PDA

View Full Version : Intro and hello

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-18, 09:24 PM
Hi folks...

I've been peeking at the Bad Astronomy site for some time, but only recently decided to join up. My main interest here is simply some of the new and astounding discoveries being made, but from time to time I may pose planetary questions in relation to my sci fi setting located at http://j.dollan.home.bresnan.net/ARCindex.html (constantly under construction).

I'm amazed at the sheer amount of traffic here, so likely I'll be more of a reader than a poster! Anyway, glad to be aboard!

...John...

Swift
2005-Jan-18, 09:27 PM
Hi John M., welcome on board. Pull up a chair and stay a while. :D

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-18, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Swift! Looks like I'll have to post more often, if only to get that horrid "newbie" label changed eventually! :wink:

...John...

sarongsong
2005-Jan-18, 09:45 PM
Hi John,
How do you pronounce your town's name?

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-18, 09:50 PM
It is pronounced "Have-ER". Apparently it and several other towns in this region of the state were named after European towns back in the late 1800's, with the hope of attracting a large population -- a ploy that failed.

...John...

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-18, 10:15 PM
Welcome! :D

(It's all downhill from here!)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-19, 12:40 AM
Yep, doesn't get any better than this. :wink:

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-19, 01:07 AM
Yep, doesn't get any better than this. :wink:

Oh, I don't know. We had chicken salad for lunch.... **grins**

...John...

gethen
2005-Jan-19, 02:24 PM
Welcome, John. You'll like it here.

frogesque
2005-Jan-19, 02:32 PM
Hi from Froggy as well!

Reacher
2005-Jan-19, 02:42 PM
Hey, John... Don't be concerned about reading more than posting. All of us do that... With the exception of Humphrey. :)

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-19, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the hello's, guys! Some of the discussions here can certainly be... amusing, if not outright colorful! I think I'll be having fun indeed!

...John...

Maksutov
2005-Jan-19, 10:52 PM
It is pronounced "Have-ER". Apparently it and several other towns in this region of the state were named after European towns back in the late 1800's, with the hope of attracting a large population -- a ploy that failed.

...John...
I'm sure some posters from Wisconsin would have bet it rhymed with "Favre" (that guy who recently went on vacation for a while). Never could figure out how that "r" sound got ahead of the "v". Must be a Cajun thing.

A warm welcome, especially in consideration of your location.

John M. Dollan
2005-Jan-20, 12:11 AM
I'm sure some posters from Wisconsin would have bet it rhymed with "Favre" (that guy who recently went on vacation for a while). Never could figure out how that "r" sound got ahead of the "v". Must be a Cajun thing.

**chuckles** What I love is when people new to the town and university insist on trying to call it "Hav-REE".

A warm welcome, especially in consideration of your location.

Thanks! Yes, 50 below with the windchill is never fun, although I am always puzzled that it is rarely newsworthy for us to have these temperatures, and yet when regions north of us begin to hit -20 it is all over the news wires. Ah well, we reached 61 above today; I should probably start wearing shorts and go out and rake the backyard!

...John...

Candy
2005-Jan-20, 06:09 PM
Hi folks...

I've been peeking at the Bad Astronomy site for some time, but only recently decided to join up. My main interest here is simply some of the new and astounding discoveries being made, but from time to time I may pose planetary questions in relation to my sci fi setting located at http://j.dollan.home.bresnan.net/ARCindex.html (constantly under construction).

I'm amazed at the sheer amount of traffic here, so likely I'll be more of a reader than a poster! Anyway, glad to be aboard!

...John...
I like the Future Visions! 8)