PDA

View Full Version : Happy Chinese New Year! Year of the Wood Goat.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-19, 01:43 AM
Not sure exactly what "Wood Goat" means (yet), but happy anyway! :) It's the 19th in China, and we just returned from a celebratory dinner at our favorite authentic Chinese (what else?) restaurant. :)

Our waiter is very young, born in China, very friendly. If I were younger and single, I'd have kissed him. ;)

We feasted on honey-battered shrimp, steamed rice, crab meat rangoons, lo mein, etc.

After paying, we shook hands and wished each other a Happy New Year.

Nice time had by all. Unfortunately I don't have any fireworks on-hand; next year!

NEOWatcher
2015-Feb-19, 01:57 AM
:shhh: Don't tell Trebuchet (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?136120-Really-trivial-stuff-that-bugs-you&p=2273556#post2273556).

Trebuchet
2015-Feb-19, 02:28 AM
Now you've really gotten my goat!

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-19, 05:21 AM
Stop kidding around.

geonuc
2015-Feb-19, 10:59 AM
Wood goat? That might be a little too specific. I understand there's some debate about whether to call it Year of the Goat or Year of the Sheep.

jokergirl
2015-Feb-19, 01:14 PM
I thought it was ram.

Well how fitting, if it's a goat, I was just writing about a straw goat. ;)

KaiYeves
2015-Feb-19, 02:46 PM
Acting the goat? I'm acting the goat, am I? (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBGyPZkpWz8)

Jim
2015-Feb-19, 03:09 PM
It's the year of the sheep (ram) except in areas where it doesn't translate as sheep (rams) where it's the year of the goat and in some areas they get very specific and make it the year of the wood goat (or the blue goat) and some places get even more specific and it's the year of the female wood goat, female years being more peaceful than male years, so it's really that simple.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2015/02/19/387203812/whatever-floats-your-goat-asian-languages-interpret-lunar-year-animal-differentl

Spacedude
2015-Feb-19, 03:09 PM
Happy Ewe Year!

Yes, that was a Baaaaaaaaad....sheep shot.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-19, 03:16 PM
It's the year of the sheep (ram) except in areas where it doesn't translate as sheep (rams) where it's the year of the goat and in some areas they get very specific and make it the year of the wood goat (or the blue goat) and some places get even more specific and it's the year of the female wood goat, female years being more peaceful than male years, so it's really that simple.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2015/02/19/387203812/whatever-floats-your-goat-asian-languages-interpret-lunar-year-animal-differentl

:wall:

A lady who runs an online Feng Shui business sent me a card stating it's Wood Goat. So I'm going with Wood Goat. :) Wood has to do with the 5 Elements. But I'm not well versed on Chinese Astrology.

Swift
2015-Feb-19, 03:42 PM
Happy Ewe Year!

Yes, that was a Baaaaaaaaad....sheep shot.
Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

profloater
2015-Feb-19, 03:46 PM
wood goats come around every 60 years, so the last ones are still getting used to thumb dialling, which is hard with hooves.

Trebuchet
2015-Feb-19, 05:47 PM
Google's doodle is of a ram.

It figures they'd horn in. Kind of gets my goat. I'd say what I really think but the nanny software would get me. Ha! I kid.

OK, that was cheesy, I guess I've milked it for all it's worth so angora go now.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-19, 05:51 PM
Google's doodle is of a ram.

It figures they'd horn in. Kind of gets my goat. I'd say what I really think but the nanny software would get me. Ha! I kid.

OK, that was cheesy, I guess I've milked it for all it's worth so angora go now.

:lol:

Yes, I saw the Google homepage too.

And now the Feng Shui lady's site is selling Wood SHEEP 2015 almanacs.

Hmmm.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-19, 06:31 PM
treb, why being so sheepish.

Spacedude
2015-Feb-19, 06:42 PM
Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Doing that on this forum would be sheer madness.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-19, 07:59 PM
I wonder how many puns we have to dodge here.

LookingSkyward
2015-Feb-19, 08:08 PM
^nicely done!

Swift
2015-Feb-19, 09:25 PM
http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/288/animated-sheep-image-0057.gif

Spacedude
2015-Feb-19, 09:45 PM
wha?........................................ZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............. ............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ..................

Buttercup
2015-Feb-19, 09:57 PM
But Swift - those are sheep!! :)

Which raises a question about androids. :p

NEOWatcher
2015-Feb-19, 10:30 PM

or ovinoids (http://www.brendaguyton.com/sculpture_images/Sheep_319.JPG).

Swift
2015-Feb-19, 10:39 PM

What about other brands of phones?

wha?........................................ZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............. ............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ..................
Who told you to count them!:naughty:

Noclevername
2015-Feb-19, 10:42 PM
<Baa> PLACE GENERIC SHEEP PUN HERE </Baa>

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-19, 10:45 PM

Before anyone answers is it data or just lore.

Swift
2015-Feb-19, 10:49 PM
Before anyone answers is it data or just lore.
According to the one piece of data that I am familar with, androids do not dream of electric sheep. They dream of hallways, flying, blacksmiths, ravens, and their father.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-19, 10:52 PM
According to the one piece of data that I am familar with, androids do not dream of electric sheep. They dream of hallways, flying, blacksmiths, ravens, and their father.

The one piece of Data that I am familar with is his head, which got buried for a few centuries, but works just fine. I guess they don't build them like they will in the future.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-19, 11:56 PM
This came into my Twitter feed, aka "GeorgeClooneyCat":

(click on to enlarge)

Noclevername
2015-Feb-20, 12:39 AM
This came into my Twitter feed, aka "GeorgeClooneyCat":

That cat's not smug looking enough to be George Clooney.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-20, 03:48 PM
Whether goat or sheep, I for one welcome our new wooly overlords.

BigDon
2015-Mar-01, 09:06 PM
Wood goat?

Did the Chinese eat all the real ones?

KaiYeves
2015-Mar-02, 12:57 AM
Wood goat?

Did the Chinese eat all the real ones?

The Chinese zodiac has three parts when it comes to naming years-- a rotating cycle of 12 years named for animals, and another cycle that gives them each year an element (the five Chinese elements, Water, Fire, Wood, Metal, Earth, not the Classical elements) and the quality of being Yin or Yang.

Therefore, 2015-2016 is the Year of the Yin (quality) Wood (element) Goat (animal). The last year with this specific combination was 1955-1956, while the last Year of the Goat, 2003-2004, was a Year of the Yin Water Goat.

Bruce Lee was, famously, born in 1940-1941, the Year of the Yang Metal Dragon, hence the biopic of him called Dragon.

BigDon
2015-Mar-02, 02:34 AM
The Chinese zodiac has three parts when it comes to naming years-- a rotating cycle of 12 years named for animals, and another cycle that gives them each year an element (the five Chinese elements, Water, Fire, Wood, Metal, Earth, not the Classical elements) and the quality of being Yin or Yang.

Therefore, 2015-2016 is the Year of the Yin (quality) Wood (element) Goat (animal). The last year with this specific combination was 1955-1956, while the last Year of the Goat, 2003-2004, was a Year of the Yin Water Goat.

Bruce Lee was, famously, born in 1940-1941, the Year of the Yang Metal Dragon, hence the biopic of him called Dragon.

I bolded what I knew already, everything else was new. Thanks.

One back at you. Jupiter was known as the Wood Star because of the conspicuous "knot hole".