PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter film locations

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 11:02 AM
the Prisoner of Wossname last night I realised that I have been to one of the locations in the film.

Near the start when he is in the 'hotel' room, the view out of the window shows a Victorian fruit and veg market and a railway passing within inches of the window on a raised viaduct.

That is a real place, It's Borough Market. just by London Bridge.

I used to pass it on the train every day to and from work. The window he is looking out of is real, it's a Pub that backs onto the railway, it is genuinely that close to the tracks. That area is used quite a lot in period TV and Film drama as the streets around are still very Victorian in character, It's been in Sherlock Holmes, Poirot and various Dickens dramatisations.

If I remember right the pub is called the Market Porter, but there are a couple of them along with a row of shops and warehouses backing onto the tracks.

I can think of 4 good pubs in the streets around, at least 2 of them still have gaslight.

Arounf the corner is Borough High Street, it runs frokm London Bridge down towards the Elephant and Castle. Through an archway off it is the last galleried coaching Inn left in London, it belongs to the national Trust.

I have also been to Alnwick Castle, the location of Hogwarts in the first film. It's major attractions for the tourist are the gardens and water cascade. It also has the worlds largest Treehouse opened over Xmas.

Just over the hill from where I live is Goathland, the station there was used as Hogsmead in the first film, all they did was change the sign.

SciFi Chick
2005-Jan-18, 01:04 PM
Wow. That is really cool. It makes me want to come and visit your country even more than I did before.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-18, 02:07 PM
Hogworts school was filmed at Alnwick castle, and they milk the fact for the tourists! :D

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 02:09 PM
Hello, SciFi Chick, haven't seen your name around much lately.

I must confass, I am now an HP fan. We got the first two on DVD from the local supermarket, they were doing a 2 for 1 deal. I got the Prisoner for Xmas and I have just finished reading the books.

I can't wait to see how they handle the film version of 'Goblet' which I thought was by far the best book, and thought she could have let Harry make up with Cho at the end of Phoenix :(

Sp edit

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't say they 'milk' it. Alnwicks main attraction is the garden. When we looked around the castle the only HP refs I saw were a few items in the shop.

It was good to stand in the spot where they had their first flying lesson and walk across the courtyard and through the gates. Unfortunately Hagrids 'Hut' isn't outside the gates, that was just a prop.

Up on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway they do have 'Harry Potter' themed days in the summer.

jumbo
2005-Jan-18, 02:34 PM
Some of Hogwarts was IIRC filmed at Gloucester Cathedral. I grew up near there and my parent still live in the area. I remember them telling me how various groups were protesting using the Cathedral to film Harry Potter.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-18, 02:44 PM
Hogworts school was filmed at Alnwick castle, and they milk the fact for the tourists! :D

Do you think this cosy little treehouse (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/12/nhouse12.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/01/12/ixnewstop.html) will feature in future movies? ;)

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 02:47 PM
Some of Hogwarts was IIRC filmed at Gloucester Cathedral. I grew up near there and my parent still live in the area. I remember them telling me how various groups were protesting using the Cathedral to film Harry Potter.

They filmed interiors there and used the Cloisters as well.

At Alnwick they used the central courtyard in the Shell keep and the Bailey grounds, also the Postern gate and the lawn outside.

It's clever how they used CGI to mask out the town when they did the learning to fly sequence, it comes right up to the walls on one side of the castle, the other is grass down to the river.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 02:56 PM

Do you think this cosy little treehouse (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/12/nhouse12.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/01/12/ixnewstop.html) will feature in future movies? ;)

Maybe but it was only the 1st film they did there. When you have been it's obvious watching it which bits are the real castle and which are added later.

On the companion CD for Prisoner they show which bits are CGI and which are models, for example 'Buckbeak' is a mix of lifesize dummy and computer CGI whereas all the distance and flying shots of Hogwarts are a huge model, they thought it was more convincing than a CGI castle.

SciFi Chick
2005-Jan-18, 05:00 PM
Hello, SciFi Chick, haven't seen your name around much lately.

Holidays coupled with my grandmother's funeral have limited my time online. School starts tomorrow, so I'll probably be around more after that. :)

Excellent. The more, the merrier. I was particularly surprised by how much I enjoyed Gary Oldman in Azkaban. I didn't think he was right for the role at all, until I saw him, and now I think he's just brilliant.

[quote=captain swoop]I can't wait to see how they handle the film version of 'Goblet' which I thought was by far the best book, and thought she could have let Harry make up with Cho at the end of Phoenix :(

Well, if we had been watching Harry's parents when they were Harry and Cho's age, we probably wouldn't have imagined them getting together in the end, so who knows what will happen? This is, assuming, of course, that Harry survives book 7. I'm really looking forward to The Half Blood Prince.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-19, 11:03 AM
I was particularly surprised by how much I enjoyed Gary Oldman in Azkaban. I didn't think he was right for the role at all, until I saw him, and now I think he's just brilliant.

Well, if we had been watching Harry's parents when they were Harry and Cho's age, we probably wouldn't have imagined them getting together in the end, so who knows what will happen? This is, assuming, of course, that Harry survives book 7. I'm really looking forward to The Half Blood Prince.

I liked Lupin David Thewlis is a good choice.

Mark Williams who plays Arthur Weasley is one of my faves anyway, he is best known in the UK for being one of the cast of the 'Fast Show' a TV comedy sketch show.
Richard Griffiths who plays Uncle Vernon has been around for donkeys years, he was in 'Withnail and I' one of my fave comedy films and he has his own detective series called 'Pie in the Sky'.

JKR says she had Robbie Coltrane in mind when she first wrote hagrids character, I wonder if she was thinking of Emma Thompson when she wrote Prof Trelawney?.

As for Harry and Cho, I just hought they would have words before the hols.

I can't see Harry being killed, it would mean Voldemort had won, only one of them can live remember.

Unless it is Neville who is the ykey. I think he has an important part to play yet, he has to get revenge for his parents at least.

And do we realy think Sirius is dead? :wink:

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-20, 03:47 AM
I'm really looking forward to The Half Blood Prince.

Just under 6 months to go until the release. :D :D :D

Gillianren
2005-Jan-20, 04:05 AM
I don't think Sirius is dead. I believe she's gone on record saying she wouldn't kill Harry. (she has definitely said Ron lives.) and I never did like Cho.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-20, 10:19 AM
As in all books of this kind, don't believe he's dead until you see the body. And then give it an extra stab!. Sirius
obviously has more of a role to play in the proceedings, his death was too casual to be real.

Luna did well in the Minestry, I think she would be a good match for Harry.

Essan
2005-Jan-20, 12:07 PM
The scenes in the train are filmed on the West Highland line - around Glen Finnan viaduct and Loch Eilt.

The Quidditch pitch is in Glen Nevis (near Fort William)

And distant shots of Hogwarts show it to be situated on the (uninhabited) west side of Loch Shiel, just south of Glenfinnan.

:)

captain swoop
2005-Jan-20, 01:23 PM
[quote="Essan"]The scenes in the train are filmed on the West Highland line - around Glen Finnan viaduct and Loch Eilt.
quote]

For the first film they shot most of the railway scenes on the NYMR on the section through Newtondale and Fen Bog.

Interestingly one of the regular summer steam specials is hauled by one of the Locomotives based on the NYMR, the K3 Mogul belonging to the NELPG.

SciFi Chick
2005-Jan-20, 01:55 PM
I don't think Sirius is dead. I believe she's gone on record saying she wouldn't kill Harry. (she has definitely said Ron lives.) and I never did like Cho.

She has not gone on record saying Harry will live. I'd love to see where she said Ron lives.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-20, 02:36 PM
I can see Ron and Hermy going off into the sunset. I think Dumbledore will probably sacrifice himself at some point though.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-20, 02:46 PM
I'll admit I'm a late Harry Potter fan. I started reading then at my brothers house last Thanksgiving. Glad my niece likes the books. I kind of 'borrowed' them. The books are quite enjoyable.

I liked the movie POA. Wasn't great though. It seemed to rushed.

Can't wait for the Half Blood Prince.

This would be a great site to see if we could figure out the prophecy mathematically.

I think Longbottom's gonna bite the dust.

And it's so obvious that Ron and Hermione are going to get together.

Hutch
2005-Jan-20, 03:30 PM
I have seen all the movies, but never got into the books (my Brothers' 3 kids make sure I am up to date, however).

As for the Harry Potter connections, I was in King's Cross Station one day when they had a couple of the platforms blocked off to shoot scenes for the first Harry Potter movie, and I have been in the dining hall in Oxford where I was told they shoot the dinner scenes.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-20, 03:35 PM
I don't think neville is going to get it, not until he has made a major contribution, once he gets over his lack of confidence he seems to be a good Wizard. As I posted yesterday I thibk he will get revenge for his parents at least.