PDA

View Full Version : A Man's Tool!

Candy
2005-Jan-18, 09:01 AM
Man Finds Nail in Skull Six Days Later (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=050118&cat=strange&st=stranged87lgcl 80&src=ap)

A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.
Since it is mostly men here on the BABB, how does this happen? :o

frogesque
2005-Jan-18, 09:31 AM
Hands and feet getting nailed with a nailgun is fairly common. Most nail guns are designed to put a nail into steel girders or concrete, but that's the first time I've heard of one embedding in someones head. He's a lucky guy to survive that.

Linky (http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2298&nVolId=89)

2005-Jan-18, 09:32 AM
He probably looked at the small bloody spot with a mirror, felt around, but didn't find a nail protruding, the pain wasn't extreme, and figured, or hoped, he got lucky.

===

And if you think that nailgun picture is bad, I wish I could find the one I saw in a news story in May. I only have this description from when I mailed the news item to a friend:

In SoCal, a house-builder
was released from the hospital, after falling a story -- onto a coworker
with a nailgun. The profile X-ray showed a couple of nails in the base
of his skull, two into his neck, near his spinal cord, and two shot into
his skull from the left side. They didn't expect him to live.

They are investigating his coworker for defeating a safety mechanism on
the nailgun to make it rapid-fire.
BRRRRT!

Candy
2005-Jan-18, 09:39 AM
Linky (http://www.imj.ie/news_detail.php?nNewsId=2298&nVolId=89) Let me guess, all men? :lol:

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-18, 10:01 AM
Now how many men looked at this thread because they thought it was going to be saucy?

kucharek
2005-Jan-18, 10:03 AM
Now how many men looked at this thread because they thought it was going to be saucy?
:oops:

frogesque
2005-Jan-18, 10:14 AM
01101001 wrote:

BRRRRT!

Yep, those things will go like a machine gun if safety locks are overidden.

Was this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3685791.stm) the case you were referring to?

Candy wrote:

Let me guess, all men?

Don't need to guess, all four cases refer to 'he'. :lol:

Bystanders can also be injured, double nailing makes the second nail bounce off which can fly out in any direction if not guarded, also nails can penetrate thin board and travel through a section to hit someone on the other side. Nail guns are not sexist, they don't care who they injure.

AstroSmurf
2005-Jan-18, 10:35 AM
I recall a story by Lois McMaster Bujold where someone attempts a murder on a space station where guns are prohibited, using a hot-rivet gun...

Candy
2005-Jan-18, 10:39 AM
I recall a story by Lois McMaster Bujold where someone attempts a murder on a space station where guns are prohibited, using a hot-rivet gun...

Let me guess, the Space Station was occupied with all men? :lol:

Amadeus
2005-Jan-18, 10:40 AM

Guilty here too....

Well I saw the poster I assumed it was! :D

Candy
2005-Jan-18, 10:41 AM

Guilty here too....

Well I saw the poster I assumed it was! :D
I did it on purpose. :D

Kebsis
2005-Jan-18, 12:14 PM
"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,'" she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

I would think the luckiest guy ever never got a nail stuck in his brain.

To answer the original question, nail guns shoot nails out really fast. Fast enough to go through concrete some of them, plus the nails are usually very slender and have no head. Meaning that, especially on very cold days, it is possible to get shot by one, have the nail go directly into you, and think you were only scrapped. The wound just looks like a tiny puncture, add blood and it could be fairly easily mistaken for a scratch. The whole thing happens so fast that you don't really have time to register what happened.

AstroSmurf
2005-Jan-18, 12:25 PM
Let me guess, the Space Station was occupied with all men? :lol:
Mostly quaddies, actually. Who are 'men' in the biologic sense only loosely. And the one wielding the rivet gun was an intrinsically genderless human constructed with genetic manipulation. So there! :lol:

gethen
2005-Jan-18, 02:06 PM
Saw the guy on t.v. this morning, holding the offending nail. It did appear to have a head. And he mentioned some bruising on his face, as if he had been punched.

kucharek
2005-Jan-18, 02:14 PM
Article with x-ray image:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Its-a-pretty-rare-injury/2005/01/17/1105810801237.html

The nail had a head. Maybe that saved his life, otherwise it may have penetrated deeper.

Harald

Krevel
2005-Jan-18, 02:43 PM
There are various types of nailgun. A framing nailer uses nails with a head, quite similar to what one would recognize as a 'common' nail. A finish or brad nailer uses small nails with only a very small head. Both of these types generally are loaded in strips, with the nails stacked one on top of the other. A roofing nailer uses short, thick nails with a large head; these are usually loaded in coils held together with wire.

Most nailguns use compressed air, requiring a compressor and air hose. Pressures range from 65 to 95 psi, with higher pressures used for larger nails and by those with excessive testosterone. Some nailguns are powered by small propane cartridges, which eliminate the need for a compressor; they are slower to cycle, however.

All nailguns have a plunger tip which needs to be held tight to the object to be nailed before the trigger may be depressed and the gun fired. Sometimes, though, the plunger is altered to stay in the depressed, or 'fire', postion. Roofers are the most common offenders in this case.

At close range (arm's length) they can be quite deadly. At longer ranges, though, nails will quickly lose speed and will start to tumble, making them a rather inefficient weapon - despite what Hollywood might have you believe.

Hope that clears some things up.

2005-Jan-18, 06:29 PM
That's so funny, Candy, I'll link it to net-weather!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

2005-Jan-18, 07:54 PM
Was this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3685791.stm) the case you were referring to?
Exactly. Though the stories' accident details (his gun versus a coworker's gun) are a wee different, that sure is the X-ray I remember! Ouch.

tmosher
2005-Jan-19, 01:23 AM

Well...considering who the originator of the thread is...yes.