PDA

View Full Version : stupid taskbar...

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-14, 12:52 AM
My taskbar is on the very left of my desktop and is taking up half the whole screen. I tried to scroll it back by using the mouse, but it seems to have been locked in place, and it staying there. How can I fix this? #-o

Ut
2005-Jan-14, 12:53 AM
Right click on it, and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar". Moving it to your preferred location, and relock it.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-14, 01:00 AM
Ok, that works. :)

But the problem is that the taskbar is still stuck on the left side? How do you get it to the bottom? Nothing seems to work.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-14, 01:01 AM
Ahh never mind, I got it. Thanks Ut! 8)

Mars
2005-Jan-14, 04:30 AM
A hammer works.

Joe The Dude
2005-Jan-14, 07:04 AM
Yeah, well... 8-[
A Hammer also works on all but 5 things. :evil:
I never leave home without it. [-X

Enzp
2005-Jan-14, 07:11 AM
I keep mine where it belongs - at the TOP. Why you kids are lucky to even have taskbars.

mickal555
2005-Jan-14, 09:08 AM
I keep mine where it belongs - at the TOP. Why you kids are lucky to even have taskbars. at the TOP :o now thats crazy :o It would make it look like apple (Shudder)

Wally
2005-Jan-14, 01:02 PM
I keep mine where it belongs - at the TOP. Why you kids are lucky to even have taskbars.

You tell 'em! Heck, I remember when I was a kid. We used to have to make our own taskbars. . . out of rock, no less! Chipping away at 'em with nothing but our thumbnail and eyeteeth. . .

When we were finished, we'd have to spend another 2 days down in the clay pits, where we'd fetch up enough red clay to hold the rock taskbars to our tiny 4 inch monitors. . .

And we LIKED it that way!

. . . darn kids these days.

Astronot
2005-Jan-14, 01:59 PM
our tiny 4 inch monitors. . . You had monitors? You had computers? Boy you spoiled rich kids! My brother and I used to take turns drawing each screen individually on a black board while the other used an abacus to make the calculations. Now that was slow computing, but imagine how we rejoiced when could finally afford colored chalk. With out a phone we had to use a string tied to a cans so our we could connect to the Internet. Our friend next door would route our messages. I eventually learned to whistle at 30 baud and do the calculations at the same time, but there was a notable lag in playing Doom this way. Those were the glory days of computing!

mid
2005-Jan-14, 03:30 PM

I'd love to have mine at the top. It's where it belongs, as an ex Amiga nut. Unfortunately, too many dumb Windows programs assume that everyone puts it at the bottom, and insist on opening themselves right to the top of the screen. Which makes reaching the bar for dragging the window to a more sensible position impossible.

Sometimes I really, really hate Windows.

Swift
2005-Jan-14, 03:39 PM
Yeah, well... 8-[
A Hammer also works on all but 5 things. :evil:
I never leave home without it. [-X
Ok, I'll bite.... what are the 5 things? Or would the telling get you banned? :-?

Tranquilis
2005-Jan-14, 03:52 PM

Most days, it hates you right back. 'Windows' is User-Hostile.

mickal555
2005-Jan-14, 04:06 PM

I love windows....
I've tried apple *bleah* feels like a kids toy....

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-14, 04:16 PM

I'd love to have mine at the top. It's where it belongs, as an ex Amiga nut. Unfortunately, too many dumb Windows programs assume that everyone puts it at the bottom, and insist on opening themselves right to the top of the screen. Which makes reaching the bar for dragging the window to a more sensible position impossible.

Sometimes I really, really hate Windows.It was the close button that finally got me. I use to keep mine at the top, but I'm also a big fan of the auto hide to get that extra bit of screen. After all, I know what's running so why do I need it in my face the whole time? Plus I keep the bar 2 rows high so when I do need to see what's running it's not tiny narrow icons. That and I'm still using a 17 in monitor so every pixel of screen is precious real estate.

But after playing peek-a-boo with the #@$&! taskbar a half dozen times every time I'd try to get to the menu bar and the minimize or close buttons espeically, I surrendered and put it on the bottom of the screen again. I tried the sides but that didn't work either. The right side still caused that $%#@ peek-a-boo game when I'd try to close the window and the left side just felt odd. Probably because I'm right handed.

crateris
2005-Jan-14, 04:58 PM
oops

crateris
2005-Jan-14, 05:01 PM

I love windows....
I've tried apple *bleah* feels like a kids toy....

#-o

C.

mickal555
2005-Jan-14, 05:13 PM
what it douse all those corny graphics......

Ut
2005-Jan-14, 05:17 PM
Ya'll could just Object Desktop. I'm not a huge fan of most of the UI customizations or the progams built to run them -- they all seem designed to turn Windows XP into Linux or MacOS -- but to each their own.

pghnative
2005-Jan-14, 07:35 PM
...But after playing peek-a-boo with the #@$&! taskbar a half dozen times every time I'd try to get to the menu bar and the minimize or close buttons espeically, I surrendered and put it on the bottom of the screen again. I tried the sides but that didn't work either. The right side still caused that $%#@ peek-a-boo game when I'd try to close the window and the left side just felt odd. Probably because I'm right handed.I prefer the left side. Keeps the start menu in the top left (ala Macs), gives the icons enough room to include 5-6 letters of the document name. Add the auto-hide and I'm golden.

Theta Orionis
2005-Jan-15, 08:45 AM
I keep mine on the right.
It provides aesthetic balance with the icons on the left.
I have an app that makes the taskbar semi-transparent so the wallpaper can show through. The auto-hide setting is too aggravating.

Enzp
2005-Jan-15, 11:40 AM
The bottom of the screen is where my schematic diagrams are sitting so I can look at them as I type, so I can't see the bottom anyway. Maybe if I got a taller monitor...

Or go to Australia where you have to operate them upside down.