PDA

View Full Version : February New Moon Spotting

Centaur
2015-Feb-17, 08:52 PM
It’s nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. Several favorable orbital circumstances may allow many North Americans to set personal records by spotting the one-day-old Moon shortly after sunset on Thursday, February 19. On February 20 the Moon will appear in a tight grouping with Venus and Mars. On February 21 many observers may witness Diana’s Bow (three-day-old Moon) occulting Uranus.

My more detailed description of the upcoming waxing crescent Moon follows my preview graphics at www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread.

Below is a photo that I shot from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon aged 21:46 hrs on 2007 MAR 19 at 19:29 CDT (a personal record).

Swift
2015-Feb-18, 02:02 PM
Several favorable orbital circumstances may allow many North Americans to set personal records by spotting the one-day-old Moon shortly after sunset on Thursday, February 19.
Nice photo.

Just don't set a personal record for freezing to death. The high in Cleveland on Thursday is expected to be 3F, and that will be just after midnight, dropping after that.