PDA

View Full Version : Snow Pyramids!

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-17, 11:01 PM
Ok, so yesterday it was snowing really really hard at Case Western because of all the lake effect from lake Erie. After being holed up all day my friends and I decided to go outside and play in the snow. My one friend had a snowball maker that made perfectly formed spherical snowballs which excited me to no end. Muahahaha... 8)
Anyway, after we fought to the death and didn't feel like continuing in that direction we kept making spherical snowballs because they're pretty cool little devils. Then we started stacking them and one thing led to another and we started making snow pyramids- one base centered cubic, one hexagonal cubic, and one triangular cubic (is that even a type? hmmm). If you think we're nerds yes, we are, but it was really fun! Our efforts are cataloged here (http://www.sendpix.com/albums/05011619/22qrkmcbtn/). If I do say so myself they do look pretty awesome! More like did because people saw them and thought "hey free snowballs!" so they were gone once we left them. But rest assured they were fun to build. :)

Swift
2005-Jan-17, 11:09 PM
Obviously as good CWRU researchers you were synthesizing photonic crystals (reference) (http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~wpark/nanoscale_photonic_device_resear.htm), such as opal
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~wpark/opal.jpg
using available crystalline materials. Very nice work.

Colt
2005-Jan-18, 12:43 AM
That's pretty awesome, Andromeda. :D I want one of these machines. - Colt

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-18, 12:52 AM
What the heck is that second picture?

rleyland
2005-Jan-18, 01:18 AM
Hey, that looks like way too mucg fun!

nice jorb

beskeptical
2005-Jan-18, 01:34 AM
That's cool. What fun, thanks for sharing it with us. :D :D :D

But umm, about the robot guy....? :P

frogesque
2005-Jan-18, 02:16 AM

Electron microphotograph taken at 10kV going by the ledgend. Microspheres of hydrated silica in an orderly formation cause the patches of opalescence in the stones. It's what makes opal unique as a gemstone.

Nice pic :)

beskeptical
2005-Jan-18, 02:26 AM

Electron microphotograph taken at 10kV going by the ledgend. Microspheres of hydrated silica in an orderly formation cause the patches of opalescence in the stones. It's what makes opal unique as a gemstone.

Nice pic :)Are you on something? Or are we looking at two different pictures.....

Yes, we are looking at different pictures. I think Trebuchet and I are looking at the second picture in the snowball line up. You are looking at the second post. :P

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-18, 02:34 AM

Hehe, sorry, it's my friend's site so she just put up pics that she thought we'd be interested in seeing. The action figure in the second picture is my friend's roomie's little action figure guy. While the roomie was demonstrating to us the lightsaber she's building (nope not making that one up, it has an LED flashlight for the base) we noticed that the shadow was pretty awesome and picture-worthy. Turned out rather well I thought. :)

frogesque
2005-Jan-18, 04:22 AM
My apologies, Andromeda your second pic thumbnail is so dark on my pc I didn't click on it so it didn't register in the old Frog brain. What exactly is a snowball machine though? I've only ever used my hands to make snowballs and I have a mental picture of a thing like a tenis ball launcher which would be a bit unfair in close combat :lol:

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-18, 11:51 AM
Those are cool snowball pyraminds. I'd love to make some but it hasn't even snowed here :(

What exactly is a snowball machine though? I've only ever used my hands to make snowballs and I have a mental picture of a thing like a tenis ball launcher which would be a bit unfair in close combat :D

I think it just compacts the snow together.

But I would make a snowball launcher. I have an idea, how about a snow trebuchet? You could burry a person or a car 8)

Paul Mitchell
2005-Jan-18, 01:08 PM
one base centered cubic, one hexagonal cubic, and one triangular cubic (is that even a type? hmmm).
I think the triangular pyramid is a sub-set of the hexagonal one, both with HCP (hexagonal close packed) arrangement.

Ari Jokimaki
2005-Jan-18, 01:15 PM
But rest assured they were fun to build. :)

Maybe you'll do this (http://www.snowcastle.net/photos/) next?

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-18, 08:04 PM
....But I would make a snowball launcher. I have an idea, how about a snow trebuchet? You could burry a person or a car 8)

I've got one that could hurl an average snowball a couple hundred feet!

Or with the big one, we could throw 8-10 lb snowballs that far!

Of course all our snow just melted and its 50 degrees F again.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-18, 09:01 PM
....But I would make a snowball launcher. I have an idea, how about a snow trebuchet? You could burry a person or a car 8)

I've got one that could hurl an average snowball a couple hundred feet!

Or with the big one, we could throw 8-10 lb snowballs that far!

Of course all our snow just melted and its 50 degrees F again.

10 lbs of snow grapeshot, if it didn't kill the person it would win the snowball fight fast. :D

I can't wait till i move to canada with -15C winters. When i get land i'm building a trebuchet, guess i'll have a use for it in winter :wink:

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-20, 12:07 AM
10 lbs of snow grapeshot, if it didn't kill the person it would win the snowball fight fast. :D

Of course the rate of fire is rather slow, probably 15 minutes between shots. You'd need some good infantry support to protect the artillery while reloading.

On the whole, I think I'll stick to pumpkins.

frogesque
2005-Jan-20, 01:23 AM

Of course the rate of fire is rather slow, probably 15 minutes between shots. You'd need some good infantry support to protect the artillery while reloading.

Well, if there's no snow you could always try cars, pianos or cows (http://www.interweavers.com/brett/humor/trebuchet.html) :lol:

I've also seen a pic of this 'engine' in operation throwing a 40gallon petrol bomb (don't try that at home kids) as well but I think the site's down at the moment.

Edit: Yep, site is down, pity, it was quite spectacular 8)

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-20, 01:27 AM
What exactly is a snowball machine though?
It was basically this cheap blue plastic thing my friend got as a stocking stuffer. It had two handles with two empty halves attached to each other so when you brought the two halves together you got a snowball. Pretty quick to make but you had to be careful to avoid getting two hemispheres instead by accident.

frogesque
2005-Jan-20, 01:30 AM
Thanks for that Andomeda, I was imagining all sorts of things :lol:

Swift
2005-Jan-20, 01:59 PM
What exactly is a snowball machine though?
It was basically this cheap blue plastic thing my friend got as a stocking stuffer. It had two handles with two empty halves attached to each other so when you brought the two halves together you got a snowball. Pretty quick to make but you had to be careful to avoid getting two hemispheres instead by accident.
I wonder how well an ice cream scoop would work :-k ? May have to try some research!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-20, 03:16 PM

Well, if there's no snow you could always try cars, pianos or cows (http://www.interweavers.com/brett/humor/trebuchet.html) :lol:

I've also seen a pic of this 'engine' in operation throwing a 40gallon petrol bomb (don't try that at home kids) as well but I think the site's down at the moment.

Edit: Yep, site is down, pity, it was quite spectacular 8)

My favourite quote from your link:

``If you see the missile coming toward you, simply step aside,'' Mr. Kennedy shouts to the onlookers.

I remember hearing a rumour of a roman campaign. They had two Trebuchets built close to each other to bring down a wall but their projectiles weren't heavy enough. They attached the two slings together and used the space in between them as the slip board to fire a behemoth of a round at the wall taking it down.

I read it once but could never find it again. I suspect it was probably just a boast if anything. It would effectively make them both stronger but could also rip them apart due to side ways strain. :roll:

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-21, 12:12 AM
Last I heard, Hew Kennedy's treb is out of commision -- the frame was utility poles set in the ground and they've rotted. I remember the cow-tossing pictures quite fondly but haven't actually seen them around the web in a while.

The largest currently operating treb is probably Yankee Siege which holds the world record for hurling pumpkins (by gravity power) at something like 1395 feet.

lti
2005-Jan-21, 12:24 AM
i wish it snowed down here. *sigh*

beskeptical
2005-Jan-21, 05:14 PM
i wish it snowed down here. *sigh*You have mountains. Can't you go there?