PDA

View Full Version : Observing the UK Partial Eclipse on 20 March 2015

Sticks
2015-Mar-16, 10:49 AM
On Friday 20 March 2015 (Weather permitting) between 08:45 and 09:31 there will be a partial solar eclipse visible from northern parts of the UK.

I have been trying to work out how to view it safely, as I can not seem to find those special glasses the sell to look at the sun. I then remembered an old pin hole camera (sort of) I made a few years back, to teach about the principle of cameras and the eye, but on getting it out, it fell apart, so I made a new one.

I took a toilet roll holder, and at one end I used elastic bands to hold in place a piece of baking paper at one end and at the other end a piece of cooking foil. I put a pin hole in the foil. (See picture if that works here)

If I point the pin hole at one of my low energy light bulbs, I can make out it's image on the screen. I have to hold it with both hands to block out the glare of the bulb itself.

Is this a good method of observing the eclipse, or should I try something else.

Swift
2015-Mar-16, 02:33 PM
I think your pinhole would work, but I can't say for sure.

We had a partial around here last fall and I was able to pick up some glasses on-line for pretty cheap. They worked fine and even worked over my camera lense for snapping some photos. Not sure if you could get them that fast though, but you might take a look.