PDA

View Full Version : The Night Mars Was Closest to Earth

Fraser
2015-Mar-06, 02:21 PM
Editor’s note: On August 27, 2003 Mars was closer to Earth than at any time in human history. Author Andrew Chaikin asked Universe Today to tell the story of how he was fortunate enough to enjoy the event with Don Parker, a “superb planetary photographer and wonderful guy,” Chaikin wrote. “I first met Don, a […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/119260/the-night-mars-was-closest-to-earth/)

Spacedude
2015-Mar-06, 02:30 PM
I recall back then when some of my family members were forwarding me those Mars emails stating that "Mars would appear as large as the full moon". I had to perform some informational damage control.

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-06, 03:47 PM
And people are still forwarding those, every dang August!

redshifter
2015-Mar-09, 08:17 PM
I haven't gotten one of 'those' emails in a few years, but I certainly was getting them long after 2003! I think I had to explain this to my in laws at least a few times...

I did get one of the best views of Mars I've ever gotten through my 'scope that August however. Sadly, it wasn't as big as the full moon - even at 300X.

Spacedude
2015-Mar-09, 09:26 PM
I told my brothers and sisters that if Mars ever appeared as big as the full moon......then it's time to worry a bit.