PDA

View Full Version : Back from AAS

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-15, 06:23 PM
Well, AAS was a hoot -- biannual meeting of astronomers in San Diego. Just got home last night after six eventful days exploring the universe.

Ran into our own Dr. Phil "Bad Astro" Plait whilst there. He's a wild man. ;)

http://www.thespacewriter.com/bad_astro_aas.jpg

Also, the torrential rains that have been flooding SoCal the past few weeks caused the usually-small San Diego River to overflow its banks out behind the hotel complex where we were all staying. So, I ran out one morning and snapped a bunch of images of the event. If it had rained one more day they might have had to evacuate the hotels and meeting site!

http://www.thespacewriter.com/flood_aas.jpg

Finally, I always wanted my picture taken next to a galaxy (http://www.thespacewriter.com/2005_01_01_thespacewriter_archive.html#11054082088 4954451) and I finally got my chance!

It was a great meeting and good to see the Good Doctor as usual! ;)

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-15, 07:19 PM
Hehe, I like the look on the BA's face there. A sort of "not sure about this but maybe if I do what she says she won't kill me" look. :wink:
Sure sounds like it was fun! I'll be sure to get to one of those AAS meetings in a few years... 8)

Maksutov
2005-Jan-15, 09:35 PM
Hehe, I like the look on the BA's face there. A sort of "not sure about this but maybe if I do what she says she won't kill me" look. :wink:
Sure sounds like it was fun! I'll be sure to get to one of those AAS meetings in a few years... 8)
I thought the BA's expression might have been in reaction to someone saying "I'd sure hope we'll be discussing Hoagland's theories tonight!"

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-15, 10:56 PM
Well, in BA's favor, he did just put up with me sticking a camera in his face and take a picture... it happened to me a lot too, and I wasn't nearly as photogenic as he is!

;)

Yes, the meetings are fun. I come home exhausted by exhilirated by the experience of meeting so many colleagues, hearing great talks, reading cool papers, and visiting with old friends every time.

ngc3314
2005-Jan-17, 10:30 PM
Well, in BA's favor, he did just put up with me sticking a camera in his face and take a picture... it happened to me a lot too, and I wasn't nearly as photogenic as he is!

;)

Yes, the meetings are fun. I come home exhausted by exhilirated by the experience of meeting so many colleagues, hearing great talks, reading cool papers, and visiting with old friends every time.

Aside from chatting with old buddies that I see only at these meetings, you do better than I. I often feel pretty depressed for a few days after a big meeting. Possible causes I've considered include (a) noting how many extremely clever people are present, much more clever than I, meaning that my contributions to the field are almost certainly redundant, (b) how little progress all these very clever people (self excepted as not even counting) are making on the really basic problems, or (c) the letdown as adrenalin seeps away, since things are normally so busy preparing material for meeting preparations.

I was reassured that (c) is a major part of it, noticing the same letdown after software meetings in which I had no emotional career investment whatsoever. (But feel free to offer me chocolate, especially semi-sweet, if you run into me at a AAS meeting - it might help!)