PDA

View Full Version : Contact DVD

Wiley
2001-Nov-13, 04:38 PM
If you have read the thread "BA in 2001", you may recall that I've recently purchased a DVD player. Last weekend I rented the Contact DVD and was extremely glad I did. The DVD is much better than the video release.

First, you get widescreen version of the film, not the pan-and-scan version. With the pan-and-scan version you are literally missing half the frame and the visual impact of the film is significantly reduced. For a film like Contact, you lose a lot. I remember seeing this movie in the theatre, and in the scene where Ellie (Jodie Foster) looks over the railing of the machine down to the ocean below, I got the same queesiness in my stomach I get when I look down from real heights. When seeing this movie in the pan-and-scan version on video, this scene did nothing for me, but now on DVD, it retains much of its former impact. The opening sequence, the scenic shots of the VLA, and others regain what was lost going to video format.

The opening sequence is one of the best openings of any movie ever. One of the goodies on the DVD is behind the scenes making of this sequence. You get to see the failed attempts at creating Jupiter's red spot, the close up of Mars where you can actually see the face, and all layering effects required for the Eagle nebula. And you also hear the designers discussing how the balanced scientific accuracy with what looked cool. If you liked this opening as much as I did, you'll find this very interesting.

There are many other goodies on the DVD like audio commentaries by Jodie Foster and Robert Zemeckis (director) and more "making of (insert cool scene here)" shorts.

In short, I recommend you get the DVD and reexperience this great movie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2001-11-13 11:41 ]</font>

David Hall
2001-Nov-13, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I can second that one. I rented it about a month ago myself. It's quite good. It's one of the first ones on my buy list as soon as I scrape enough moolah together. The behind the scenes stuff is mostly about the design and computer graphics creation though. Not much on any other aspects of the filming.

And hey, did you think the commentators on the opening sequence part were a couple of dorks too? I mean, one of them called the Eagle nebula the Eagle galaxy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Another one I recommend VERY highly is the Apollo 13 DVD. This one has lots of goodies. There are two audio tracks of running commentaries, one from Hanks and one from Lowell. And there's also a full 1 hour documentary and behind the scenes making of video, with interviews with the astronauts and other people depicted in the movie, special effects discussions, and commentaries on how they tried to get everything as accurate as possible. If you can buy only one DVD this year, I'd say this one was it. Trust me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Wiley
2001-Nov-13, 05:39 PM
On 2001-11-13 11:52, David Hall wrote:

And hey, did you think the commentators on the opening sequence part were a couple of dorks too? I mean, one of them called the Eagle nebula the Eagle galaxy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah, I though about mentioning this in my initial post. It's really surprising there is not as much BA in the opening sequence when the lead designers don't know the difference between a galaxy and nebula. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-13, 07:19 PM
On 2001-11-13 11:38, Wiley wrote:
I remember seeing this movie in the theatre, and in the scene where Ellie (Jodie Foster) looks over the railing of the machine down to the ocean below, I got the same queesiness in my stomach I get when I look down from real heights.

Railing? I missed that, I thought the whole machine went transparent, and she just looked straight down. Gotta go watch it again. Dang.

Wiley
2001-Nov-13, 07:45 PM
On 2001-11-13 14:19, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On 2001-11-13 11:38, Wiley wrote:
I remember seeing this movie in the theatre, and in the scene where Ellie (Jodie Foster) looks over the railing of the machine down to the ocean below, I got the same queesiness in my stomach I get when I look down from real heights.

Railing? I missed that, I thought the whole machine went transparent, and she just looked straight down. Gotta go watch it again. Dang.

I mean the railing on the plank as she is walking towards the pod. Once in the pod and the machine starts, the floor of the pod becomes transparent.