PDA

View Full Version : Chinese astronomers spot brightest, biggest black hole

selvaarchi
2015-Feb-26, 11:55 AM
A research team led by Chinese astronomers has discovered the most luminous supermassive quasar, a shining object produced by the black hole, ever found in the distant universe.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-02/26/c_134020857.htm

According to a new study published in the British journal "Nature" on Thursday, the quasar is 12 billion times the masses of the Sun and 430 trillion times brighter than the Sun.

The black hole, which is 12.8 billion light years from Earth, was first spotted through a 2.4 meter telescope in Lijiang in southwest China's Yunnan Province and its existence was confirmed by follow-up studies in the United States and Chile.

profloater
2015-Feb-26, 01:14 PM
If it is 12.8 billion light years from us now, and assuming mainstream inflation theory, how long ago did the light we see now leave it? Is the 12.8 billion LY figure based on red shift?

mkline55
2015-Feb-26, 02:26 PM
It took 12.8 billion years. Based on this statement from the article, I would say it is currently much farther away than 12.8 billion light years.

"We were so excited when we found such a luminous object just 900 million years after the Big Bang," said lead author Wu Xuebing of Peking University in Beijing, adding that it will challenge theories on how black holes form and grow.

profloater
2015-Feb-26, 02:35 PM
It took 12.8 billion years. Based on this statement from the article, I would say it is currently much farther away than 12.8 billion light years.

yes I asked the wrong question, so this is a very distant object and rather large for something that formed after only a mere 900 million years. Interesting.

NEOWatcher
2015-Feb-26, 04:44 PM
Isn't this the quasar that Cougar brought up yesterday (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?155920-Early-structure-formation)?

Swift
2015-Feb-26, 05:43 PM
Thread moved from Space Exploration to Astronomy