http://njnightsky.com/albums/album13/IMG_0042.sized.jpg:D

cyswxman
2005-Jan-31, 08:03 AM
Congratulations!
And welcome to the board! :D

mickal555
2005-Jan-31, 09:48 AM
Hmm I see SALT!!
nah... I'm just jealous(I've never done it myself)
Welcome :D :D

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 09:59 AM
Monday was the equinox? :o

Welcome and congrats, Issflareman. =D>

Candy
2005-Feb-28, 05:39 AM
Did you eat it afterwards? :P

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-28, 08:32 AM
Are you suggesting that everyone should have a balanced diet?

George
2005-Feb-28, 02:07 PM

:) (ok, here we go :-? )...A must for any eggrarian society. :wink:

Rue
2005-Feb-28, 07:42 PM
OMG! Somethings gone askew with the earth!

I enjoyed that chapter too. :)

Welcome.

Candy
2005-Mar-01, 02:46 PM

:) (ok, here we go :-? )...A must for any eggrarian society. :wink:
Sounds formal. http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/funnyegg.gif

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-01, 11:28 PM
Wow, eggcelent picture! :P

cyswxman
2005-Mar-01, 11:38 PM
Don't egg me on! [-(

Sticks
2005-Mar-01, 11:43 PM
I like to be Eggalitarian myself :)

Inferno
2005-Mar-01, 11:44 PM
You know I never heard of the egg balancing on the equinox claim before I came on line. It has to be the silliest urban myth out there.

Candy
2005-Mar-02, 01:47 AM
You know I never heard of the egg balancing on the equinox claim before I came on line. It has to be the silliest urban myth out there.
It's a devilish thought, I know. http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/boiledegg.gif

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-02, 10:40 PM
Eggactly my opinion...

Candy
2005-Mar-03, 03:53 PM
My egg broke. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/o040.gif

cyswxman
2005-Mar-04, 04:40 PM
That's eggstrodinary!!!

Candy
2005-Mar-05, 12:43 PM
I know it's not Easter (http://media.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/2461/flyin_egg_fight.swf), but this is cute. :D

2005-Mar-07, 10:32 AM
Strange as it may seem, I'd never heard of "egg balancing at the equinox" until I read Badastronomy??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a sheltered life I must lead... :o :o :o

mickal555
2005-Mar-07, 10:36 AM
Strange as it may seem, I'd never heard of "egg balancing at the equinox" until I read Badastronomy??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a sheltered life I must lead... :o :o :o
same

Grendl
2005-Mar-08, 01:02 AM
Issflareman, I'm eggstatic for you! I haven't been able to balance an egg, though I always buy jumbo eggs. Has anyone balanced a jumbo egg?

gopher65
2005-Jul-01, 03:32 AM
I've never tried balancing a Jumbo Egg, but medium and large are pretty easy if you have six or seven hours to spend getting it just right.

**Disclaimer: Not all eggs are created equal. Some can't be balanced (or I couldn't do it). Just wait for that special egg to come along. You'll know it when you see it. It will call out to you with a soft and gentle voice. 8-[

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jul-01, 01:52 PM
Just wait for that special egg to come along. You'll know it when you see it. It will call out to you with a soft and gentle voice.
I don't think you're supposed to hatch them

mickal555
2005-Jul-01, 01:53 PM
I've been trying for a year... No less than 4 eggs have been hurtled over my fence into the bush out of frustration...

George
2005-Jul-09, 12:20 AM
I've been trying for a year... No less than 4 eggs have been hurtled over my fence into the bush out of frustration...
:) . I've yet the try knowing my patience will be tried, too.

However, if you haven't quit entirely. Maybe egg shells have fluid properties (like glass). Prop them up for a few months and see if they flatten on the bottom. :wink:

gopher65
2005-Jul-10, 12:45 AM

However, if you haven't quit entirely. Maybe egg shells have fluid properties (like glass). Prop them up for a few months and see if they flatten on the bottom. :wink:

Glass is so cool :D

Stardate
2005-Jul-10, 07:44 PM

Glass is so cool :D

Does this really work? My eggs always egg-pire, before I get around to a craving. This would be an egg-cellent opportune time to egg-periment. Do you keep them in the fridge or on the shelf during settlement?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-10, 07:46 PM
I would assume that the shelf would be better. Chilling the egg whites would probably make them more viscous and the settling would take longer.

Stardate
2005-Jul-10, 07:57 PM
I would assume that the shelf would be better. Chilling the egg whites would probably make them more viscous and the settling would take longer.
Thank you. What fun I'm going to have!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-10, 08:58 PM
Not a problem. Enjoy!

cjl
2005-Jul-17, 06:45 AM

URBAN LEGEND ALERT

Glass actually isn't fluid, it is an amorphous solid, which is very different. It is not crystalline, but it is most definitely not liquid. Also, I've managed to balance eggs about 3 or 4 times before - take your time, and eventually, it will work (unless you shake a lot - my mom has never balanced one in her life, though not for lack of trying. She shakes too much)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jul-17, 05:01 PM
Glass actually isn't fluid, it is an amorphous solid, which is very different. It is not crystalline, but it is most definitely not liquid.

Very true. They've also been able to create a form of tungsten that exhibits the same properties:

http://www.liquidmetal.com/

Unfortunately their name propagates the myth.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jul-17, 06:32 PM
URBAN LEGEND ALERT

Glass actually isn't fluid, it is an amorphous solid, which is very different. It is not crystalline, but it is most definitely not liquid.
but not that very different. It's just a matter of viscosity--glass has a lot higher viscosity than it would have if the legends about flowing windows were true.

Stardate
2005-Jul-17, 06:47 PM
I just bought a half dozen.

Well, there in the fridge, until I eat them or prep them for stardom. :wink:

Iris
2005-Jul-17, 09:37 PM
I have done it too! (http://marle.chronotrigger.com/stageselect/iris/zehegg.jpg) Just yesterday! I am proud. :)

And the said egg has been offered the honor of being my dinner right after I immortalized this. :P

cjl
2005-Jul-18, 05:01 AM
URBAN LEGEND ALERT

but not that very different. It's just a matter of viscosity--glass has a lot higher viscosity than it would have if the legends about flowing windows were true.

Well, yes, if you mean that it's viscosity is infinite. It doesn't flow. No matter how much time you give it, it still behaves like a solid (because it is one). There is a perfectly logical explanation for old windows having thicker bottoms - quality control. The glass was not made as perfectly as today - the thickness varied quite a bit. As a result, most pieces cut for windows had a thicker side. Now, if you were cutting windows of varying thickness, which way would you orient the thick side? The bottom, of course. It's that simple.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jul-18, 03:16 PM
It doesn't flow.
I am definitely not arguing on the side of gl*ss fl*ws :)

No matter how much time you give it, it still behaves like a solid (because it is one).
But solids can flow.

There is a perfectly logical explanation for old windows having thicker bottoms
Agreed--but that's why I called it a legend

cjl
2005-Jul-19, 04:21 AM
Could you please give an example of a solid that could flow? I was under the impression that no solid could flow, but I would be very interested in one that could. Thanks.

Chris

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
Could you please give an example of a solid that could flow? I was under the impression that no solid could flow, but I would be very interested in one that could. Thanks.
The mantle of the earth is solid but flows over geologic time frames. Convection in the mantle almost certainly drives plate tectonics, and such movement can amount to tens of centimeters per year.

Of course, that requires great stress and heat--the definition of liquid is usually that the flow will occur under small stress. The viscosity of the mantle is extremely high, but it is not infinite.

cjl
2005-Jul-19, 01:32 PM
OK, now I see what you're talking about. The mantle is sort of an in between case.

Swift
2005-Jul-19, 03:48 PM

Chris
Ductile metals can flow if enough pressure is put on them, even when they are solid.

eggbalancer
2005-Sep-01, 02:56 AM
Egg balancing can be done on any day of the year. I should know. I hold the world record! We set it on March 15, 2003, a week before the equinox. (Actually, the easiest time I've ever had balancing several eggs quickly was in late October.) Now I'm being flown to Australia to break my own world record! Anyway, I just wanted to put in my two cents about egg balancing.

Brian :)

Sticks
2005-Sep-01, 04:54 AM
Show off [-X

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Sep-01, 04:55 AM
Show off [-X

Jealous ...

J/K ....

:P

mickal555
2005-Sep-03, 05:00 PM
Egg balancing can be done on any day of the year. I should know. I hold the world record! We set it on March 15, 2003, a week before the equinox. (Actually, the easiest time I've ever had balancing several eggs quickly was in late October.) Now I'm being flown to Australia to break my own world record! Anyway, I just wanted to put in my two cents about egg balancing.

Brian :)

Really!

We have a world record show running atm- are you going to be on that?

If so- good luck!

eggbalancer
2005-Oct-11, 02:34 AM
We have a world record show running atm- are you going to be on that?

Hopefully so. There was a camera crew there from Granada, the production company for the Guinness World Records show down under. So if all goes well, I should be on some time soon. In the meantime, here's a link to a video clip of the news story in Colorado featuring my record attempts.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=d21a2c19-0abe-421a-0119-752de9a31f28&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Brian - The Eggbalancer