PDA

View Full Version : Actor Leonard Nimoy has died

Sticks
2015-Feb-27, 05:35 PM
This just breaking on the BBC Website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024), which I was alerted to while listening to BBC Radio 4

US actor Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr Spock in Star Trek, has died at the age of 83 in Los Angeles, his family says

More news coming in

Leonard Nimoy played Mr Spock on Star Trek

His wife has said he died of lung disease

Buttercup
2015-Feb-27, 05:45 PM
Aw, you beat me to it! :( Lung disease - yes. He'd been a heavy smoker for years; regretted it. His Twitter feed often encouraged fans to stop smoking.

So sad at this news, but not unexpected. I saw headline some days ago, of his admission to a hospital. :cry:

malaidas
2015-Feb-27, 05:50 PM
:( if they ever read this, condolences to all his family

to quote an appropriate line in the character which obviously wasn't himself, but truly well delivered ' you have been and always will be my friend... live long and prosper'

CJSF
2015-Feb-27, 05:50 PM
Aw, you beat me to it! :( Lung disease - yes. He'd been a heavy smoker for years; regretted it. His Twitter feed often encouraged fans to stop smoking.

So sad at this news, but not unexpected. I saw headline some days ago, of his admission to a hospital. :cry:

My wife told me he had been admitted to a hospital, so I figured it was either his lungs or his heart. :-(

CJSF

slang
2015-Feb-27, 05:51 PM
83, at least he lived long. Thanks for giving us such a memorable character.

It is scary though.. I typed his name into Google, and the first item Google suggested to add was "Bilbo".

Trebuchet
2015-Feb-27, 05:53 PM
And in the "bad reporting" department, a CNN anchor just described him as having played "Doctor Spock". Groan.

primummobile
2015-Feb-27, 05:57 PM
I'm in shock. I thought he was going to live forever.

redshifter
2015-Feb-27, 06:06 PM
This is depressing. I will miss Nimoy/Spock. I have to give credit to him and the cast of ST (the original series) for getting me started on a lifelong interest in Sci Fi. RIP Mr. Nimoy, you will be missed!

LookingSkyward
2015-Feb-27, 06:10 PM
I am sad, but he lived long and touched many.

docmordrid
2015-Feb-27, 06:45 PM
Mr. Spock is gone at 83. Thank you for so much, Sir.

All Ahead Full. Heading: first star on the left, and straight on for eternity.

http://tinyurl.com/lmej5s9

Ivan Bilic
2015-Feb-27, 06:55 PM
Sad news. Leonard Nimoy 'Mr. Spock' passed away this morning at his home in Bel Air.
NY Times (http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?emc=edit_na_20150227&nlid=67809080&_r=0&referrer=)

I loved original Star Trek series and I must admit he was most recognizable character in series. He was more popular than William Shatner. Even today everybody know who is Mr. Spock...
RIP Leonard Nimoy.

Ivan Bilic
2015-Feb-27, 07:02 PM
Sorry, someone started same thread while I was typing. I did't check it. This thread can be closed or attached to existing one...

Sticks
2015-Feb-27, 07:06 PM
And in the "bad reporting" department, a CNN anchor just described him as having played "Doctor Spock". Groan.

The female broadcaster did that on the BBC Radio 4 PM programme, but corrected herself after a correspondent used the correct term.

There was a Doctor Spock, but he was real and a child psychologist.

Rest in Peace Leonard, you join DeForrest (Bones) Kelly and James Doohan (Scotty)

ToSeek
2015-Feb-27, 07:16 PM
Three threads merged.

As you can imagine, this has hit me pretty hard. Spock - the rational misfit - has been my hero and role model since I was eight years old. I was fortunate to meet Nimoy a few times over the years and have always been impressed with his vitality and enthusiasm. He definitely lived life to the fullest. It's hard to believe that he's gone.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-27, 07:26 PM
I don't what made feel worse this or nearly a broke a couple of bones today.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-27, 07:27 PM
Three threads merged.

As you can imagine, this has hit me pretty hard. Spock - the rational misfit - has been my hero and role model since I was eight years old. I was fortunate to meet Nimoy a few times over the years and have always been impressed with his vitality and enthusiasm. He definitely lived life to the fullest. It's hard to believe that he's gone.

Care to share some anecdotes? :)

I enjoyed his Twitter feed. A couple of months ago he asked us for a hug, and got zillions of replies. He was so happy about that, exclaiming "What a family!"

Ivan Bilic
I still haven't been borned to watch original series when it was aired on television. But I was watching it on multiple ocasions after. It is still one of my favourite series. And I must admitt that I knew for Mr. Spock long time before I knew of captain Kirk. Spock was really special caracter. I guess he was most known carachter from Star Treks. Young generations nowadays probably don't remember rest of the crew but they all know who is Mr. Spock. Also original series was far more better than any of clones series that followed. I remember when I was kid, I sow one of the movies in cinema. And in that movie at the end Spock is gone, everybody thought he was dead. But in next movie it turned that he was hybernated and he comes back. This time it seems he has gone for real....

George
It is sad news (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/27/leonard-nimoy-spock-star-trek-dead-at-83/) to learn of his demise. Though 83, he did live long and prospered.

I still recall the enjoyment of rushing back to the dorm to watch the series on the little tv in the dorm's little lounge. The show made quite an impression upon me.

Clear skies all the way, Spock!

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-27, 07:31 PM
see small media at large.

George
2015-Feb-27, 07:32 PM
Oops, there is thread in the media forum.... here (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?155944-Actor-Leonard-Nimoy-has-died).

George
2015-Feb-27, 07:34 PM
Three threads merged.

As you can imagine, this has hit me pretty hard. Spock - the rational misfit - has been my hero and role model since I was eight years old. I was fortunate to meet Nimoy a few times over the years and have always been impressed with his vitality and enthusiasm. He definitely lived life to the fullest. It's hard to believe that he's gone. Did you get to visit with him during those meetings? I would enjoy hearing from anyone who got to know him a little.

I still recall the enjoyment of rushing back to the dorm to watch the series on the little tv in the dorm's little lounge. The show made quite an impression upon me.

Clear skies all the way, Spock!

DonM435
2015-Feb-27, 07:36 PM
It seems like he'd always been around. A major symbolic figure to people my age, and a positive influence, I think.

ToSeek
2015-Feb-27, 07:44 PM
Care to share some anecdotes? :)

No real specifics. Saw him in "Vincent" many years ago. Saw him at a convention just a few years back and was just so impressed that someone eighty years old still had that much energy and enthusiasm.

malaidas
2015-Feb-27, 07:52 PM
I think as Spock he probably touched more lives than any other character in the star trek universe. The fight between the human and Vulcan, logic and emotions touched all of us I think.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-27, 08:03 PM
Off unto the undiscovered country.

swampyankee
2015-Feb-27, 08:20 PM
Rest in Peace.

geonuc
2015-Feb-27, 08:42 PM
Yeah, this is a sad one. Everyone wanted to be like Spock and it's because of how well Nimoy created the character.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-27, 10:21 PM
Wow, an era has ended.

His portrayal of Spock is probably the main reason Star Trek became as big as it did. He certainly was the most expressive emotionless character of all time, and all because of Nimoy's acting. Condolences to all his family and fans.

Spacedude
2015-Feb-27, 10:24 PM
R.I.P. our friend.
I was looking forward seeing him play Mr. Spock in future roles of the new movie series.
Scotty has beamed him up for the last time :(

Eclogite
2015-Feb-27, 10:38 PM
Since he will achieve a form of immortality through fond remembrance by many, some not yet born, we can affectionately say, "It's death Jim, but not as we know it."

docmordrid
2015-Feb-27, 11:02 PM
George Takei's facebook page

Today, the world lost a great man, and I lost a great friend. We return you now to the stars, Leonard. You taught us to "Live Long And Prosper," and you indeed did, friend. I shall miss you in so many, many ways.

William Shatner

I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent, and his capacity to love.
Patrick Stewart

It is with sadness that I heard this morning of the death of friend and colleague Leonard Nimoy. I was lucky to spend many happy hours with Leonard socially and in front of the camera. The caliber and serious commitment of his work on Star Trek was one of the things all of us on Star Trek: The Next Generation sought to match and be inspired by. His work will not be forgotten.

malaidas
2015-Feb-27, 11:52 PM
the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. he wasn't Spock, but in many ways he was. His dedication to the beautiful fantasy which is the star trek universe was second to none. His love of sci fi and the way he presented his character made him more than just an actor for so many of us. He inspired us towards scientific thinking, he introduced us to the concept of being logical and not giving way to emotions at the expense of doing right. Spock was a role model for those of us given to scientific thinking,and Leonard made Spock into what he was.

Solfe
2015-Feb-28, 02:10 AM
I really enjoyed his works, but judging by the wonderful statements made by his friends and colleagues, Mr. Nimoy was amazing person.

novaderrik
2015-Feb-28, 04:16 AM
he was also Galvatron in the only Transformers movie that mattered.

KaiYeves
2015-Feb-28, 04:59 AM
RIP to an amazing BU alum. I may bring a flower to the case about him in the campus library tomorrow.

Ara Pacis
2015-Feb-28, 06:27 AM
First Mork and now Spock. All my Science Fiction heroes are going.

Trebuchet
2015-Feb-28, 03:46 PM
I wonder if William Shatner, when his time comes, will get the same sort of love. I suspect not.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-28, 03:48 PM
I wonder if William Shatner, when his time comes, will get the same sort of love. I suspect not.

He's already got it from his mirror.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-28, 04:01 PM
In Shatner's defense, he does do a lot of charity work - particularly concerning disabled children (riding his horses). He doesn't "toot his horn" in this regard; another celeb (can't recall who) mentioned it.

wd40
2015-Feb-28, 05:01 PM
I hope Nimoy's body gets a good Jewish burial as befits his
ancestry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5SKWfFyhw)
& as in "The Search for Spock".

grapes
2015-Feb-28, 05:07 PM
I still haven't been borned to watch original series when it was aired on television.

Not only was I an original fan, I was an original fan of this show:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jw5nr_the-project-strigas-affair_shortfilms

wd40
2015-Feb-28, 07:05 PM
Spock's funeral (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40&feature=youtu.be) from Star Trek II.

danscope
2015-Feb-28, 08:07 PM
May I add that Leonard was perhaps one of the very best narators in the industry, with a remarkably clear voice and a comfortable handle on technology , great timing , and projected confidence which all carried over to his work.
He brought extra life to his projects and will be sorely missed.
One of a kind , indeed.

Buttercup
2015-Feb-28, 08:12 PM
May I add that Leonard was perhaps one of the very best narators in the industry, with a remarkably clear voice...

Oh yes, I loved his voice! I once (as a kid) fell asleep to him narrating an episode of "In Search Of..." A powerful voice, but also soothing.

Gillianren
2015-Feb-28, 10:52 PM
I hope Nimoy's body gets a good Jewish burial as befits his
ancestry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5SKWfFyhw)
& as in "The Search for Spock".

I hope he gets the funeral that he wanted and makes his loved ones happy, regardless of his ancestry.

novaderrik
2015-Mar-01, 03:00 AM
don't worry... Kirk is on it:

http://newsthump.com/2015/02/28/william-shatner-steals-space-shuttle-to-search-for-reborn-leonard-nimoy/

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-01, 04:43 AM
I hope he gets the funeral that he wanted and makes his loved ones happy, regardless of his ancestry.

don't worry... Kirk is on it:
I haven't heard any news about what kind of funeral it's going to be, but it's pasted all over the news that Shatner can't attend.

novaderrik
2015-Mar-01, 09:24 AM
did you even click on my link?

spoiler alert: space shuttle that never actually flew under it's own power but has a familiar name and the plot from ST3...

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-01, 01:58 PM
did you even click on my link?
Yes; I did and thought it was amusing (was even going to comment about the documentary being a historical document).

I just thought the mention of Shatner was a good kickoff point for the story along with the lack of funeral information which became a higher priority in my mind.

Sorry if I misled you.

TJMac
2015-Mar-01, 02:25 PM
I saw the news of Mr. Nimoy's passing yesterday. I was oddly and unexpectedly moved and saddened. He seemed to be one of the truly classy people.

TJ

Buttercup
2015-Mar-01, 03:06 PM
Grossly unfair of NY Daily News to attack William Shatner. I've sent two supportive Tweets to Mr. Shatner, who just now is raising this issue and asking for comments.

Leonard Nimoy would be angry with "the media" right now.

grant hutchison
2015-Mar-01, 05:37 PM
Some people seem to be confusing one actor missing another's funeral with Captain Kirk missing Spock's funeral.
They also seem to be confusing the customs of their tribe with the laws of nature. Different people have different attitudes to funerals (their own or someone's elses), and getting snotty about someone else's mourning rituals is a sure sign that you don't really get out in the world much.

Grant Hutchison

grapes
2015-Mar-01, 05:48 PM
Not only was I an original fan, I was an original fan of this show:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jw5nr_the-project-strigas-affair_shortfilms
When I posted that, I hadn't yet watched it. Kind of amusing that Shatner and Nimoy were so in trek character, two years before Star Trek :)

Also, they say Coline Serreau was set to direct the remake of her film 3 Hommes et Un Couffin and had even cast the three male leads when she dropped out, and Nimoy took over. Anybody have the details on that?

publiusr
2015-Mar-01, 09:46 PM
His last science report: http://www.americaspace.com/?p=77742

Goodbye: http://www.nasa.gov/content/astronaut-salutes-nimoy-from-orbit/

Jim
2015-Mar-01, 11:44 PM
I saw the news of Mr. Nimoy's passing yesterday. I was oddly and unexpectedly moved and saddened. He seemed to be one of the truly classy people.

TJ

Nimoy was asked to reprise Spock for the animated series. He refused because they hadn't made offers to Takei and Nichols.

He also turned down a proposal for a Spock spinoff series.

He was a bit upset that Spock was originally left out of ST:TMP, but then agreed to do ST:TWOK only if they killed off Spock. He agreed to do ST:TSFS only because they offered to let him direct ST:TVH, and he refused to allow subtitles showing the conversation between the probe and the whales.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Mar-01, 11:59 PM
Nimoy was asked to reprise Spock for the animated series. He refused because they hadn't made offers to Takei and Nichols.

He was a bit upset that Spock was originally left out of ST:TMP, but then agreed to do ST:TWOK only if they killed off Spock. He agreed to do ST:TSFS only because they offered to let him direct ST:TVH, and he refused to allow subtitles showing the conversation between the probe and the whales.
That was mostly because the whales were yankee fans and he was a red sox fan.

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-02, 12:49 AM
He did want to avoid returning to television and did turn down a role in Star Trek Phase II. But; I don't remember that as being considered a "Spock spinoff"

Not exactly;
When he was asked, he did request to direct that movie (nothing about TVH), but Gary Nardino told him that he already had that idea, so it really wasn't an issue.
The problem came when it all came down to negotiating. Paramount would not return his agent's calls until Nimoy finally met with Michael Eisner (who also thought Nimoy directing was a great idea for the publicity).

Eisner and the business staff was the one who was under the impression that the contract called for killing off Spock. Nimoy's "I am not Spock" was misinterpreted as him not wanting to reprise the role. It was Nimoy who pushed Eisner to pull the tWoK contract to show that it was not in there. Once the contract was reviewed, there was no issue.

This is according to the bonus features on the tSfS DVD in Nimoy's own words.

On the other hand, Kirsty Alley absolutely hated being associated with Star Trek after her first Star Trek convention.

TVH was only a result of the success of tSfS and it was the request of the studio for Nimoy to direct.

As far as the subtitled probe. Nicholas Meyer was the one who wrote it that way. The studio requested Nimoy to subtitle it, but it was Meyer who defended it.
(again, per the extras on the DVD, in Meyer's words)

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-02, 12:59 AM
Being insufficiently Trekked, I need an explanation for most of the acronyms in the two or three posts above.

malaidas
2015-Mar-02, 01:06 AM
TMP: star trek the motion picture
TWOK: star trek 2: the wrath of kahn
TSFS: star trek 3: the search for Spock
TVH: star trek 4: the voyage home.

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-02, 01:24 AM
Being insufficiently Trekked, I need an explanation for most of the acronyms in the two or three posts above.
Sorry, In most cases I don't like un-explained acronyms myself. But; in a Star Trek discussion, those are usually givens.

Thanks malaidas for helping Treb.

SeanF
2015-Mar-02, 02:58 AM
And Koenig.

FWIW, though, Takei and Nichols were brought on board (Koenig was not brought back as an actor, but he did write one episode), and Nimoy agreed to do the series, which ran for 22 episodes.

starcanuck64
2015-Mar-07, 10:52 PM
Somehow I missed this, some people you just want to go on forever and in a way they do. Goodbye Leonard.

malaidas
2015-Mar-17, 11:38 AM
Change is the essential process of all existence.
--SPOCK, Star Trek: The Original Series, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"