PDA

View Full Version : Famous last words.

Doodler
2005-Jan-18, 05:15 PM
Here's one for the Darwin Awards. Glad its not just guys that do this stuff.

Just before she fell, she had called out to a friend, "Watch to see what I can still do," a police report said. Foul play is not believed to be involved, officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/18/balcony.death.ap/index.html

Wally
2005-Jan-18, 06:05 PM
Foul play is not believed to be involved, officials said.

while foul play may not be involved, I'm betting my bottom dollar alcohol played a part!!!

who in their right mind would do a handstand from the railing of a balconey!!! #-o

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 06:27 PM
:o

http://img34.exs.cx/img34/6313/tomb028qm.jpg

Please indulge me, I have a strange sense of humor. :oops:

jfribrg
2005-Jan-18, 06:59 PM
Here lies Molly.
Thought she was still a gymnast, by golly.
But alas, it was all folly.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 07:01 PM
"I told him this rock was loose" :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 07:02 PM
As this thread is titled "famous last words" and not grave texts, I'll add the most common last words on earth:

"no it won't"
:D

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 07:31 PM
http://img50.exs.cx/img50/2392/tomb032zb.jpg

:wink:

ktesibios
2005-Jan-18, 07:45 PM
For actual last words, it's hard to improve on those of Pancho Villa:

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

or the elegant simplicity and directness of Luther Burbank:

"I don't feel good"

tlbs101
2005-Jan-18, 07:49 PM
"I smell gas... hand me a match so I can get a better look..."

Those are my favorite "last words".

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 07:52 PM
"no, of course it's not loaded."

jfribrg
2005-Jan-18, 07:57 PM
Supposedly true story. Last words of a Union General during the U.S. Civil War, "From that distance, they couldn't hit the side of a".

jfribrg
2005-Jan-18, 08:00 PM
How about an XML gravestone:

<Molly>
<Handstand>
</Molly>

Lurker
2005-Jan-18, 08:03 PM
I have been told that the last audible word on many black box voice recorders recovered from cockpits.... is a single one word expletive uttered in a rather hopless voice.

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-18, 08:09 PM
John Adams: "Thomas Jefferson still survives."

Actually he was wrong, Jefferson having passed away a couple of hours earlier. July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 08:16 PM
I have been told that the last audible word on many black box voice recorders recovered from cockpits.... is a single one word expletive uttered in a rather hopless voice.

Yeah, but you can't put

"**** **** **** **** ****"

on a tombstone, can you? :)

Nergal
2005-Jan-18, 08:18 PM
"I smell gas... hand me a match so I can get a better look..."

Those are my favorite "last words".
Speaking as someone who works in a hospital with a Burn Center...you have no clue how often that gets said. #-o

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 08:20 PM
Yeah, but you can't put

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/4855/tomb046ty.jpg

QED :wink:

SciFi Chick
2005-Jan-18, 08:45 PM

I'm curious. Does it start with an 's' or an 'f'?

rleyland
2005-Jan-18, 08:49 PM

or 'M' if you are french?

SciFi Chick
2005-Jan-18, 08:52 PM

or 'M' if you are french?

Does 'm' correspond with the American 's' or 'f'? :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 08:53 PM
In Dutch, it would be *****************************************
We like the longer, hm, "powerful expressions". I guess a trained person can fill the entire descend with just one continuous stream of "words of discomfort connected together" :D

SAMU
2005-Jan-18, 09:06 PM
When asked by the police "what happened?" the 13 year old boy said "It was an accident. I didn't know the UZI was loaded."

sarongsong
2005-Jan-18, 09:23 PM
"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."
---Humphrey Bogart (http://webs.lanset.com/bookfolk/lastword.htm) 1899-1957

jfribrg
2005-Jan-18, 09:31 PM

I suspect it starts with an "S". The Cosby Principle: First you say it, then you do it.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-18, 10:18 PM
The late Spike Milligan is said to have on his gravestone "I told you I was ill!"

:D

Lurker
2005-Jan-18, 10:32 PM

I suspect it starts with an "S". The Cosby Principle: First you say it, then you do it.
From what I heard, the last word that is heard most often begins with an 's'

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 10:38 PM
Though "no" or a small variant is very common as well.

Bob
2005-Jan-18, 10:47 PM
It's fireproof.

He's probably just hibernating.

What does this button do?

It's probably just a rash.

Are you sure the power is off?

The odds of that happening have to be a million to one!

Pull the pin and count to what?

Which wire was I supposed to cut?

I wonder where the mother bear is.

I've seen this done on TV.

These are the good kind of mushrooms.

I'll hold it and you light the fuse.

Let it down slowly.

It's strong enough for both of us.

This doesn't taste right.

I can make this light before it changes.

Nice doggie.

I can do that with my eyes closed.

I've done this before.

What duck?

Well, we've made it this far.

That's odd.

Don't be so superstitious.

Watch this.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 11:02 PM
"Honey, I have to tell you something"

Gmann
2005-Jan-18, 11:08 PM
Someone hold my beer, I have to turn left.

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 11:12 PM
Damn!, now which latch was for the reserve chute?

Is somebody there?

I'll be right back.

Help!

Honey, did you hear that?

If I just stretch a bit, I can reach it.

Yes doctor, I trust you.

aurora
2005-Jan-18, 11:16 PM
Let me do that.

The ice looks solid, drive on.

It's never done that before.

What's that sound?

===

"Bring me tools and beer." - Homer Simpson

Nicolas
2005-Jan-18, 11:21 PM
"that only happens in cartoons"

"that would be a good laugh"

"observe"

"yeah right, get real"

"I wonder why this is so cheap?"

"I once knew this guy who did exactly the same thing and when he..."

"look at me going! look at me!!"

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-18, 11:26 PM
I'm so proud, I fixed the brakes myself!

F*** you, officer!

Makgraf
2005-Jan-19, 12:37 AM
"Oh c'mon mom! The world's not going to end if I don't eat my broccoli!"

Nicolas
2005-Jan-19, 12:38 AM
Makgraf,

"graf" is Dutch for "Grave" :D

Your signature is appropriate :D (I loved it from the first time I saw it)

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-19, 01:07 AM
[off subject]

"Oh c'mon mom! The world's not going to end if I don't eat my broccoli!"

:lol:

But, this poses dire philosophical questions. Supposing the child didn't each his broccoli, in turn causing the end of the world, then how would we have knowledge of the event, making the last words famous? :o

[/off subject]

Makgraf
2005-Jan-19, 01:27 AM
Makgraf,

"graf" is Dutch for "Grave" :D

Your signature is appropriate :D (I loved it from the first time I saw it)
Glad you like it :) (It is just a joke though, my grandfather is alive, well and a pathologist not a pilot). Orginally my name was Margrave (which is an Anglicanized title of German nobility equivelent to a Marquis) but that was taken for hotmail so I picked Makgraf enough (I've seen Markgraf as well). I believe it comes from the lord of a Mark (anglicanized March) which is a border-province, which you can see in names like Denmark (Dane's Mark). Gosh, maybe this should've gone on the "Where does your name come from thread? :oops:

But, this poses dire philosophical questions. Supposing the child didn't each his broccoli, in turn causing the end of the world, then how would we have knowledge of the event, making the last words famous?
Something similar happened to me in my Soviet History class. The prof mentioned an Opera (The Life for the Tsar) where the heroic peasent Ivan Susanin leads a band of murderous Poles (who think he's taking them to the Tsar) into the heart of the woods where no one who doesn't know the forest can escape. Ivan then tells them what he's done and they hack him to pieces, but then eventually starve to death. I was thinking what you were thinking, "Wait, how did anyone find out?"

mike alexander
2005-Jan-19, 02:01 AM
"I think I am becoming a god."

-Emperor Vespasian.

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-19, 04:43 AM
Famous Last Words (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6537/realidx.htm)

Maksutov
2005-Jan-19, 05:54 AM
Since some of the posts include epitaphs, here's one of my all time favorites. It's a gravestone located in Milford, CT, photographed by yours truly.

http://img82.exs.cx/img82/5711/maryfowler8qv.th.jpg (http://img82.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img82&image=maryfowler8qv.jpg)

Sort of redefines "terse verse".

mike alexander
2005-Jan-19, 06:28 AM
Not to mention planning ahead

jfribrg
2005-Jan-19, 02:10 PM
I also heard about a pilot, reading an English language instrument panel, say in some foreign language, "What does 'pull up' mean?"

Gillianren
2005-Jan-20, 04:02 AM
the exact quote of that poor general, whose name I am too lazy to look up, was "they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

and then there's the classic last words of Millard Fillmore: "the nourishment is palatable."

Bawheid
2005-Jan-20, 11:49 AM
the exact quote of that poor general, whose name I am too lazy to look up, was "they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Union General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania Court House.

Candy
2005-Jan-20, 03:48 PM
Yeah, but you can't put

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/4855/tomb046ty.jpg

QED :wink:

=D>

jfribrg
2005-Jan-20, 05:08 PM

and then there's the classic last words of Millard Fillmore: "the nourishment is palatable."

At least I was close in my quote. I got the right war and the right rank.

One Day More
2005-Jan-21, 05:15 AM
"Hey, what's the worst that can happen?"
"How likely is it that I'll be hit by light-" In heaven "-ning?"
"I know lightning loves metal, but I'll survive the storm."
"Oh come on, I've only had one beer!"
"Hm, wonder what'll happen if I press this button?"
"Is that explosive?"

Jobe
2005-Jan-21, 05:35 AM
I think the winner has to be the late, great Richard Feynman! Physicist / teacher extraordinaire.

"I'd hate to die twice, it's so boring".

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-21, 05:43 AM
Good one for a former US President:

"I've set it up so Denver goes when I do. Goodbye."

They'd have to check.

Jim
2005-Jan-21, 04:44 PM

Okay, not "last words" fortunately, but along the same lines...

Golfer Lee Trevino has been struck by lightning twice while on the course. Some time after the second incident, he was in a foursome when a storm moved in and lightning began to pop on the horizon. The golfers immediately began heading for the clubhouse at a fast trot.

As the lightning got closer, one golfer glanced at Trevino, and saw him reach into his bag, pull out a golf club (metal), stretch his arm fully, and hold the club over his head.

"Lee," cried the golfer, "are you crazy?!"

Trevino replied, "Hey, not even God can hit a one iron."

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-21, 07:55 PM
Hey!

Ya'll watch this!

Gmann
2005-Jan-22, 01:31 PM
Hey John, take my camera. It isn't every day you get to pose in the woods with a dead Grizzly bear.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-22, 01:52 PM
"WHO SAID THAT?!!"

Gmann
2005-Jan-22, 02:31 PM
It was the guy who posed with his foot on the head of a Grizzly Bear, only to learn (the hard way) that rumors of the Bear's demise were greatly exaggerated. :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-22, 06:00 PM
Gmann, that wasn't a question I posted, that was an example of famous last words (hence the " " ) :)

Other famous last words:

"Of course I'm sure! I know a stampede when I see one!"

Moose
2005-Jan-22, 06:52 PM
"Hmm. I wonder what this does?"

One Day More
2005-Jan-22, 09:41 PM
"Hold my hand and we're half way there. Hold my hand and I'll take you there. Somehow...someday..." (West Side Story at the end).

"Okay, so if I touch this cable, 1000 volts could coarse through me?"

"Hey, my branch, where did it go? Uh-oh, I'm falling, mercilessly to Earth, and I had got to have been at least 100m high in that tree..."

"What crocodile? It's just a rotting log!"

kleindoofy
2005-Jan-22, 11:43 PM
No honey, we have the right of way, not that truck!

Come on, jump in, the water's fine, those are just dolphins, you can tell by the shape of the fins.

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-23, 01:24 AM
I heard somewhere that Busby Berkeley's last words were (in the throes of delirium): "More stairs!"

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to believe that.

My favorite movie last words were from "Heist:"

Danny DeVito: "Don't you want to hear my last words?"
Gene Hackman: "I just did."
Shotgun: *BOOM*

Gmann
2005-Jan-23, 01:28 PM
Gmann, that wasn't a question I posted, that was an example of famous last words (hence the " " )

My bad. :oops: (hey, those could be last words too) :-k

Nicolas
2005-Jan-23, 01:43 PM
woo-woo's definitely NOT last words:

"we're all gonna die!!!"
"that comet is coming right at us!!!"
"I'm being attacked by UFO's!!!"
"This disastrous event is calculated to happen tomorrow"

woo-woo's probable last words:

"Swear on a bible that you walked on the moon!" :D
(meant in a Hoagland way, not a religious way)

mickal555
2005-Jan-23, 02:07 PM
woo-woo's definitely NOT last words:

"we're all gonna die!!!"
"that comet is coming right at us!!!"
"I'm being attacked by UFO's!!!"
"This disastrous event is calculated to happen tomorrow"

woo-woo's probable last words:

"Swear on a bible that you walked on the moon!" :D
(meant in a Hoagland way, not a religious way)
meaning somone finally snuffs him? :P

Mistermystery
2005-Jan-23, 02:32 PM
Here's one for the Darwin Awards.

While we're at it, I would like to nominate Derek Kieper (http://ppc.unl.edu/images/dkieper.gif).

My God, what a man. Derek kieper is "smart ánd collumnist for the Daily Nebraskan". He's apperently very angry at uncle Sam because Uncle Sam is "meddeling with his life". When for instance Uncle Sam passes a law that says that you should wear seatbelts, Derek is the person to say "**** YOU (http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/17/414a5a030e91d?in_archive=1)" to that law. Mr. Kieper is one of the members of a "diehard-group of people who refuse to wear a seat belts."

Irony dictates of course the following situation (http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/01/04/local/doc41db350078259784029686.txt). Nice going Kieper, you were right about being a die-hard.

Gmann
2005-Jan-24, 02:20 PM
Read the reader feedback connected to the first link. I believe he would have lost the debate. Sort of reminds me of a scene in the movie "Red Dawn" where a pickup truck has a bumpersticker that says "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers". In the scene there is a hand holding a gun laying on the ground, and one of the paratroopers steps on the wrist, and picks up the gun. I you drive a car without a seatbelt, you are a fool. Most people don't realize the G-forces involved in a simple, but abrupt stop while going 50 MPH.

Oh look, I'm grandstanding again :oops:

How about this: "Caution, Flammable, Contents under pressure, do not expose to open flame." (OK, he was just reading it)

aurora
2005-Jan-24, 07:02 PM
not last words, but funny...

Ford Prefect: "wait, what's this switch?"
Arthur Dent: (something like, "What? Where?!")
Ford: "I was only foolin'. We are going to die after all."

Jim
2005-Jan-24, 07:38 PM
As Gertrude Stein lay dying, her companion of many years, Alice B. Toklas, is said to have asked her, "Gertrude? Gertrude, what is the answer?"

To which Stein replied, "What is the question?" and promptly passed on.

Doodler
2005-Jan-24, 07:58 PM

Okay, not "last words" fortunately, but along the same lines...

Golfer Lee Trevino has been struck by lightning twice while on the course. Some time after the second incident, he was in a foursome when a storm moved in and lightning began to pop on the horizon. The golfers immediately began heading for the clubhouse at a fast trot.

As the lightning got closer, one golfer glanced at Trevino, and saw him reach into his bag, pull out a golf club (metal), stretch his arm fully, and hold the club over his head.

"Lee," cried the golfer, "are you crazy?!"

Trevino replied, "Hey, not even God can hit a one iron."

I read this and I'm reminded of one from the Darwin awards website. A lawyer on an aluminum boat in a thunderstorm, threw his hands in the air and said, "Ok, God, let me have it."

Verily, the Lord let him have it. His friend survived with second and third degree burns.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-25, 12:34 AM
"Pfft. Fat chance."

Gmann
2005-Jan-25, 01:39 PM
I like Paul Harvey's style of describing famous last words, or last actions. they usually start with: " So and so from wherever was in his garage working on a....., he decided to use a ...... instead of the correct tool, he was 37".

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Jan-25, 01:42 PM
I like Paul Harvey's style of describing famous last words, or last actions. they usually start with: " So and so from wherever was in his garage working on a....., he decided to use a ...... instead of the correct tool, he was 37".
Doesn't Paul Harvey usually finish this sort of story with "... will always be 37" (or whatever the age of the deceased was)? :)

Gmann
2005-Jan-25, 01:47 PM
He may have, but all of the ones I remember hearing ended with the "he/she was (age)" He usually did this with people who died doing something completely stupid.

One Day More
2005-Feb-03, 07:46 AM
"I knew it was risky balancing on the railing three stories up!"

Sims 2: "Hmm, lets see what'll happen if I drink this virus..." Side note: In The Sims 2, you can sometimes make a virus with an aspiration award.

Hutch
2005-Feb-03, 07:34 PM

Union General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania Court House.

Great story, and it is probably a true one, unlike a few of the last words of famous folks.

Sedgwick was a commander of a Union Army Corps, and rather well-liked by the men under his Command, who nicknamed him "Uncle John". During the above battle, he was riding among the troops (in the 19th Century generals were supposed to be near the front lines, which of course led to a lot of them getting killed) who were ducking to avoid Southern sharpshooters. He made his famous quote (which he completed, it is sometimes shown as interrupted in mid-sentence) and rode on, only to be shot from the saddle a few seconds later.

Sorry to add fairly useless info, but I enjoy stuffing my head with Civil War stuff and occassionally I have to some of it out.

Jim
2005-Feb-03, 07:54 PM
... "they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

(Union General John) Sedgwick ... was riding among the troops ... who were ducking ... He made his famous quote .. and rode on, only to be shot from the saddle a few seconds later.

Sorry to add fairly useless info, but I enjoy stuffing my head with Civil War stuff and occassionally I have to some of it out.

But, you miss the whole point.

Were any elephants hit that day?

Nicolas
2005-Feb-03, 07:56 PM
... "they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

(Union General John) Sedgwick ... was riding among the troops ... who were ducking ... He made his famous quote .. and rode on, only to be shot from the saddle a few seconds later.

But, you miss the whole point.

Were any elephants hit that day?

Of course not! the man just said they couldn't!! Pay attention please! :D
(turning jokes against you :))

Gillianren
2005-Feb-08, 04:05 AM
see, I did actually know all that about Sedgwick, did I bother to look up the poor man's name. I am told there's a monument to him at the place where he died. it's the size of an elephant . . . .

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Feb-08, 09:21 AM
You may know of the famous bullet-catching death of Chung Ling Soo,
no he wasn't a Chinaman

but there was another magician who was shot & killed for the sake of magic
Raoul Curran the man who could catch bullets in his teeth

killed by a member of the audience, a Cowboy who jumped up out of his seat in excitement and shot him saying 'Catch this'
poor guy died & without warning

I think it also says something funny on his gravestone

Strangest one of all might be Chris Hubbock, on the morn' of July 15 news-anchor at a Florida station announced on Television, "In keeping with Channel (*£%S*) 's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts, and in living color, you are going to see another first: attempted suicide," and fired a pistol at her head....very odd attempted suicide. The show went out live. Hubbock died some hours later.

Fram
2005-Feb-08, 10:23 AM
Here, let me do that.

Hey, the river just stops there! Let's take a look!

Would this radio work under water?

That rhino can't see me, they have very bad eyesight.

Why is everyone driving in the wrong direction?

If this is my backpack, then where is my parachute?

Wally
2005-Feb-08, 01:20 PM
but there was another magician who was shot & killed for the sake of magic
Raoul Curran the man who could catch bullets in his teeth

Not to hijack the thread, but is there anyone here who actually believes anyone can catch a bullet in their teeth???? [-(

Nice trick. . . but that's all it is. Too bad the cowboy didn't realize it! Wonder if was arrested for murder! (if the story is in fact even true. . .).

Fram
2005-Feb-08, 01:23 PM
It sounds like an urban legend, as it resembles too close the story of the death of Houdini (death by one of his own tricks, but done without preparation).

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-08, 03:01 PM
It sounds like an urban legend, as it resembles too close the story of the death of Houdini (death by one of his own tricks, but done without preparation).
That's not the way I heard the story of Houdini's death--I thought it was that a few fans were asking him questions about being able to sustain blows, and he was distracted, and said yes--and one of them thought he was giving permission to smack him.

Fram
2005-Feb-08, 03:27 PM
Yes, one of his 'tricks' or show elements was being hit in the stomach as hard as possible without problems. When someone did this while he was unprepared, the results were devastating...
This tale is not undisputed either, but I don't see where my post and your post disagree with each other?

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-08, 03:40 PM
Yes, one of his 'tricks' or show elements was being hit in the stomach as hard as possible without problems. When someone did this while he was unprepared, the results were devastating...

Are you sure? I was remembering a biography I read forty years ago, but I just googled and found an account at snopes: Houdini's death (http://www.snopes2.com/horrors/freakish/houdini.htm)

From that, it seems that not only was the death not directly related to the punches--he died from a ruptured appendix--but it doesn't sound like the punches to the stomach were part of his act either.

Fram
2005-Feb-08, 04:04 PM
It seems that I was mixing up a few things. That shall teach me, correcting things by giving a faulty reply :oops:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-08, 04:49 PM
I hadn't heard the part about appendicitis either, or at least I didn't remember it. Maybe beskeptical can verify that comment that a blow to the body is not going to cause it:

With the advantage of several decades of hindsight, however, we now know this explanation to be impossible: no cases of acute appendicitis caused by physical trauma have since been documented.

pghnative
2005-Feb-08, 06:09 PM
Strangest one of all might be Chris Hubbock, on the morn' of July 15 news-anchor at a Florida station announced on Television, "In keeping with Channel (*£%S*) 's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts, and in living color, you are going to see another first: attempted suicide," and fired a pistol at her head....very odd attempted suicide. The show went out live. Hubbock died some hours later.
According to snopes, the name is Chris Chubbock.

Sotos
2005-Feb-08, 06:41 PM
Joan of Arc: Ilfait- il chaud dedans ici, ou est-il seulement moi ?

kleindoofy
2005-Feb-10, 09:07 PM
"I wonder what that sign means?"

http://img143.exs.cx/img143/6214/elecdead1ry.jpg

Doodler
2005-Feb-10, 09:41 PM
I think thats the sign mortals see at the base of Mount Olympus.

"Tresspassers shall be smote by a bolt of lightning."

mickal555
2005-Feb-11, 07:46 AM
I think thats the sign mortals see at the base of Mount Olympus.

"Tresspassers shall be smote by a bolt of lightning."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFL
That reaelly made me laugh
ROFL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFL

Bawheid
2005-Feb-11, 10:48 AM
Joan of Arc: Ilfait- il chaud dedans ici, ou est-il seulement moi ?

=D> =D> =D> Chapeau!