PDA

View Full Version : Do You See a Mountain or a Crater in This Picture?

Fraser
2015-Jan-29, 07:50 PM
Yesterday, we posted an image taken by the HiRISE camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) of an unusual crater formed by a triple-asteroid. We noticed some comments on the article and on social media of people who say, “hey, that looks like a mountain, not a crater!” Thanks to our brains, this is a […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/118616/do-you-see-a-mountain-or-a-crater-in-this-picture/)

Spacedude
2015-Jan-29, 10:15 PM
Sun shinning from the left = Crater
Sun shinning from the right = Mtn

Not much relief or other shadows in the frame for reference but still my first glance was seeing a crater.

Trebuchet
2015-Jan-29, 11:15 PM
As was mine. Rotating it 90 degrees clockwise, so the light comes from the bottom, turns it into a mountain. Of course, the lack of a shadow on the surrounding plain kind of gives it away.

DaveC426913
2015-Jan-30, 12:22 AM
Necker Cubes on Mars? Proof of Martians!

NEOWatcher
2015-Jan-30, 04:59 PM
I can't see a mountain it in that particular picture. I don't know if the raised rim is throwing me off, or if the shadow is throwing me off.
The shadow looks very much cast onto the surface than it does being a surface in the dark. Plus, if it were the shady side of the mountain, then the rim should be getting at least some shadowing.

There are plenty of other pictures where I do see hills or mountains. This one (http://thebigfoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mars-crater.jpg) that I chose at random for instance.

Cougar
2015-Jan-30, 07:10 PM
On the triple-asteroid crater photo, all the other small craters and depressions in the frame have shadows indicating the sunlight is from the right. But the shadow in the 'triple crater' implies sun from the left. So "all the other small craters" are mountains and hills? I'm not grokking this photo at all... but I do like (and wonder about) the isolated family of small circular features emanating from the central crater at about 10:00....