PDA

View Full Version : Who Speaks for Earth? The Controversy over Interstellar Messaging

Fraser
2015-Feb-19, 07:40 PM
Should we beam messages into deep space, announcing our presence to any extraterrestrial civilizations that might be out there? Or, should we just listen? Since the beginnings of the modern Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), radio astronomers have, for the most part, followed the listening strategy. In 1999, that consensus was shattered. Without consulting with […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/119055/who-speaks-for-earth-the-controversy-over-interstellar-messaging/)

danscope
2015-Feb-19, 08:08 PM
Good idea for a poll, it would seem. Go for it, Fraser.
Dan

Ross 54
2015-Feb-20, 12:14 AM
A very lucid and informative article; thanks for sharing it, Fraser. I was glad to see it discussed, that remarks about how most human radio transmissions are unlikely to be heard at stellar distances are based on the limits of our own receivers.
One frequently encounters such pronouncements as if they applied to all possible stellar civilizations, for all time. A civilization that used the gravity of its own star to collect and focus radio waves could reputedly hear our routine radio traffic from any other point in the galaxy. It seems that Earth has already spoken to the galaxy, albeit unwittingly.

Amber Robot
2015-Feb-20, 05:19 PM
I always thought it was a bit arrogant to be listening for a signal that we ourselves are unwilling to send out. I hadn't heard of the Evpatoria signals until now. I just hope that they didn't send only a single message to each star. It would be really useful for an alien civilization to determine that it was a genuine signal if they detected it more than once, or with some specific frequency that was conspicuous.

KaiYeves
2015-Feb-20, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if everyone was nice but nobody was sending signals because they thought everyone else must be hiding from something since they weren't sending signals, but they just weren't sending them because nobody else was?