PDA

View Full Version : April New Moon Spotting

Centaur
2015-Apr-18, 04:20 PM
It’s nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. Sighting the Moon aged somewhat more than a day on 2015 APR 19 could result in personal records for many observers in the Americas.

My preview graphics and more detailed article can be found at www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread.

Below is a photo that I shot from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon aged 1.8 days on 2011 MAY 04 at 20:35 CDT.

ngc3314
2015-Apr-20, 02:20 AM
I caught it from Tuscaloosa (in between storms) setting as shown below. Both atmospheric reddening and refraction could be seen as the crescent dropped below the tree-enhanced horizon. Age about 30 hours - not quite my record (a bit less than 24 hours) but visually very striking.

Centaur
2015-Apr-20, 02:35 AM
I caught it from Tuscaloosa (in between storms) setting as shown below. Both atmospheric reddening and refraction could be seen as the crescent dropped below the tree-enhanced horizon. Age about 30 hours - not quite my record (a bit less than 24 hours) but visually very striking.

That's a very interesting series of shots. Glad the sky opened a bit for you. No such luck here in Chicagoland. Thanks for sharing.

Tucson_Tim
2015-Apr-30, 02:12 AM
The skies are still quite clear here and I have a pretty good western sky view for dusk viewings. I also like to view the waning crescent Moon right before dawn as it approaches New Moon -- the dying Moon.