PDA

View Full Version : wow! talk about a needle!

Wally
2005-Jan-19, 04:11 AM
This dude who had the van outside the White House today, causing the shutdown of the road and all that stuff. He's actually from my tiny little hometown of Cedar Springs Michigan. Pop. of around 2000 is all. Guess he's only lived there for 9 years or so, but when I heard it, I had to laugh in spite of myself!

Of all the gin joints. . . :o

beskeptical
2005-Jan-19, 08:55 AM
I have run into people I knew hundreds to thousands of miles away on three separate occasions. It is a small world.

One time I was at a friend of a friends and there in the house was a guy I had known several years earlier in another state. Wonder what the odds are?

A girlfriend I spent my childhood across the street from ended up living in my quad room (like a dorm, 4 rooms, shared kitchen in the middle) several years after I had lived there. I went to college in Eugene, OR and she had gone to live in Hilo, HI. Years later I heard she was in Eugene so I went to see her when I was passing through and she was in my old room. It was really weird.

Tobin Dax
2005-Jan-19, 01:47 PM
I went to college in Eugene, OR.....

Ah! Blasphemy!

Go Beavs!

pumpkinpie
2005-Jan-19, 02:59 PM
I have run into people I knew hundreds to thousands of miles away on three separate occasions. It is a small world.

One time I was at a friend of a friends and there in the house was a guy I had known several years earlier in another state. Wonder what the odds are?

A girlfriend I spent my childhood across the street from ended up living in my quad room (like a dorm, 4 rooms, shared kitchen in the middle) several years after I had lived there. I went to college in Eugene, OR and she had gone to live in Hilo, HI. Years later I heard she was in Eugene so I went to see her when I was passing through and she was in my old room. It was really weird.

A few summers ago I was in Germany. One day I was visiting the castle Neuschwanstein. I saw a group of high-schoolers and their chaperone. I looked at the shirt one kid was wearing and it was of a musical put on by a Western High School. My mom teaches at a WHS in Michigan, and I had remembered her telling me that one of her English teacher colleagues was taking a group to Germany and that our visits might overlap. So I asked the chaperone if he knew my my mom. Yep, he did! I was amazed that I ran into them. My itinerary was not pre-planned, so I had no way of knowing I would be at Neuschwanstein that day. And my mom didn't know their itinerary at all, either. What a coincidence!

Grizzly
2005-Jan-19, 03:14 PM
I've had a few strange experiences like that.

My grandfather was in a prison camp run by the Brits in India for German Nationals (the same that is featured in "7 Years in Tibet"). I was on a trip to Toronto and was seated just in front of a German tourist who was talking to his seatmate about having lived through the war in a prison camp in India. He was, it turned out, my Grandfather's best friend.

On another occasion my wife and children and I were on vacation in Nova Scotia. My wife had lived in NS for years and knew of some really beautiful secluded beaches. This one day we were the only people on the beach with the exception of what looked to be another family with older children over a kilometre away. As we approached them it dawned on me that I knew these people - they were our next door neighbours who had left the week before us on an unplanned holiday just roaming around the maritimes.

On a flight from heck that had been delayed and rerouted and then cancelled, I managed to wheedle a seat on a flight out of O'Hare. My seatmate? My ex brother-in-law whom I have not seen in over 20 years. I'm living in Calgary, he's living in Arizona, we meet on a plane out of O'Hare.

----
Farrago fatigans!
Thuffering thuccotash

Nicolas
2005-Jan-19, 03:15 PM
While bing in Berlin (which is rather large and crowded to say the least) we ran into the same girl 3 times in 3 days, always at different locations. We never talked to her, so it wasn't like we weer looking for each other. We saw her in metro stations all over Berlin (east and west). By the third day, she had clearly noticed it too, as she didn't seem too comfortable in seeing us again. But we're such nice people. :)

A little less strange: On a 3 day free (EDIT: free as in: everyone can come, no ticket required, so no three-day tickets for the event or something) music festival with about 30.000 or more vistors a day at locations everywhere troughout a city centre, we saw the same girl every day, standing close to us. The third da I saw her literally the moment I said "we haven't seen her today yet"

Now don't think that we attract girls or anything, the same could have happened with a male person. We are ugly! :D

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-19, 04:41 PM
I've had a few strange experiences like that.

My grandfather was in a prison camp run by the Brits in India for German Nationals (the same that is featured in "7 Years in Tibet"). I was on a trip to Toronto and was seated just in front of a German tourist who was talking to his seatmate about having lived through the war in a prison camp in India. He was, it turned out, my Grandfather's best friend.

On another occasion my wife and children and I were on vacation in Nova Scotia. My wife had lived in NS for years and knew of some really beautiful secluded beaches. This one day we were the only people on the beach with the exception of what looked to be another family with older children over a kilometre away. As we approached them it dawned on me that I knew these people - they were our next door neighbours who had left the week before us on an unplanned holiday just roaming around the maritimes.

On a flight from heck that had been delayed and rerouted and then cancelled, I managed to wheedle a seat on a flight out of O'Hare. My seatmate? My ex brother-in-law whom I have not seen in over 20 years. I'm living in Calgary, he's living in Arizona, we meet on a plane out of O'Hare.

----
Farrago fatigans!
Thuffering thuccotash

Hmmm ....

I Wonder, What your Ex-Wife, Thought about That ...

Grizzly
2005-Jan-19, 05:25 PM
Hmmm ....

I Wonder, What your Ex-Wife, Thought about That ...

I. Don't. Care. 8-[

By the way though... it could be the curren contestant's sister's ex-husband, or it could be my sister's ex-husband. The English language is sadly deficient in words to describe familial relationships. Why only 1 word for uncle or aunt?

----
Vale, lacerte!
See you later, alligator!

Parrothead
2005-Jan-19, 06:17 PM
Started folk dancing at age 3. Age 6, 1972 Estonian World Festival here in Toronto. An extravaganza (involving Estonian groups from all over the world) combining theater, choirs singing, rhythmic gymnastics and folk dancing into a story, was held outdoors at Exhibition stadium. It had been raining all day but cleared for the show. During the show one of my shoes slipped off, slid my foot back into the shoe and kept dancing. Fast forward to Dec 1988, Estonian World Festival in Melbourne, Australia. I'm walking back to my hotel from Exhibition Hall/Building following either the opening night dinner/dance or the New Year's Eve formal. I start talking with this older couple, turns out they're from Italy; They ask where I'm from, I say Toronto. Lady says "I was there for the '72 festival. I remember how this boy lost his shoe during the show, put it back on quickly and continued dancing. I gave that boy a kiss on the cheek afterwards. When reminiscing about the previous festivals with others, the boy losing his shoe still gets mentioned." At this point I'm :o :o :o. Reply to her that it was me, I think she was about as floored as I was, started asking my name, if I was still folk dancing (yes at the time), saying others back home were not going to believe this. Needless to say, that chance meeting stands out among memories from that trip.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-19, 06:36 PM
Got another kiss as well from her that time? :)

jfribrg
2005-Jan-19, 06:54 PM
Here is my small world story:

I was on vacation in Barrow Alaska in 1989 (that's the northern most point in the US), when I met a fellow who lived there. When I told him I was from the Philadelphia area he told me he had moved from there when the pipeline was being built. Turns out that he lived on the same street that I did. I told him my house number and he thought about it for a second and said "That's the house with the tall hedges around it".

beskeptical
2005-Jan-19, 07:54 PM

Ah! Blasphemy!

Go Beavs!Actually, I went to Lane CC. First nursing degree was an Associate. I finished my BSN and MSN at the UW in Seattle.

Go Huskies!!!

Trebuchet
2005-Jan-19, 08:03 PM
Here's my small world story.
After college I was drafted and stationed in Korea. I took a mid-tour leave home and one of my old college roomates came for a visit. Naturally we stayed up talking "old times" all night. (Old times being one to four years previous -- we were young.)

Anyhow, I recalled a "friend of a friend" from our freshman year but couldn't remember his name. My old roomate couldn't remember either. This bugged me for the rest of my leave and even after I got back. I kept seeing someone who had a vague resemblence and thinking "What WAS that guy's name?"

I finally found out by asking him after I physically bumped into him at the mess hall. I can still remember his name now, thirty years later.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-19, 08:07 PM
The shoe story reminded me of another story.

I was on a fairly long hitch-hike adventure with my boyfriend at the time back in my college days. We were looking for a ride on a pretty desolate stretch of hwy. in Canada when my shoe literally fell apart. I had no spare and we were walking/hitching because it didn't look like we would get a ride.

I can't remember how far away they were at the time but within an extremely short distance, there was a perfectly good pair of Puma tennis shoes that fit just sitting on the side of the road. :o And we are talking empty road here. I think we got out of a car that had turned on a side road. There were no houses, buildings, people, anywhere nearby.

In fact, the shoes fit so well I wore them until they wore out more than a year later.

It's no wonder stories of miracles get started!!

tlbs101
2005-Jan-19, 08:16 PM

Ah! Blasphemy!

Go Beavs!

Actually, I went to Lane CC. First nursing degree was an Associate. I finished my BSN and MSN at the UW in Seattle.

Go Huskies!!!

Blasphemy, all!

Go Cougs!

WSU has great astrophysics and astronomy (http://astro.wsu.edu/observatory.html) programs, with the 12-inch Clark refractor and more clear seeing in Pullman than you could ever get in Seattle, Eugene, or even Corvallis.

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-19, 08:36 PM
My turn!
The first day of college orientation this year I happened to stand next to another girl in one of those stupid "get to know each other" games when she turned to me and said "So do you remember who I am?" Ends up we both went to astronomy camp the previous year and she currently lives on my floor. Then later on while the two of us were standing around another girl comes up to us and lo and behold it's another astro camper from the same year who lives the next dorm over.
For the record, neither of us knew the other two were coming and there's a good hundred miles between each of our houses. :o

Normandy6644
2005-Jan-19, 09:53 PM
These stories are all so cool! It makes me want to run into someone at random (or is it? :-k) like that so I can post a cool story!

Gillianren
2005-Jan-20, 03:52 AM

Ah! Blasphemy!

Go Beavs!

Actually, I went to Lane CC. First nursing degree was an Associate. I finished my BSN and MSN at the UW in Seattle.

Go Huskies!!!

Blasphemy, all!

Go Cougs!

WSU has great astrophysics and astronomy (http://astro.wsu.edu/observatory.html) programs, with the 12-inch Clark refractor and more clear seeing in Pullman than you could ever get in Seattle, or Corvallis.

go, Geoducks, go (insert rest of deeply disturbing fight song here). hey, Matt Groening went to TESC (The Evergreen State College).

Bawheid
2005-Jan-20, 12:28 PM
A couple of years ago Mrs B and I were on holiday in rural Tuscany. An older couple from England arrived a few days after us and we got talking one evening while quality testing some chianti.

Them: Where are you from?
Us: Long story blah, blah, used to live in Dumfries (Pop. 40,000) blah, blah.
Them: Our daughter's fiance's mother lives in Dumfries, Libby Ritchie.
Mrs B: She used to be the lab tech. for science at my school.
Me: Is it Norman or David your daughter is marrying? I was in the Scouts with them both.
All: :o

Jim
2005-Jan-20, 01:32 PM
I studied chemical engineering at The University of Texas. One of the icons of the Department - indeed, of the entire field - was Dr. John McKetta. Unfortunately, while I was there, he was working on a special assignment out of the Chancellor's office; he didn't get back in the classroom until after I graduated.

About nine years later, I attended a convention in Boston. I decided to take a city tour and boarded the bus, sitting down next to an older gentleman. As the bus started up, he turned to me and said, "We should introduce ourselves. I'm John McKetta."

Candy
2005-Jan-20, 03:44 PM
These stories are all so cool! It makes me want to run into someone at random (or is it? :-k) like that so I can post a cool story!
8-[

kucharek
2005-Jan-20, 03:55 PM
Many years ago I was strolling around in London when suddenly someone said from behind: "Hi Harald!". Was a girl I had learnt to know a few weeks before at a party here.

sts60
2005-Jan-20, 06:03 PM
I played in a recreational baseball league in Juneau, Alaska (population ~30,000) one summer. The next spring, I ran into a guy from that league in Thibodeaux, Louisiana (population: ? but small), where he pitched on the local university's team.

"It's not a small world. It's just folded over so many times." - Eyebeam

jfribrg
2005-Jan-20, 07:11 PM
I got a call from an old friend that I grew up with years before. He was visiting his wife's friends parent's house in Maine (we grew up in PA) to tell me that a picture of my grandfather and my father is hanging above the mantel of this family that I had never met and who didn't know any of us. That picture was from a retirement party from 1946 at the factory that my father and grandfather worked. There were about 10 men in the picture, the retiree being the grandfather of the person whose house my friend was visiting. When my friend saw the picture, he commented on how much it looked like my father. He was then told that if you look close you can see the names of the people written at the bottom, and sure enough, there was my father's name. We now have a copy of that photo :)