PDA

View Full Version : Number of amateur astronomers over time?

hewhocaves
2015-Jan-26, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get some data indicating the number of amateur astronomers per year for say, the last 50 years? My google-fu has come up with nothing to this point.

Data doesn't have to be the greatest - I need a general trend. Is it going up, down, doubling, etc..?

Also helpful would be the number of attendees at star parties, the change in telescope sales, etc... Some indication that the field is thriving and growing.

Thanks very much in advance,

John

Swift
2015-Jan-26, 06:07 PM
I found this UT article from 2011 (http://www.universetoday.com/83479/20-million-observations-by-amateur-astronomers/) that has a graph of the number of observations by the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) over time

AustinR
2015-Apr-05, 03:28 AM
I'd love to see age demographics. I feel young as an amateur astronoker and I'm in my 20s, it'd be great to see data support my suspicions.

redshifter
2015-Jul-12, 10:48 PM
How do you define 'amateur astronomer'? I consider myself an amateur astronomer because I take my astro gear out for astronomical observations, but I don't know that there's anything on the internet that would indicate that. Except for this forum I suppose...