PDA

View Full Version : coffee "trip"

mickal555
2005-Jan-18, 03:29 PM
A couple of days ago I needed to stay up all night to watch tinan landing coverage... I was getting tired so I decided to eat[i] a teaspoon of some coffee. Bad idea. It made me all jumpy and made me compulsively scratch and meant I couldn't type and I was talking about the coverage on a paltalk room(bad astronomy chat)(audio talking) and whenever I went to talk all I could do was laugh. an odd experence...

Amadeus
2005-Jan-18, 03:47 PM
Done that myself..

I think the reason why the teaspoon of coffee has more effect than the same about made into coffee is that is gets straight into you blood stream viam the membrains in your mouth.

I'am a big coffee adict and my normal brew is a mug of expresso 7 to 8 times a day. Always buy organic btw. It tastes better. Don't get the shakes anymore but I think thats because I got used to it. Normal coffee just don't do it for me anymore.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-18, 04:02 PM
It's tea for me, loose leaf either 50/50 mix of China and Assam, Ringtons or Taylors Yorkshire blend (for soft acid water). Milk no Sugar.

Ut
2005-Jan-18, 05:29 PM
It's tea for me, loose leaf either 50/50 mix of China and Assam, Ringtons or Taylors Yorkshire blend (for soft acid water). Milk no Sugar.

You can lump me in here, but I stick mostly to orange pekoe, milk, two lumps sugar.

Wally
2005-Jan-18, 05:44 PM
Done that myself..

I think the reason why the teaspoon of coffee has more effect than the same about made into coffee is that is gets straight into you blood stream viam the membrains in your mouth.

probably has more to do with the fact that coffee prepared the right way means straining hot water thru the ground up beans and drinking the resultant liquid. Can't be nearly as potent this way as actually consuming said grounds, regardless of where it enters the bloodstream!

I don't think I'd recommend doing this much. . . Sounds like a good way to OD on caffeine if you over do it!

Lurker
2005-Jan-18, 05:55 PM
When will you people learn!! Just say no to coffee!! [-X

:wink:

Amadeus
2005-Jan-18, 07:33 PM
Done that myself..

probably has more to do with the fact that coffee prepared the right way means straining hot water thru the ground up beans and drinking the resultant liquid. Can't be nearly as potent this way as actually consuming said grounds, regardless of where it enters the bloodstream!

I don't think I'd recommend doing this much. . . Sounds like a good way to OD on caffeine if you over do it!

I assumed it was instant coffee not grounds. Eating grounds is not a good idea anytime.

2005-Jan-18, 07:48 PM
Caffeine Overdose (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002579.htm)

Symptoms

body as a whole
- difficulty sleeping
- muscle twitching
- confusion
- in and out of consciousness
- increased urination
- increased thirst
- death
- fever
respiratory
- difficulty breathing
gastrointestinal
- vomiting
- diarrhea
heart and blood vessels
- irregular heartbeat
- rapid heart beat
nervous system
- hallucinations
- dizziness
- convulsions

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-18, 07:54 PM
I assumed it was instant coffee not grounds. Eating grounds is not a good idea anytime.
Ive been known to grind up some beans (you have to use a mill grinder, bladed grinders damage the taste ;) ) and sprinkle it on ice cream.

Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and brew up some Turkish coffee. Now there's a concoction. Equal amounts of sugar and coffee (which has been ground to a consistency of flour); boil it on the stove in a small brass pot and serve in espresso cups. Yum. Just dont do the Maxwell House thing and drink it to the last drop; the bottom of the cup is pure coffee sludge. However, you are supposed to flip the cup over into the saucer and then have the grounds read to see what your future will hold. Which is usually a prediction of double vision until the jitters subside. :D

2005-Jan-18, 08:02 PM
I've eaten mounds of chocolate-covered coffee beans (http://coffeetea.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602chocbeans.htm), and I've eaten my share of plain coffee beans served in Sambuca (http://cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=224). Yum.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-18, 10:21 PM
I was talking about the coverage on a paltalk room(bad astronomy chat)(audio talking) and whenever I went to talk all I could do was laugh. an odd experence...

Yes, I remember, an odd experience for us all! :D :D

Argos
2005-Jan-19, 12:01 PM
A spoon of raw coffee? Are you guys crazy? :o

It looks like its better absorbed in the liquid state.

enginelessjohn
2005-Jan-19, 01:33 PM
I'm particularly impressed by

Symptoms

body as a whole
- difficulty sleeping
- muscle twitching
- confusion
- in and out of consciousness
- increased urination
- increased thirst
- death
- fever

Though I suspect that getting a post death fever isn't terribly high on the old priorities list..... :)

Had a teaspoon of instant coffee too as a dare, back in the student days, after a beer or two. Don't recall much about the events (10 years ago now) but I remember the foul taste, and talking about nothing much in particular for the rest of the night.

Also had a speeded up heartbeat after a pair of double expresso cappuchinos.... That marked the start of my efforts to reduce my caffine intake somewhat.

Cheers
John

(1 x Espresso, 2x Mug of strongish milky tea per day)

mickal555
2005-Jan-19, 01:56 PM
being young and never having the stuff before probobly did't help.....

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-19, 02:47 PM
My wife worked at at coffee shop for awhile. She use to be the opener and I'd stop by on my way to work. They had a special there that was a couple espresso shots added to a cup of coffee. After the fourth of fifth time, I decided that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. I had more than a few of the above symptoms.

frogesque
2005-Jan-19, 03:48 PM
mickal555, I know you have the basics of this but just to re-inforce what's been said

What happens when you overdose (caffeine) (http://coffeefaq.com/caffaq.html#WhatHappens)

What happens when you overdose?

From Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-3-R (American Psychiatric Association, 1987):

Caffeine-Induced Organic Mental Disorder 305.90 Caffeine Intoxication

1 Recent consumption of caffeine, usually in excess of 250 mg.

2 At least five of the following signs:
1 restlessness
2 nervousness
3 excitement
3 insomnia
4 flushed face
5 diuresis
6 gastrointestinal disturbance
7 muscle twitching
8 rambling flow of thought and speech
9 tachycardia or cardiac arrhythmia
10 periods of inexhaustibility
11 psychomotor agitation

3 Not due to any physical or other mental disorder, such as an Anxiety Disorder.

Basically, overdosing on caffeine will probably be very very unpleasant but not kill or deliver permanent damage.

However, People do die from it.

It then goes on to discuss toxic dosages

mickal555
2005-Jan-20, 11:01 PM
Don't worry I'm not doing that again..........

2005-Aug-25, 12:31 AM
Mmm. Caffeine!

Mmm. CX717!

Drug helps fight sleep deprivation effects (http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20050822-19581400-bc-us-sleepdeprivation.xml)

The drug, currently known as CX717, might become valuable in helping military personnel, health professionals, shift workers and others who must function at top performance in spite of sleep deficits.

Public Library of Science: Facilitation of Task Performance and Removal of the Effects of Sleep Deprivation by an Ampakine (CX717) in Nonhuman Primates (http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0030299)

Trebuchet
2005-Aug-25, 03:43 AM
I mix mine 50-50 with decaf to try to keep the effect somewhat under control.

But I still get blinding headaches if I go without for too long.

Argos
2005-Aug-25, 12:45 PM
Mine is strong (no decaf - never seen a decaf coffee), and I drink it all day long. Most people in this region of the planet deem sleep deprivation due to coffee as a myth. But I believe you.

Talking about it, I think Ill have another one NOW! 8)

sarongsong
2005-Aug-25, 03:11 PM
42 cups of coffee is considered fatal to humans, according to an episode of Animal Planet last night on poisonous creatures.

Argos
2005-Aug-25, 03:36 PM
Coffee contains roughly 100 mg of caffeine per cup (the little ones, the kind I use). Forty-two cups would make up 4,2 grams. I take one gram a day, easily (some ten cups - plus chocolate, tea, coke...). Looks like Im living dangerously. :)

George
2005-Aug-25, 04:42 PM
Coffee contains roughly 100 mg of caffeine per cup (the little ones, the kind I use). Forty-two cups would make up 4,2 grams. I take one gram a day, easily (some ten cups - plus chocolate, tea, coke...). Looks like Im living dangerously. :)

Here is a list (http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm) of various uncontrolled :wink: substances and their respective caffeine levels.

[edit: another site on caffeine levels (http://www.coolnurse.com/caffeine.htm). ]

I am not sure I agree with tea being much lower than coffee. I believe I react more to tea than coffee even if the consumption amount is the same. #-o Are there other compounds which might affect me in tea?

My ears ring proportional to caffeine and msg. #-o

Argos
2005-Aug-25, 04:49 PM
I am not sure I agree with tea being much lower than coffee. I believe I react more to tea than coffee even if the consumption amount is the same. #-o Are there other compounds which might affect me in tea?

Are you sure that white substance you put in your tea is sugar? :)

Just kidding. Thanks for the link. :wink:

farmerjumperdon
2005-Aug-25, 05:01 PM
Ive been known to grind up some beans (you have to use a mill grinder, bladed grinders damage the taste ;) ) and sprinkle it on ice cream. :D

I've heard that too, but have also been told it is a myth. The texture of the grind matters, but how you get to that texture does not. The more you grind it up, the more flavor you get, but also the more acidic your final product. When you think about it, especially when grinding to a very fine state, why would it matter how it got that way.

For the record, the farmer grinds it fine (not quite Turkish though), and uses one heaping tablespoon per intended 10 ounce mug. Dose with real cream, real sugar, and drink 2 mugs. Preferred bean is Starbucks French Roast, and occasionally something exotic like Jamaican Blue Hill. That's real coffee. :D :o :D :o

Captain Kidd
2005-Aug-25, 05:07 PM
Before Midshipman Kidd arrived, my wife worked at a coffee shop. She usually was the opener and I'd go spend about half an hour with her before heading on to work. Her parting gift would be one of their "Jolts." A double shot of expresso in a cup of dark roast.

After a week I had to beg off. I'd get the shakes pretty bad and I'm positive I felt my heart palpitating a couple times.

[edited to typo a correct.]

Yoshua
2005-Aug-26, 04:19 PM
Ive been known to grind up some beans (you have to use a mill grinder, bladed grinders damage the taste ;) ) and sprinkle it on ice cream. :D

I've heard that too, but have also been told it is a myth. The texture of the grind matters, but how you get to that texture does not. The more you grind it up, the more flavor you get, but also the more acidic your final product. When you think about it, especially when grinding to a very fine state, why would it matter how it got that way.

For the record, the farmer grinds it fine (not quite Turkish though), and uses one heaping tablespoon per intended 10 ounce mug. Dose with real cream, real sugar, and drink 2 mugs. Preferred bean is Starbucks French Roast, and occasionally something exotic like Jamaican Blue Hill. That's real coffee. :D :o :D :o

My preferance is for Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company (www.brewbar.com). Though I cannot deny this is largely in part due to me being raised in Santa Cruz. But a larger part is due to their very good coffee.

I'd take Starbucks over a large commercial brand like Folgers. But you can do better for "organic" coffee (I guess as opposed to inorganic coffee... made from silicates I guess). I feel Starbucks over roasts their beans, their french roasts taste burnt to me.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Aug-26, 06:33 PM
Yummy. All this coffee talk has got my salivary glands salivating. Time to go for the post-lunch desert java.

sarongsong
2005-Aug-26, 07:15 PM
...My preferance is for Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company...Plus, they're the only coffee-place I've ever seen that individualizes each serving by taking your order, grinding the beans, placing them in a filter-holder and then pouring the hot water thru that into your cup---all before your eyes at the counter. The option of thick real whipped cream is a nice touch, too!
I'd take Starbucks over a large commercial brand like Folgers...I feel Starbucks over roasts their beans...Price-wise, I'd pass on Starbucks' for Yuban (as a super-market offering), Peet's for a boutique brand, and yes, Starbucks does over-roast their beans.

Yoshua
2005-Aug-26, 07:23 PM
...My preferance is for Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company...Plus, they're the only coffee-place I've ever seen that individualizes each serving by taking your order, grinding the beans, placing them in a filter-holder and then pouring the hot water thru that into your cup---all before your eyes at the counter. The option of thick real whipped cream is a nice touch, too!
I'd take Starbucks over a large commercial brand like Folgers...I feel Starbucks over roasts their beans...Price-wise, I'd pass on Starbucks' for Yuban (as a super-market offering), Peet's for a boutique brand, and yes, Starbucks does over-roast their beans.

Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company actually patented their system for making coffee like that. And it's definitly a delight to get a fresh brewed cup of coffee from a placel like that.

Thanksgiving Coffee company further north as adopted the same setup as well.

It's interesting for me. When I lived in Santa Cruz, getting a cup of coffee was a decision of what type of bean you wanted. When I moved to Seattle it was all about expresso drinks and whether you wanted a latter, cappucino, or the like. Drip coffee was very much an after thought, some places didn't even offer real drip coffee (just americano's which taste very differant to me as it's just watered down espresso). I just chuckled a little any time I heard Seattle called the coffee capitol of the US/World.

Nowadays I just mail order coffee from Santa Cruz. Pay a bit more, but it's worth it to me.

Captain Kidd
2005-Aug-28, 05:53 PM

Actually I perfer a mill because of better overall consistency hence the wink, I've not tasted a difference between the types of grinding. The bladed grinder tended to be inconsistant with regards to size. I'd have a mix of almost Turkish power and the occasional nearly whole bean that somehow survived getting chopped up. With the mill grinder it's more uniform. Doesn't matter for coffee all that much, but for powdering it up for ice cream it can.

2005-Aug-29, 07:57 PM
PhysOrg News: Coffee is number one source of antioxidants (http://www.physorg.com/news6067.html)

"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source. Nothing else comes close," says study leader Joe Vinson, Ph.D., a chemistry professor at the university. Although fruits and vegetables are generally promoted as good sources of antioxidants, the new finding is surprising because it represents the first time that coffee has been shown to be the primary source from which most Americans get their antioxidants, Vinson says.

hippietrekx
2005-Aug-29, 09:09 PM
hmmm.... Coffee is good for you now. Just like chocolate...

It's a good thing I'm a caffeine addict, or I wouldn't have so many of the good qualities of caffeinated foods... :D

Actually, I dislike coffee. I like coffee cake and coffee ice cream, but I can't get over the smell of coffee. It's not repulsive to me, just really strong...

--hipster

farmerjumperdon
2005-Aug-30, 05:49 PM
Depending on who's research you're looking at and what volumes you consume - everything is good for you and everything is bad for you. I've pretty much quit paying attention and just do what I like.

Funny that you can't take the smell. Often when I have a good strong cup of java people will tell me they love the smell - but don't like the taste.

Argos
2005-Aug-30, 05:58 PM
PhysOrg News: Coffee is number one source of antioxidants (http://www.physorg.com/news6067.html)

Ill have another one now, to celebrate eternal youth. Salute!

Taks
2005-Aug-30, 06:10 PM
as with most drugs, you can easily build a tolerance to caffeine. i regularly drink 1 to 2 pots a day. 2 pots is about 20 cups, or 2 grams of caffeine assuming 100 mg per cup. i don't twitch a whole lot, at least that's what my pink elephant friend tells me. :)

we've got one of those 1 cup machines, can't recall the company. you put a little cartridge of coffe in the machine and it quick brews (forced, heated water) a nice, strong cup for you. good stuff. my elephant friend agrees.

taks

Archer17
2005-Aug-31, 04:19 AM
as with most drugs, you can easily build a tolerance to caffeine. i regularly drink 1 to 2 pots a day. 2 pots is about 20 cups, or 2 grams of caffeine assuming 100 mg per cup. i don't twitch a whole lot, at least that's what my pink elephant friend tells me. :)

we've got one of those 1 cup machines, can't recall the company. you put a little cartridge of coffe in the machine and it quick brews (forced, heated water) a nice, strong cup for you. good stuff. my elephant friend agrees.

taksWow, 2 pots! I used to drink my share back in the old days when I did shift work but .. I'm talking 5-6 cups. 20 cups .. guess you were perky, eh? :wink:

CalabashCorolla
2005-Aug-31, 04:37 AM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that I have made it through college so far without drinking a drop of coffee \:D/ . No Mountain Dew or Jolt either. I drink tea, but mostly when it's cold, or when my sinuses get clogged.

I'm glad that so many people are flippant about their "addiction", but I've seen it get scary in some people. My sister went on Atkins about a year ago, and switched to 70% cocoa chocolate. She might as well eat straight coffee; after eating a bar of that stuff plus the espresso-grade coffee she drinks by the mug, she gets beyond wired. Yikes.

Amazingly, your body WILL produce its own stimulants if you let it. The couple of times I've pulled near-all-nighters (with occasional 20 minute naps), eventually my body has kicked up the production of what I assume is adrenaline; all of a sudden I stop feeling sleepy and actually get fairly jittery. It sucks when you actually try to get some sleep later on and you can't calm down...

Taks
2005-Aug-31, 06:11 AM
She might as well eat straight coffee; after eating a bar of that stuff plus the espresso-grade coffee she drinks by the mug, she gets beyond wired. Yikes.
there's really not that much caffeine in chocolate (http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/choc_8.html).

and yes, 20 cups will mess me up, 10 is my normal limit.

taks

CalabashCorolla
2005-Sep-02, 12:48 AM
there's really not that much caffeine in chocolate (http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/choc_8.html).
taks

According to the FDA. a 1.5 oz bar of Hershey's Special Dark has 31 mg of caffeine. I'm pretty sure that that particular brand is 40% or less cocoa. The "designer" chocolates with 70% or higher cocoa (made by companies like Lindt) prbably have as much caffeine per bar as a cappucino or latte.

Bottom line, the more straight cocoa, the more caffeine.

Ithildin
2005-Sep-02, 01:23 AM
Done that myself..

I'am a big coffee adict and my normal brew is a mug of expresso 7 to 8 times a day. Always buy organic btw. It tastes better. Don't get the shakes anymore but I think thats because I got used to it. Normal coffee just don't do it for me anymore.

directly into bloodstream eh? ill keep that in mind for morning finals. or finals in general :D

organic DOES taste much better. i always try to buy organic when i can. Unfortunately the 'normal' amount of coffee doesnt do much for me either XD need quite alot of it to get me jumpy... in fact i need at least a cup or two of coffee before i start feeling 'normal'... is this a bad sign? :-? :D

Taks
2005-Sep-02, 01:34 AM
According to the FDA. a 1.5 oz bar of Hershey's Special Dark has 31 mg of caffeine. I'm pretty sure that that particular brand is 40% or less cocoa. The "designer" chocolates with 70% or higher cocoa (made by companies like Lindt) prbably have as much caffeine per bar as a cappucino or latte.
hershey's dark is a high cocoa content, that's why it's dark. based on a number i just read for ghirardelli dark chocolate, they are comparable...

taks

sarongsong
2007-Aug-13, 09:29 PM
When will you people learn!! Just say no to coffee!...Still learning! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
August 13, 2007
Girl overdoses on espresso coffee...Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos...was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine...had thought the coffees were single measures..."I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."...
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6944026.stm)

Lurker
2007-Aug-13, 10:05 PM
Still learning! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
yeah... when people ask me if I am drug free... I say no way, but I only use the dangerous that are legal... :)

Whirlpool
2007-Aug-14, 08:59 AM
i like coffee.. actually i loove coffee.. but.. ever since im having problems with sleep .. i gradually abstain myself from drinking one.....

but .. sometimes.. I cheat .. and give myself a treat....

:p

djellison
2007-Aug-14, 10:47 AM
Caffeine Overdose (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002579.htm)

Symptoms

And death.

Doug

pilgrim
2007-Aug-14, 11:07 AM
Fair Trade coffee!!!!!!!!!!! Means all the high and none of the guilt of exploiters. Inceidentally, I got into the habit of Java's coffee every morning as soon as I get into work, usually without breakfast. Perhaps that's why I'm shivery and twitchy most mornings. Or it could be the weather this summer, there have only been about 2 really nice days in Ireland so far!!! Whatever happened to that global warming?!:lol:

Maksutov
2007-Aug-14, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lurker http://www.bautforum.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/15652-coffee-trip-post337176.html#post337176) When will you people learn!! Just say no to coffee!...Still learning! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
When will people learn to stop resurrecting two-year-old threads?

Just say no!

Sticks
2007-Aug-14, 01:53 PM
Instant coffee is so lame

I think I have managed to generate a tollerance to coffee, and I carry with me my own coffee mug I got from Canada

The attached image was taken at Cafe Nero (http://www.caffenero.com), you can tell from the size of my mug, I really like coffee

And I never have any (twitch), side, (twitch) effects at all (Twitch) :shifty:

The lass that ODed lives in our region.

Lurker
2007-Aug-14, 06:31 PM
uh... actually this was started by Amadeus and reserected by sarongsong... :)

Yeah... death is a symptom of an overdose... but then no one lives forever... ;)

mickal555
2007-Sep-02, 03:13 AM
Ohhh this reminds me of my drug crazed youth.

Tobin Dax
2007-Sep-02, 09:34 AM
Ohhh this reminds me of my drug crazed youth.
That was only two years ago. Ah, to be that young.

BTW, did you get Mak's permission to resurrect a two-week-old thread? ;)

mickal555
2007-Sep-02, 12:18 PM
Mak scares me.

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 12:27 PM
Mak scares me.Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

mickal555
2007-Sep-02, 12:32 PM
Argh!

What happened to your old avatar which I can no longer remember what it was of.

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 12:36 PM
Watch the static on your TV.

We're there!

mickal555
2007-Sep-02, 12:45 PM
Really!

'Cause I have been doing it lately and everyone said I was starting to loose it, but now I mean there must definitely be something there 'cause you said it and yeah now I know I'm not crazy.

Sticks
2007-Sep-02, 02:08 PM
Argh!

What happened to your old avatar which I can no longer remember what it was of.

And what happened to your hippo? :eh:

sarongsong
2007-Sep-02, 05:13 PM
Mak scares me.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.pssst---mickal---here, quick---use this silver spike if he comes any closer! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

mickal555
2007-Sep-03, 05:47 AM
And what happened to your hippo? :eh:

It died. :(

Maksutov
2007-Sep-03, 08:41 AM
pssst---mickal---here, quick---use this silver spike if he comes any closer! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gifHe better save that implement for mike alexander (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/64036-im-sorry-but-what-larry-craig-guilty-5.html#post1062781). Or his avatar, at least.