PDA

View Full Version : Gamer stereotypes shattered

Tranquility
2005-Jan-14, 08:12 AM
According to this (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050111/115500_1.html) article, gamers aren't the anti-social losers some folks would have you believe.

New research released today by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shatters myths about the profile of typical American video game players, revealing that they regularly volunteer, exercise, and attend religious services.

BAroxMysox
2005-Jan-14, 08:51 AM
After picking up WoW, I guess I'm a myth now. 8-[

sarongsong
2005-Jan-14, 10:17 AM
"...But what is it kids are getting better at when they play first-person shooters, hour after hour? Many would assume it's a complete waste of time. But the U.S. government would disagree..."
http://www.newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2004-10-14/cover.asp

Colt
2005-Jan-14, 11:45 AM
I'll have to read the rest of that article later but FPS certainly do seem to improve hand-eye-coordination. Ah... The good old days. I used to play FPS online a lot, mostly Half-Life mods like Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike. *wipes away a tear*

Muramoto, 21, looks up at Wentworth with a grin of affirmation. “Dude. You were own-ness.”

This... Person, however, needs to be shot! "own-ness" ? Feh. *does so* - Colt

Tranquility
2005-Jan-14, 02:03 PM
Muramoto, 21, looks up at Wentworth with a grin of affirmation. “Dude. You were own-ness.”

This... Person, however, needs to be shot! "own-ness" ? Feh. *does so* - Colt

Hehe you obviously haven't gone online with FPS games often in the past year. This leet talk is commonplace. I'm sick of hearing kids crying out that they can "pwn all the n00bs on the server" if they had a better mouse, and if I hear the word "pwnage" while playing Unreal Tournament one more time, I'm gonna rip my hair out.

BTW I'm not misspelling "ownage", the community decided to substitute the 'o' for a 'p'. Don't ask why :lol:

Ut
2005-Jan-14, 02:17 PM
Own-ness is a lame word and should never be spoken again. pwnage is perfectly acceptable internet geek speak. The p has replaced the o because it's a very common typo. Just like teh. Like, I am going to bring teh pwnage.

Kebsis
2005-Jan-14, 06:34 PM
Yes, it's sorta tongue in cheek (the 'pwnage' thing). A reference to something common.

I pronounce it pone-age (sounds like just adding p before the word ownage). Some folks pronounce it 'poon-age'. Which do you use?

Tranquility
2005-Jan-14, 06:39 PM
I pronounce it pone-age (sounds like just adding p before the word ownage). Some folks pronounce it 'poon-age'. Which do you use?

Pone-age.
That's the way the UT2004 bots pronounce it anyway, so it must be right :D

Colt
2005-Jan-15, 02:17 PM
Pone-age here. And I know what it is and all... It just annoys the crap out of me when some 14 year old (or someone older with no brains) runs around spouting it like it's a real language and "cool". :evil: The way I learned to type fast and correct was in the middle of firefights in World War II with my Sturmgewehr tucked between my knees. :P - Colt

Ut
2005-Jan-15, 04:52 PM
I don't pronounce it. Ever. Bit if I were to, it'd be pownage.

Colt
2005-Jan-15, 05:01 PM
*scratches head* You don't talk to yourself in your head? Odd.

Amadeus
2005-Jan-15, 05:03 PM
Get Xbox live to play shooters on and you get to use a simpler form of communication......

Talk!

Manys an hour I've spent playing Ghost Recon 2.....

Colt
2005-Jan-15, 05:06 PM
Most PC games support mic now and if not, there are exterior programs you can use. Plus PCs are more adaptable.

Ut
2005-Jan-15, 06:34 PM
But then you have to listen to all the whiny 12 year olds swearing at you like their sailors. Or all of the unadulterated junk talk. It's a lot easier to ignore text on a screen. Especially if you /ignore people.

Amadeus
2005-Jan-15, 06:57 PM
Well thats why you use the xbox live "friends list" feature.

I've got about 30 people on it that I know well and always have a good time with. In fact about 20 of us met up from all parts of the UK to spend a weekend paintball a few months back!

Tranquility
2005-Jan-15, 08:35 PM
lol the only reason I would get XBox Live is to play PES4 online. The multiplayer in the PC version is, surprisingly, pathetic.

Kebsis
2005-Jan-16, 02:10 AM
PES?

I rarely use Xbox live, but when I do it's to play MechAssault. Playing a FPS on a console is like driving a car with your feet. Possible sure, but really annoying. And of course, PC games have supported voice chat for years (I used to use it while playing Quake 2).

Tranquility
2005-Jan-16, 09:27 AM
PES?

Pro Evolution Soccer. Sorry :D

And yeah I hate the idea of playing an FPS with the analog sticks. The mouse/keyboard combo is simply unbeatable in that.