PDA

View Full Version : If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples...

Buttercup
2015-Jan-13, 05:21 PM
Gave me a huge laugh...because this is me:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi1mOThmZjNhOGJiYmE5YzMy

I am horrible with math. :lol:

Fazor
2015-Jan-13, 05:27 PM
I think having trouble with word problems is very common, however I always loved them because it gave the math some context.

BigDon
2015-Jan-13, 07:03 PM
If you had trouble with math in your teens the odds are very good you will do much, much better in your thirties. A mature mind is much more disciplined.

I didn't think so either until I got all the way through Boolean algebra in self enrichment courses. I think that Boole guy was crazier than I am.

Algebra made me thick differently. I learned to solve real world issues by thinking about them algebraically. For instance if you apply a+x, and x is a non-zero term, then a+x cannot equal a. Seems absurdly simple to the point of being useless.

Now apply that to situations. A situation or object, "a", that you are familiar with now has an unfamiliar feature, a non-zero "x". You should not assume the thing or situation is still "a". And that has broad implications. (Not counting PTSD and hyper-vigilance.)

And balancing equations! It's possible to do that situationally as well. Though that's more in depth.

A right hemisphere's interpretation of algebra. :)

KaiYeves
2015-Jan-13, 10:37 PM
Math has always been my worst subject, and when I was in High School, my mental response to seeing another word problem starting with "Given..." was "To some people love is given, to others only (http://www.poetrysociety.org/psa/poetry/poetry_in_motion/atlas/littlerock/luck/) 4 pencils while Joe has 7 apples..."

jokergirl
2015-Jan-15, 08:37 AM
Apparently the Swedish Sesame Street equivalent in the seventies was called Five Ants are more than Four Elephants. I still see maths guidebooks with that title around in stores here. It always makes me smile.
This thread title reminded me of it.

;)

Swift
2015-Jan-15, 04:21 PM
A train heads East from Chicago going 37 kph. Another train leaves Detroit, heading West at 43 kph. How many people drown when the Eastbound train plunges into Lake Michigan?

:D

Buttercup
2015-Jan-15, 07:45 PM
A train heads East from Chicago going 37 kph. Another train leaves Detroit, heading West at 43 kph. How many people drown when the Eastbound train plunges into Lake Michigan?

:D

:wall:

And you forgot to include the time of departure for each! :wall: Aaauugh.... {runs for the hills}

jokergirl
2015-Jan-15, 11:03 PM
The "where do trains meet" questions actually have a very pragmatic solution. Most tracks around here have specified places where trains are allowed to pass one another. If one train hasn't arrived yet, the other train has to wait for it to pass. They can't pass just anywhere. So the one way to find out precisely where those trains meet is to ask the railway company.

;)

Infinity Watcher
2015-Jan-16, 12:54 PM
Personally I found maths got a heck of a lot easier once we got rid of all the numbers. I'm rubbish at arithmatic and I've never really gotten my head around long division despite trying several times. Admittedly Logarithms took me a while...but that's partly because I was off sick when we covered them and I did get there eventually (I still want to learn how to use a slide rule, it's a dying art and I think it would be a shame for the skill to be lost completely). I did really used to hate the 'Anne is three years old than Joe. Next year Ian will be three times as old as Lucy was when she was Anne's age. How old is everybody?' type questions, fortunately I had a really good physics teacher who walked me through converting it to maths. I think I got on better with learning maths as part of physics than I did learning it as mathematics...

Ara Pacis
2015-Jan-17, 09:26 AM
Personally I found maths got a heck of a lot easier once we got rid of all the numbers.

So, roman numerals or pie pieces?

Infinity Watcher
2015-Jan-17, 11:00 PM
Et tu Ara Pacis? :D Sed loqueris verum. Suus Incognosco Geometria cum magna facilem.

... easier than my latin studies went for certain :D