample of that era, though, here is a (poorly scanned) image from a transparency that Gene Harlan gave me, which he had just take in 1982 using the then-new 1m reflector at Lick.

Squink
2015-Jan-04, 11:49 PM
I'll bet they have them on postcards at the Palomar Observatory Gift Shop (http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/visitor/giftshop.html).
There's a phone number listed you could call.