PDA

View Full Version : Trespassing on Einstein's Lawn

Cougar
2015-Apr-04, 02:16 PM
Trespassing on Einstein's Lawn is the title of a book by Amanda Gefter that I just started reading. I love this book!

Over the last few decades I've read over 150 'pop-sci' books on astronomy, physics, cosmology, astrophysics, by all the major players in the fields - Brian Greene, Neil Tyson, Sean Carroll, Alan Guth, Alan Dressler, Paul Davies, Feynman, Weinberg, Vilenkin, Lederman, Gell-Mann, Schwinger, Rocky Kolb, Ferreira, Yau, Tegmark, Laughlin, Gleiser, etc. and et al.

Gefter's book is different than any of these. It tells the story of a bored high school girl (Gefter herself) who, with her father, becomes obsessed with cosmology and physics. They research. They're looking for answers. A little later, she sneaks into Wheeler's 90th birthday conference (with her father) on the pretext of covering the event for Manhattan magazine, where she was working part time. She doesn't tell the organizers that it's actually Manhattan Bride magazine, and the two interlopers just want to attend the conference and maybe ask Wheeler a couple questions. The book is simply charming, sweet, very funny, and meanwhile relates what she and her dad find out about what the scientists are discovering in these fields. So she's not a research scientist, but a studied science writer. And a good writer. The only other book that comes close to such an imaginitive approach to telling the story of current cosmology and physics is Janna Levin's How the Universe Got Its Spots. But Gefter is laugh-out-loud funny, and touching. I can't wait to keep reading....

Swift
2015-Apr-04, 03:56 PM
Thanks Cougar. I've added that one to my wish list. Having gone to a John Wheeler talk for the sake of seeing him, I can appreciate her story.

Noclevername
2015-Apr-04, 09:22 PM
Over the last few decades I've read over 150 'pop-sci' books on astronomy, physics, cosmology, astrophysics, by all the major players in the fields - Brian Greene, Neil Tyson, Sean Carroll, Alan Guth, Alan Dressler, Paul Davies, Feynman, Weinberg, Vilenkin, Lederman, Gell-Mann, Schwinger, Rocky Kolb, Ferreira, Yau, Tegmark, Laughlin, Gleiser, etc. and et al.

I prefer the theories of Venkmann, Stanz, and Spengler myself. :)

Cougar
2015-Apr-05, 12:02 AM
I prefer the theories of Venkmann, Stanz, and Spengler myself. :)

I imagine that theory has to do with the ghostly green voorweeps? ;)