PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a land-line phone?

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-11, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking we should cancel ours. We use our mobiles nearly always. Almost nobody calls on the landline except scammers. (Yesterday I had "Steve Martin" from India warning that the IRS had a judgement against me.) Problem is, we've had this number for more than 35 years and it's distributed all over the place.

Has anyone here cancelled a land line and gone all mobile? How did it work out? Any problems, especially serious ones?

PetersCreek
2015-Mar-11, 06:52 PM
We ditched our land line a few months ago. We wanted to trim some of the fat from our cable/internet bill (we had VOIP service) and the deluge of election season surveys and pitches was the last straw we needed. We've had stable cell phone numbers for years, so the transition was pretty much no problem for us. We don't miss the land line at all.

Swift
2015-Mar-11, 06:55 PM
When we moved in September we didn't get a physical, wired separately land-line phone (we had one at the old place), but got VOIP through our cable/Internet provider.

primummobile
2015-Mar-11, 06:59 PM
We don't have a landline phone, but we do have a DSL for internet service. We've had this same arrangement for eleven years now.

redshifter
2015-Mar-11, 07:06 PM
We haven't had a land line in years. Cell phone only in our house. We got VOIP as a bundled package when subscribing to cable TV (cheaper that way), but we don't use it and I couldn't even tell you the phone number for it. I could see the need for a land line if you had serious health issues where you need to call 911 on a fairly regular basis.

danscope
2015-Mar-11, 07:12 PM
I kept my land line, and only use my cell for rare emergencies and on the road contact.
I lost my wallet the other day, and the store which had it looked up my number and called me " ON MY LAND LINE.
Saved me a lot of grief I can tell you.
On the negative side is "Carmen ...heather....etc etc from card services..this is your final notice " . No one knows my cell number. But scam artists Love it!!!!! Nothing's easy. I tell ya, you can't get any respect.

Dan

PetersCreek
2015-Mar-11, 07:16 PM
We kept the same number when we converted our POTS land line to VOIP and since both had to be plugged in, I didn't draw a distinction between the two.

Buttercup
2015-Mar-11, 07:59 PM
Yes.

Actually have to, as I sometimes must "be on the line" with company technical support while we're sorting out a glitch or uploading new software; etc. I don't keep a mobile phone (no children, work at home, unfriendly town) and husband's often away throughout the day (can't use his phone during).

Would rather nix it, though (get rid of that extra cost).

KaiYeves
2015-Mar-11, 08:25 PM
My family's home, where I currently am spending Spring Break, does. I do not in my dorm room, as I will only be living there for a year, but the dorm building might have one.

LookingSkyward
2015-Mar-11, 08:29 PM
We keep a land line, specifically because it doesn't take much to overload the cell system in an emergency - our last big power outage was enough to clog the cell system.

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-11, 08:29 PM
We kept the same number when we converted our POTS land line to VOIP and since both had to be plugged in, I didn't draw a distinction between the two.

No, I'd consider VOIP the same as the land line as well. My wife also mentioned the 911 concern. I've no experience using it on the cell phone -- except that the neighbor called them on his when I fell off the roof and they got here right away!

Chuck
2015-Mar-11, 09:36 PM
In November of 2013 my landline stopped working so I requested a service call using a phone at work. The phone company threatened me with an $85.00 charge if they had to work inside my apartment. When I got home my phone was working again. The phone company website said my service call was still pending so I canceled it. Then my landline was out again the next morning. In frustration I canceled my landline and dialup Internet access, and bought a smartphone that replaced both. I now also have a NetZero 3G Internet USB stick. I get 200 MB of data transfer per month which is very little but I do most web browsing on my phone while lying in bed.

PetersCreek
2015-Mar-11, 09:53 PM
My wife also mentioned the 911 concern. I've no experience using it on the cell phone -- except that the neighbor called them on his when I fell off the roof and they got here right away!

Personally, I would give the advantage to the cell phone for 911 calls. If I'm not mistaken, some/many/most 911 systems can locate your phone should you not be able to provide your location.

redshifter
2015-Mar-12, 12:31 AM
Personally, I would give the advantage to the cell phone for 911 calls. If I'm not mistaken, some/many/most 911 systems can locate your phone should you not be able to provide your location.

I thought 911 systems 'know' where you are/where your phone is if you're calling from a land line. If it's true they also 'know' where you are if you're calling from a cell phone, that's good to know. My in-laws have a separate issue where they have had to call 911, but the cell service in their area can be sporadic at times.

Jim
2015-Mar-12, 02:30 AM
911 systems can locate your land line, but not always your cell. (I have a cell phone locator for my cell; I tried it once and it showed me next door. I looked. I wasn't.)

Also, when you call 911 on your cell, it will connect you to the system the cell thinks you're in.

I keep our land line because it lists us in the phone book in case someone needs to find us. Also, it came in very handy during Ike, when we were w/o power for almost a week; I recharged my phone at work, but the BW had to recharge hers in the evening when we ran the generator for a few hours.

Gillianren
2015-Mar-12, 02:52 AM
Our landline runs us about $30 a month. No matter how much we talk. Since we don't call long distance, that's a hard deal to beat, and one of us is almost always home.

Spacedude
2015-Mar-12, 03:58 AM
Our land line is about $20/month with a triple play deal. Hard for this ol' phart to give it up. Our rather old cell phone ($33/month) is used mainly for car travel. The land line has better acoustics than the cell for our location and with 3 cordless phones in the home it's good enough for us. No battery charging bothers either. I really have no desire to have a cell on me at all times, not into being that "connected".

Noclevername
2015-Mar-12, 06:00 AM
Haven't had a landline for about 8 years now.

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-12, 02:54 PM
Our landline runs us about $30 a month. No matter how much we talk. Since we don't call long distance, that's a hard deal to beat, and one of us is almost always home.

Yeah, it's not expensive. What I really need to get rid of is the long distance carrier, which charges us whether we make calls or not.

Gillianren
2015-Mar-12, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it's not expensive. What I really need to get rid of is the long distance carrier, which charges us whether we make calls or not.

We don't have one. Actually, we do have a cell phone, because I qualify for the program to get a free one and 200 minutes a month. We don't even use it that often, but it does mean I can call Port Townsend every November, which counts as local long distance and therefore we can't do on our phone without a long distance provider.

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-12, 04:28 PM
Also, when you call 911 on your cell, it will connect you to the system the cell thinks you're in.
Usually the system where the tower you connected to is located.

NEOWatcher
2015-Mar-12, 04:32 PM
The land line has better acoustics than the cell for our location and with 3 cordless phones in the home it's good enough for us. No battery charging bothers either.
That multiple extensions is part of what does it for me. When I'm at home, I don't want to be bothered by knowing if I'm close enough to hear the phone or worry about having it close to me.

primummobile
2015-Mar-12, 05:08 PM
911 systems can locate your land line, but not always your cell. (I have a cell phone locator for my cell; I tried it once and it showed me next door. I looked. I wasn't.)

I keep our land line because it lists us in the phone book in case someone needs to find us. Also, it came in very handy during Ike, when we were w/o power for almost a week; I recharged my phone at work, but the BW had to recharge hers in the evening when we ran the generator for a few hours.

This is a little bit of a problem for me. I live in northern Butler County in Pennsylvania. The road I live on is called County Line Road, and the road actually marks the border between Butler County and Venango County, at least for the stretch I live on. The few times we've had to call 911, we were connected to Venango County even though we live about 200 yards south of the line.

Trebuchet
2015-Mar-12, 05:49 PM
Usually the system where the tower you connected to is located.

That's a problem at our alternate location, near Port Townsend, WA. Google Now uses the phone location and commonly thinks we are in Sequim, 30 miles away but line-of-sight. Last week it thought we were on San Juan Island. If we didn't have roaming turned off, we'd be in Victoria, BC.

publiusr
2015-Mar-14, 07:38 PM
I have a land line. Never bought a cell phone.