PDA

View Full Version : What happened to TV

starcanuck64
2015-Mar-13, 09:32 PM
I do fine without TV, Netflix has great series, documentaries and movies and there's some great news sites online if you know where to look. But I've had TV for the past month or so and struggle to find much of anything good to watch.

For instance what happened to History Channel, I don't really consider aliens among us and somebodies theories about a race of ancient giants history. The Discovery Channel seems to be mostly about people living in the bush somewhere or other, what happened to all the shows on science and technology and even the Food Channel is show after show about cooking competitions that get pretty boring after a few episodes. And I've stopped caring about what people are pawning or leaving in storage units.

Where did all the good shows go. BBT is still on, but I'm not finding much of any real value. Oh, and Mike Holmes on HGTV is still worth watching, but not much else.

Spacedude
2015-Mar-13, 09:51 PM
The "Universe" type shows are on a break. Not sure if Cosmos is returning soon. But hey, Survivor is back on Wed nites ;o)

Buttercup
2015-Mar-13, 10:04 PM
I watch true crime/forensics and cooking shows.

And no, I'm not a cannibal.

PetersCreek
2015-Mar-13, 10:15 PM
TiVo helps me watch what I feel is worth watching...but I'm running out of woodworking shows that aren't ones that I've seen a time or two.

Hypmotoad
2015-Mar-13, 10:18 PM
Out of curiosity, are you cable or satellite? I use cable from Charter and there are actually some very good series' out and if not aware of them you could go to On Demand and surf around. Get on PC if need to see network schedules, then find them on On Demand, is free.

And it now occurs to me that I know way more about TV than I ever meant to.

redshifter
2015-Mar-13, 10:21 PM
I do fine without TV, Netflix has great series, documentaries and movies and there's some great news sites online if you know where to look. But I've had TV for the past month or so and struggle to find much of anything good to watch.

For instance what happened to History Channel, I don't really consider aliens among us and somebodies theories about a race of ancient giants history. The Discovery Channel seems to be mostly about people living in the bush somewhere or other, what happened to all the shows on science and technology and even the Food Channel is show after show about cooking competitions that get pretty boring after a few episodes. And I've stopped caring about what people are pawning or leaving in storage units.

Where did all the good shows go. BBT is still on, but I'm not finding much of any real value. Oh, and Mike Holmes on HGTV is still worth watching, but not much else.

Sadly, I think these channels have sunk to low budget reality shows to enhance their bottom line. Though I too have a hard time understanding what is 'historic' about people living in swamps, etc. Perhaps one could argue that 'well, our ancestors lived in the bush, swamp, tundra, etc'. To that I'd say "Sure, so when is the reality show starting about people who live in the swamp exactly as they did 5000 years ago?" Another reply might be: '5000 years ago people were smart enough to not live in a swamp so why start now?'

LoneTree1941
2015-Mar-13, 10:54 PM
There's good viewing on C-Span

starcanuck64
2015-Mar-13, 11:07 PM
Out of curiosity, are you cable or satellite? I use cable from Charter and there are actually some very good series' out and if not aware of them you could go to On Demand and surf around. Get on PC if need to see network schedules, then find them on On Demand, is free.

And it now occurs to me that I know way more about TV than I ever meant to.

It's the local cable. Maybe I've been spoiled by Netflix where I can watch episode after episode of series I like. I'm hoping they add another season of The Good Wife soon.

Hypmotoad
2015-Mar-13, 11:51 PM
It's the local cable. Maybe I've been spoiled by Netflix where I can watch episode after episode of series I like. I'm hoping they add another season of The Good Wife soon.

See if you have anything tagged as 'On Demand'. If so and is like the set up Charter offers, you might find some good things you might not have been able to see before and watch the entire seasons' worth at your leisure. Sometimes you can find some real gems.

Maybe satellite has the same sort of thing but I'm unfamiliar.

Noclevername
2015-Mar-14, 12:50 AM
Basic cable is fading away, it's losing too many customers to personalized packages and online viewing. The competition is driving all the good stuff into greener pastures.

danscope
2015-Mar-14, 12:59 AM
Roku . Pick and choose.
Swamp people????? " Listen,Son. We live in a swamp. We need all the land we can get. They said I was daft to build here,
but I did it anyway, just t' show 'em."

We like create and Doc martin and Sherlock Holmes, all on PBS .

Solfe
2015-Mar-14, 01:44 AM
Try Smithsonian Channel.

Cougar
2015-Mar-14, 01:44 AM
Sadly, I think these channels have sunk to low budget reality shows to enhance their bottom line....

Yeah, with the competition in today's world, they can't really afford to pump out too many well-written, scripted, well-acted shows.

About the only series I'll watch, and not routinely, is NCIS, but only the one with Abby in it. :D Otherwise, cable only seems to be good for ice hockey. Well, maybe some golf. Oh, I guess there's a good Nova now and then....

SkepticJ
2015-Mar-14, 03:45 AM

Why do you bother with trying (and wasting money on it) if you have better options available to you? It seems a lot like walking around in the bodice ripper section of the bookstore and fretting that you can't find anything good to read.

starcanuck64
2015-Mar-14, 05:05 AM
Why do you bother with trying (and wasting money on it) if you have better options available to you? It seems a lot like walking around in the bodice ripper section of the bookstore and fretting that you can't find anything good to read.

I'm not paying for it, I was just wondered what had happened to the quality and variety of programs available. I knew it had been going downhill, I was just surprised at how far.

Noclevername
2015-Mar-14, 05:10 AM
I'm not paying for it, I was just wondered what had happened to the quality and variety of programs available. I knew it had been going downhill, I was just surprised at how far.

There's too many alternative options brain-draining TV's talent and creativity into other channels (pun).

DonM435
2015-Mar-14, 02:57 PM
I remember going to the movie theaters in the 1960s and seeing adverts and petitions to Stop Pay TV! The advert (sponsored, no doubt, by the TV networks and stations) charged that once Pay TV (e.g., cable systems) were established, they'd be charging you for the stuff that you already get for free! How dare they?

It sounded like hysteria to me.

Anyway, first time I had access to cable TV was circa 1978, and it did offer some variety. However, right there was Ted Turner's Atlanta channel made up of nothing but reruns. Yes, early on it was "classic" Andy Griffith and Star Trek , but before too long it was everything that anybody had ever managed to put on the air, brought back for an encore. The number of channels doing this kept multiplying.

Gillianren
2015-Mar-14, 04:47 PM
The thing is, if people didn't watch it, the channels wouldn't air it. If garbage about ancient aliens and people living in swamps makes more money than stuff about actual history, well, there's your answer.

SkepticJ
2015-Mar-14, 07:30 PM

Have you seen the movie Network?

Basically, yesteryear's wild satire happened for real, then was left in the dust. For the same reasons: ratings/money. This should make your blood run cold.

Let's hope that The Running Man and Robocop stay fiction.

Barabino
2015-Mar-14, 08:44 PM
The thing is, if people didn't watch it, the channels wouldn't air it. If garbage about ancient aliens and people living in swamps makes more money than stuff about actual history, well, there's your answer.

Sad to say, public service tv is quite better at history than History Channel.

Delvo
2015-Mar-15, 02:50 AM
If garbage about ancient aliens and people living in swamps makes more money than stuff about actual history, well, there's your answer.It doesn't really work like that for cable channels. Cable companies put a bunch of unrelated channels together in a bundle of channels, collect payments from customers for the whole bundle, and pass on subscription-based fees to every channel in the bundle. The bundle can have just a few channels in it that people actually buy the bundle for and watch heavily, and the extra channels can survive as parasites with ratings that would never justify their existence separately. Untie the bundles, and supply & demand will become more applicable.

Gillianren
2015-Mar-15, 04:51 AM
Have you seen the level of merchandising for some of this garbage?