PDA

View Full Version : Huygens the It's Miller Time Mission?

dgavin
2005-Jan-15, 10:21 PM
It's now been almost 39 hours since it's landed, all thats been released is seven images?

Even the shows that the Science Channel had planned were not done for lack of information passed to them.

Where is the information from the gas anaylzers? And from the Radio Spectragraphs? The other sensors?

Where are the rest of the over 400 pictures?

Did ESA just decide that thier probe made it, and go out for a miller to celebrate? Take the rest of the weekend off? Thats what it's looking like from where many people sitting, waiting patienly for more then the dribble they are getting.

Phil, is there anyone at NASA you could talk to about getting some of the Atmospheric Analysis posted to web.

I know it's ESA's baby, but this is really getting disturbing at how little of information is being released.

SSJPabs
2005-Jan-15, 10:23 PM
I agree, I'm dying to know what the atmospheric pressure and what it looks like myself...

novaderrik
2005-Jan-15, 11:16 PM
you mean that techno music they played at the press conference this morning wasn't enough to make you happy?
y'all are really hard to please, you know that?

2005-Jan-16, 12:18 AM
I am fully expecting science results to take months to be revealed. What's the rush? Titan will still be there. Let them take their time and get it right.

Grand Vizier
2005-Jan-16, 12:31 AM
'Miller Time'? What's that?

Lance
2005-Jan-16, 12:39 AM

It's USA'n for "quitting time" or "time to relax". Miller is a fairly popular brand of beer here.

ESA's in Germany, right? It's probably more like "Beck's Time".

dgavin
2005-Jan-16, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't expect it to take months to get the Atmosperic compisition down. Even Gas Cromatographs of 9 years ago would give a read out in a matter of hours.

They have to have some reading by now on trace elements, etc...

Grand Vizier
2005-Jan-16, 12:55 AM

It's USA'n for "quitting time" or "time to relax". Miller is a fairly popular brand of beer here.

Oh, that stuff. I didn't think in terms of beer, sorry. But in terms of foreign, Beck's is generally better regarded here in the UK too, along with Budvar. We would say here, however, 'time for a swift half'* or (I suggest this an an international standard) 'time for a cold one' - which now invites all those jokes about warm flat British beer...

* A swift half does not imply swiftness or mean anything as small as a half-pint. It's just an idiom.

Lance
2005-Jan-16, 01:06 AM
... or (I suggest this an an international standard) 'time for a cold one' - which now invites all those jokes about warm flat British beer...

* A swift half does not imply swiftness or mean anything as small as a half-pint. It's just an idiom.

That works. We know what "a cold one" is over here too. And "warm flat British beer" is great, once you understand it. "Pint of bitters" right?

ToSeek
2005-Jan-16, 01:15 AM
I agree, I'm dying to know what the atmospheric pressure and what it looks like myself...

They had graphs showing the pressure and temperature on the way down at the 5 am (EST) press conference this morning. I can't find them online anywhere yet, though.

mike alexander
2005-Jan-16, 01:51 AM
I'd kinda like to see the mass spectrometry results, myself. Professional interest, and all that.

harlequin
2005-Jan-16, 04:42 AM
It's now been almost 39 hours since it's landed, all thats been released is seven images?

http://mars.lyle.org/titan/raw/ 8)

This was up by Friday evening with hundreds of images.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-16, 05:43 AM
To me, most look like duplicates.

harlequin
2005-Jan-16, 06:03 AM
Re: http://mars.lyle.org/titan/raw/

To me, most look like duplicates.

No it is not. Though the view did not change much once it landed. The images are out of order. You can see descent images, for example, in the 500s.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-16, 06:20 AM
Ah. I thought it might be something like that, but I went and stuck my foot in my mouth instead. Whoops.

Kaptain K
2005-Jan-16, 06:38 AM
...which now invites all those jokes about warm flat British beer...

...Lucas refrigerators!

Sorry, I once owned a '56 Austin Healey 100-4 (when it wasn't in the shop!).

Doodler
2005-Jan-16, 03:31 PM
I wonder if that's how the lander catalogued them, or if its how the Cassini relayed them to Earth?

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 03:40 PM
ESA's in Germany, right?

ESA is a bit everywhere in Europe :)

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 03:46 PM
I think there is a little bit of overreaction on the spreading of data. (almost) all raw pictures were very rapidly available on the net, and it wouldn't hurt to me if they elaborate the other data a bit instead of releasing just data blocks. As said, Titan will still be here next week. To me it's no problem if some of the data takes a while. They shared the raw pictures, if they can't keep you busy untill you have the other data I don't know why you want that data anyway. Of course they don't have to needlessly withhold the data, but there's no need to send the data directly from Cassini to a webserver. I would welcome processed data that took a while to process but is nicely readable (and hence workable).

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jan-16, 03:54 PM
ESA's in Germany, right?

ESA is a bit everywhere in Europe :)

European Space is almost like a Global space agency, I've heard they have scientists from Greece, Poland and Luxembourg and 15 Member States are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. They also work in joint partnerships with many NASA missions like the Ulysses, Hubble, the Soho, and Hubble-future-replacement the JWST along with other American/European missions. They do training from the Russians aswell, and are sharing info with the Chinese in the Cluster/Doublestar mission. On average, every citizen of an ESA Member State pays, in taxes for expenditure on space, about the same as the price of a cinema ticket, but they still have the ability to do great mission like Mars-Express or Landing on Titan with NASA. Nations like Canada and Hungary participate in some projects under cooperation agreements.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 04:02 PM
I could give a link to a description of how ESA is organised, of give locations of various ESA buildings throughout Europe, but I think this picture of Ariane5 says it all:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/launcher/V160_D.jpg

Ever seen a launcher with that many flags, logos etc? 8)

ESA, just like Airbus, is something like a group of companies, facilities etc throughout Europe (and beyond).

ToSeek
2005-Jan-16, 04:08 PM
I could give a link to a description of how ESA is organised, of give locations of various ESA buildings throughout Europe, but I think this picture of Ariane5 says it all:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/launcher/V160_D.jpg

Ever seen a launcher with that many flags, logos etc? 8)

ESA, just like Airbus, is something like a group of companies, facilities etc throughout Europe (and beyond).

I wonder how many arguments there were about where to place each flag. ;)

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 06:27 PM
I wonder how many arguments there were about where to place each flag.

Keeping in mind that this is Europe, there HAS to be a "fair" logic behind it, but I haven't searched for it yet. 8)

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 06:29 PM
It seems to be in alphabetical order from the upper left to the lower right

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-16, 07:41 PM
It seems to be in alphabetical order from the upper left to the lower right

Ah ...

In Whose Language?

Looks like in English ...

Wonder how Long, that Agreement took, to Work Out?

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 07:48 PM
THat's my ESA!!

"hey let's put all the flags on the rocket!"
"good idea!!"
"who shall we put first?"
"Well, we are the biggest country"
"Yes but we put more money per person into ESA"
"We were first to subscribe into ESA"
"We had the majority in the design of the Ariane 5"
"OK OK let's just do it in alphabetical order"
"Good idea!!"
"In which language?"
"HIT"
"..."
"He had a good point though"
"We'll continue this tomorrow..."

:D

I haven't searched which language. I Checked it on English, but it might as well work in French, and maybe in the language of each country. And in that case we are very lucky that the country's name starts with the same letter for multi-language countries...

Nicolas
2005-Jan-16, 09:19 PM
I think it's in English, otherwise you might get into trouble with Sweden and Switzerland in some languages...

SSJPabs
2005-Jan-17, 12:35 AM
Why didn't they just use the EU flag?
http://europa.eu.int/images/hp/flag_eu.gif

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jan-17, 12:47 AM

this goes 2 politics, some are in Europe but they don't want the Euro expansion,

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/archive/2004/12/13/NEWS10ZM.html

EU flag row - Worthing, said: "The EU flag is the flag of a totalitarian foreign power.... bla bla
I'm not going to remark much because it goes to politics
except there are some who don't want the Euro symbols
don't want the European banks, the trade agreement, the Flag....

Robert Andersson
2005-Jan-17, 01:01 AM
Because ESA is a joint effort of some European nations, unrelated to the European Union. Norway, for example, is part of ESA but not the EU.

2005-Jan-17, 01:02 AM
Wild guess: because the ESA and the EU have different memberships.

From Who belongs to ESA? (http://www.esa.int/esaCP/GGG4SXG3AEC_index_0.html)

ESA’s 15 Member States are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Greece and Luxembourg are expected to become members of ESA in 2004.
From European Union Member States (http://europa.eu.int/abc/governments/index_en.htm)

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, United Kingdom
For instance, Norway is in ESA but not EU. Czechia is in the EU but not ESA.

Edit: I am ToSeeked by this much: --> || <--

Ilya
2005-Jan-17, 03:43 AM

You mean that swill is beer??