PDA

View Full Version : Halifax explosion (1917) and resulting tsunami

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jan-19, 03:48 PM
There was a program on the Discovery Channel the other night about the Halifax explosion of 1917. Aparently the explosion generated a tsunami that killed 200 people.

see link-

http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion/he2_ruins/he2_ruins_explosion.html

teddyv
2005-Jan-19, 04:06 PM
There was a program on the Discovery Channel the other night about the Halifax explosion of 1917. Aparently the explosion generated a tsunami that killed 200 people.

see link-

http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion/he2_ruins/he2_ruins_explosion.html

The Vancouver Sun ran an article the other day (paper copy - sorry no link) about a tsunami sometime in the 50's (I think), where a large chunk of a mountain in Alaska fell into a bay where three fishing boats were anchored and generated a 500m wave/splash. The boats were thrown over the land out to the ocean. One crew amazingly survived. Unless someone else beats me I'll try and get a link.

teddyv
2005-Jan-19, 04:14 PM
Ah, found it.

LINK (http://www.extremescience.com/BiggestWave.htm)

captain swoop
2005-Jan-19, 04:17 PM
In the Thames Estuary off Southend there is a sunken Liberty Ship with aboyt 20,000 tons of HE aboard, been there since WW2, you can see the masts at low tide. No attempt has been made to remove the cargo apart from 1 half hearted one just after it was sunk.

I can't rememebr the name off the top of my head, I will have a look around for it.

captain swoop
2005-Jan-19, 04:20 PM
Found it the USS Richard Montgomery.

Amadeus
2005-Jan-19, 05:04 PM
Saw a program about that.

Seems it's too risky to try and move. Don't know what could set it off but I suppose it's not beyound the realm of possibility the someone out to cause a problem could try and set it off manualy.

Btw there's parts of the English channel that are covered in UXB.

What happened during WW2 was that when pilots returned without dropping their bombs they would release them over this one area of the channel.

It was apparently to dangerous to attempt a landing with bombs on board.

Heard this from my Grandfather who was a pilot then.

Moose
2005-Jan-19, 05:33 PM

All within the narrows itself, yes.

Long distance tidal wave: There are stories of ships miles away from the explosion being lifted on a great "tidal wave." They are not true. But several ships well outside Halifax heard the explosion, saw the plume of smoke on the horizon, and headed for the city to offer help.

McNab's Island and Mauger's Point would have broken a tsunami, in or out. (If anybody's interested in a photo, let me know, and I'll put it up on my site when I get home.)

The CBC site is a good one.

And, as I usually do when this topic comes up, I want to especially recognize the supplies and assistance we received from the city of Boston.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jan-19, 05:47 PM
we donate a Christmas tree to Boston every year in gratitude...

thanks Boston :D

captain swoop
2005-Jan-20, 10:22 AM

What happened during WW2 was that when pilots returned without dropping their bombs they would release them over this one area of the channel.

Entire shiploads of munitions disposed of by sinking in the Irish Sea after WW2 including chemical agents such as Mustard Gas. there are areas that were used as munitions dumping grounds up until the 1970s.

kucharek
2005-Jan-20, 11:23 AM

Entire shiploads of munitions disposed of by sinking in the Irish Sea after WW2 including chemical agents such as Mustard Gas. there are areas that were used as munitions dumping grounds up until the 1970s.

Same holds for the Baltic Sea. Many areas where fishing is not allowed, as chances are high you may have some explosives or mustard gas grenades in your net.