PDA

View Full Version : United Arab Emirates space ambitions

selvaarchi
2015-Mar-28, 12:40 PM
Here is a country on the fast track to become space faring country. They are using their financial strength to buy the technology they need for their future space plans. A critical component of that is the rockets and launch systems they need to get to space. For that they are looking at purchasing the international spacecraft launch platform "Sea Launch".

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UAE_Moves_to_Purchase_Russian_Spacecraft_Launch_Pl atform_999.html

The United Arab Emirates is interested in the acquisition of the international spacecraft launch platform "Sea Launch". It is a sea-based launch system that allows launches of commercial freights on specialized Zenit-3SL rockets.

The UAE expressed its interest in this project. Several meetings were held between the UAE and Russia. But at the moment the intensity of negotiations regarding the project has decreased possibly due to the fall in international oil prices.

publiusr
2015-Mar-28, 07:52 PM
With that nautical investment, perhaps they can look at Sea Dragon.

Ivan Bilic
2015-Apr-12, 07:04 AM
It would be cool if they build cosmodrome next to Dubai rather than launching from sea platforms. In that case Dubai would be real sci-fi city....:)

Glom
2015-Apr-12, 07:56 AM
I don't know. This region has been notoriously unreliable with weather lately. Dust storms closed DXB twice in a couple of weeks.

publiusr
2015-Apr-18, 06:31 PM
The Saudi's want to go one better than Dubai with a 67 Billion dollar city
http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/04/saudi-arabia-trying-to-replicate-dubai.html

Imagine if that money were poured into a Sea Dragon program instead of cement

selvaarchi
2015-May-09, 03:28 PM
United Arab Emirates (UAE) plan to have a orbiter around Mars to study dynamic changes in the atmosphere of Mars over days and seasons. Helping them with this mission will be University of Colorado Boulder as the leading U.S. scientific-academic partner. The CU-Boulder part of the mission will be undertaken at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP). And if you wonder what expertise LASP bring to the table :rimshot: LASP currently is leading NASA’s Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/05/09/uc-boulder-partner-uae-mars-mission/#more-55289

Known as the Emirates Mars Mission, the project is being designed to observe weather phenomena like Martian clouds and dust storms as well as changes in temperature, water vapor and other gases throughout the layers of the atmosphere. The CU-Boulder part of the mission will be undertaken at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP).

The mission will be headquartered at and controlled from the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre in Dubai, which is affiliated with the Emirates Institution for Advanced Science and Technology. According to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, vice president and prime minister of Dubai, the new Mars probe will be named Hope.

The UAE’s U.S. scientific-academic partners also include the University of California, Berkeley, and Arizona State University.

selvaarchi
2015-May-26, 01:01 PM
UAE Space Agency Unveils Strategy and signs Education Agreement With Orbital ATK.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/05/26/55426/

“The establishment of a fully-fledged space sector in the UAE, with all necessary human resources, infrastructure and scientific research, is a primary national objective. It requires everyone involved to work as one team to establish the UAE’s leadership in this sector and to build advanced scientific capabilities in the space domain,” Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid said.

“The Hope Probe and the UAE Space Agency are milestones for the development of the UAE. Today, we are at the dawn of a new era that holds the promise of ambitious advancements; an era in which we build our national capacity and establish a new international standing for the UAE in the space sector. Building a new space sector that is integrated and comprehensive is a value-added step for our national economy, technical knowledge, human capital, and international reputation”, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid said.

NEOWatcher
2015-May-26, 02:46 PM
That article is difficult to see what exactly this agreement is. It reads like so many corporate mission statements that sound good but don't mean much.

It sounds like they are trying to formalize a means of creating a true space agency to coordinate aspects from education up to a full agency similar to NASA or others. This, as opposed to just government projects.

kato
2015-May-26, 08:18 PM
That article is difficult to see what exactly this agreement is.
The agreement is about a three-party industry-educational cooperation for a new space technology graduate studies programme at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. Orbital ATK will be involved in developing the curriculum and will provide testing facilities for the cubesats and such developed as part of the programme. Orbital ATK has a number of similar agreements, mostly with schools in the USA.

See http://www.wam.ae/en/news/emirates/1395281027828.html for details for the UAE (very detailed for a press release).

selvaarchi
2015-May-26, 09:27 PM
That article is difficult to see what exactly this agreement is. It reads like so many corporate mission statements that sound good but don't mean much.

It sounds like they are trying to formalize a means of creating a true space agency to coordinate aspects from education up to a full agency similar to NASA or others. This, as opposed to just government projects.

Will not surprise me if it is modeled on how NASA is set up. Most of their advisers are from there.

NEOWatcher
2015-May-26, 10:11 PM
Will not surprise me if it is modeled on how NASA is set up. Most of their advisers are from there.
Nor me.
But that wasn't what I was aiming to say. Just that they sound like they are creating a "formal" agency.

selvaarchi
2015-May-26, 10:15 PM
Nor me.
But that wasn't what I was aiming to say. Just that they sound like they are creating a "formal" agency.

Yes they are. They have identified "space" as one of the areas they want to specialize in, in preparation to the time when their oil runs out.

NEOWatcher
2015-May-26, 10:42 PM
Yes they are. They have identified "space" as one of the areas they want to specialize in, in preparation to the time when their oil runs out.
Did you read "not" or "nor"? I was in agreement.

selvaarchi
2015-May-27, 12:45 AM
Did you read "not" or "nor"? I was in agreement.

I was reading nor. I was just elaborating on their need for "creating a "formal" agency".

selvaarchi
2015-May-27, 05:46 AM
An Overview of UAE Space Agency

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/05/26/overview-uae-space-agency/

The following is an official backgrounder on the UAE Space Agency issued by the UAE government. It includes information about the agency’s strategic objecvtives, its leadership, and the structure and components of the nation’s space industry.

selvaarchi
2015-Jun-17, 02:13 PM
UAE has approached India to launch their probe to Mars.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/UAE-Seeks-Indian-Expertise-for-Its-Mars-Exploration/2015/06/16/article2868974.ece

The United Arab Emirates has approached the Indian Space Research Organisation to launch its Mars mission in 2020, the government said on Monday. The discussion in this regard is on.

publiusr
2015-Jun-19, 10:35 PM
Oh to pump all that oil money to space.

NEOWatcher
2015-Jun-19, 10:48 PM
UAE has approached India to launch their probe to Mars.
It makes me wonder if their idea of buying Sea launch fell through.

Sea launch hasn't had much activity in the last 6 months, and they were trying to replace the Zenit rocket. They might be a dead end for now.

selvaarchi
2015-Jun-20, 05:57 AM
It makes me wonder if their idea of buying Sea launch fell through.

Sea launch hasn't had much activity in the last 6 months, and they were trying to replace the Zenit rocket. They might be a dead end for now.
The last time I read anything on Sea Launch, they were trying to flog their system to China for US 2 billion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

selvaarchi
2016-Mar-23, 11:20 AM
UAE has decided to go with Japan to launch their Mars probe in 2020.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/MHI_Receives_New_Order_for_H_IIA_Launch_Services_f or_UAE_Emirates_Mars_Mission_999.html

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. has received an order for H-IIA launch services from the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC), in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), for launch of the Emirates Mars Mission's (EMM) Hope spacecraft. In order to better understand the Martian atmosphere and climate, Hope is expected to be launched in the summer of 2020 on MHI's H-IIA launch vehicle, and is set to arrive at Mars in 2021 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the founding of the UAE. This order for the EMM marks MHI's fourth overseas contract for its launch services.