PDA

View Full Version : Dog's and Quantum Tunneling?

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 04:02 PM
I just walked into my bathroom to find my dog in the bath. I'm not sure how the heck he did it, he's less than 1 foot tall and the edge of the bath is 3 feet tall. He can't even jump very high because he's over weight. There's nothing near the bath to help him climb up either. #-o

It's said that if you tried walking into a wall for infinity just before you reached infinity you would pass through the wall. I wonder if it's less time for dogs :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-19, 04:11 PM
Of course, a dog's year counts for 7! :D

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-19, 04:13 PM
First, draw the dog, then draw the bath. Q (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/qed.html)ED (http://www.aibanez.blogspot.com/).

Argos
2005-Jan-19, 04:18 PM
I didn´t know that you spoke Spanish, Grapes :)

Swift
2005-Jan-19, 04:20 PM
Did your dog once belong to Schrodenger?
In quantum mechanics we studied a particle in a box; I don't remember studying a dog in the bath? :wink:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-19, 04:20 PM
Latin

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 04:24 PM
In quantum mechanics we studied a particle in a box; I don't remember studying a dog in the bath? :wink:

Not unless Schrodinger is a balding fat yorkshire man. :D

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-19, 04:33 PM
Similar stange occurance here. In a house we were renting while I was in college, the kitchen and living room were one room seperated by a long, wide counter. Tons of counter space which translated into tons of junk piling up on it. We kept it... kinda... organized, but it was still loaded down with books, folders, floppies, drying dishes, etc.

My wfe's cocker spaniel, 10 at the time, is nuts about bread.

We came home one day to find the dog lying on the floor with a huge belly and an empty bread bag. Poor thing was groaning she was so full.

Now this loaf of bread was in the middle of a counter 10 - 15 feet long and 5 - 7 feet wide. At the time there were no chairs up against it either. The only thing we could surmise is that maybe she lept from the couch, but that'd be a significant leap, especially for an overweight 10 year old small dog.

The freakiest thing was we couldn't find anything disturbed. The bread had been between a couple candlesticks and other easily disturbed items. And there was no sign of her coming in for a landing either. We had put it there because the pantry was full and had made sure that she couldn't reach it.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 04:47 PM
Similar stange occurance here. In a house we were renting while I was in college, the kitchen and living room were one room seperated by a long, wide counter. Tons of counter space which translated into tons of junk piling up on it. We kept it... kinda... organized, but it was still loaded down with books, folders, floppies, drying dishes, etc.

My wfe's cocker spaniel, 10 at the time, is nuts about bread.

We came home one day to find the dog lying on the floor with a huge belly and an empty bread bag. Poor thing was groaning she was so full.

Now this loaf of bread was in the middle of a counter 10 - 15 feet long and 5 - 7 feet wide. At the time there were no chairs up against it either. The only thing we could surmise is that maybe she lept from the couch, but that'd be a significant leap, especially for an overweight 10 year old small dog.

The freakiest thing was we couldn't find anything disturbed. The bread had been between a couple candlesticks and other easily disturbed items. And there was no sign of her coming in for a landing either. We had put it there because the pantry was full and had made sure that she couldn't reach it.

Maybe it's just small dogs #-o

My friend had one situation with his Yorkie, he locked his bedroom door in the morning. Took his dog for a walk and put it back in the house, never went back to his room. (at the time he was home alone for the weekend.) When we both got back to his house and went to his room to get some of his stuff we found his dog in his room, making love to his bed covers.

The only way into his room was out the high window, climbing the roof covered in slime and then squeezing though a 2 inch gap in the window.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-19, 05:05 PM
Maybe it's just small dogs

Quantom effects are more likely at a small scale! :D :D

N C More
2005-Jan-19, 05:41 PM
I just walked into my bathroom to find my dog in the bath. I'm not sure how the heck he did it, he's less than 1 foot tall and the edge of the bath is 3 feet tall. He can't even jump very high because he's over weight. There's nothing near the bath to help him climb up either.

Ah, finally, something in which I'm an expert! If his front feet can reach the edge of the tub (even using a hop) then he could (albeit with some effort) use his hinds to propel himself up and into the tub. Dogs are very good at his type of maneuver. I've seen my female Australian Shepherd (a type of collie) do this very maneuver to get up and over a retaining wall on our property...the motivation being a squirrel she was chasing. Why this little guy wanted to get into the tub in the first place, that I can't help you with!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 05:55 PM
I just walked into my bathroom to find my dog in the bath. I'm not sure how the heck he did it, he's less than 1 foot tall and the edge of the bath is 3 feet tall. He can't even jump very high because he's over weight. There's nothing near the bath to help him climb up either.

Ah, finally, something in which I'm an expert! If his front feet can reach the edge of the tub (even using a hop) then he could (albeit with some effort) use his hinds to propel himself up and into the tub. Dogs are very good at his type of maneuver. I've seen my female Australian Shepherd (a type of collie) do this very maneuver to get up and over a retaining wall on our property...the motivation being a squirrel she was chasing. Why this little guy wanted to get into the tub in the first place, that I can't help you with!

Thats what i first thought becuase it's only a 1 inch wide but standing up he's only about 1 1/2 foot tall. He's too fat to hop and his jump only gets to about 2 feet mostly because he stands on his hind legs.

I'm still trying to figure out how though.

N C More
2005-Jan-19, 06:19 PM
Thats what i first thought becuase it's only a 1 inch wide but standing up he's only about 1 1/2 foot tall. He's too fat to hop and his jump only gets to about 2 feet mostly because he stands on his hind legs.

Holy cow! I see what you mean now. Hmm, could he have had some sort of help in this (kids, prankster spouse)? BTW, his name's not "Houdini" is it? :lol:

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-19, 06:49 PM
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H. P. Lovecraft The Call of Cthulhu

Best leave it be least you voyage too far. :wink:

Of course if you do figure it out, let us know, maybe it'll apply to how our dog got the bread.

[edit: Best be I spellcheck before hitting submit.]

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 07:00 PM

Holy cow! I see what you mean now. Hmm, could he have had some sort of help in this (kids, prankster spouse)? BTW, his name's not "Houdini" is it? :lol:

Well i've been home alone all day, so unless someone put him in this morning and i didn't notice him when i took a shower or the several trips to the toilet i've had.

He normally sleeps on a part of the bathroom floor where the pipes are, but he was sat in the bath staring at me.

Sadly he's not called Houdini, when i get a cat it's being called Schrodinger just to see how many weird things it does :D

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-19, 07:04 PM
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H. P. Lovecraft The Call of Cthulhu

Best leave it be least you voyage too far. :wink:

Of course if you do figure it out, let us know, maybe it'll apply to how our dog got the bread.

[edit: Best be I spellcheck before hitting submit.]

I have an Idea, much like Schrodingers Cat but this will be Gregory's Dog. If everyone in the world all 6.5 billion of us got a small dog and stood next to a wall. At the exact same moment everyone throws the dog into a wall and we count how many go through.

What does everyone think? :D

enginelessjohn
2005-Jan-20, 10:11 AM
I suspect you'd probably end up with 6.5 billion irritated dogs....

Cheers
John

(edited for spelling.... Doh!)

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-20, 02:09 PM
I am not throwing my dog into the wall, that is just mean.

electromagneticpulse, does your friend's door actually lock? The door to my beddroom used to not stick so even when the door is closed my dog could push her way in. I used to have to put a baby gate in front of the door to keep her out. I finally got fed up, called the office manager and they got the door fixed.

Depending on how hard you push against the door, can your friends door open with out the handle being turned or pressed? Is it possible that someone else has a key to the home who came in and unknowingly left the dog in the bedroom?

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-20, 02:49 PM
I suspect you'd probably end up with 6.5 billion irritated dogs....

Cheers
John

(edited for spelling.... Doh!)

:lol: My dogs always irritated at me so i might as well try it.

I am not throwing my dog into the wall, that is just mean.

electromagneticpulse, does your friend's door actually lock? The door to my beddroom used to not stick so even when the door is closed my dog could push her way in. I used to have to put a baby gate in front of the door to keep her out. I finally got fed up, called the office manager and they got the door fixed.

Depending on how hard you push against the door, can your friends door open with out the handle being turned or pressed? Is it possible that someone else has a key to the home who came in and unknowingly left the dog in the bedroom?

Throwing your dog into the wall was just a thought experiment. :)

My friends door is impossible to get through it's double locking i couldn't force it without using a 10 meter run up and about 180 lbs of my body weight.

His sister was at Leeds University so she's out. His parents were in London at the time with his Aunt. The only person we could think of at the time was his girlfriend but she was supposedly going on holiday, she could have gone round but only if her flight had been delayed in advance. For Humberside airport that hasn't ever been delayed by more than 5 minutes and never in advance.

I also know the door was definitely locked because i walked into it :D So we just took it as spooky goings on with his house dating back 50 years and used to be used by crack heads.

I remember being told that the probability of something impossibly weird happening is one in a million (per day). With 6.5 billion people and 365 days a year they happen very often. So maybe all these things happening are just happening from probability, with mine happening more often than anyone else’s. Maybe I’ll have a normal adult hood :roll:

N C More
2005-Jan-20, 08:40 PM
Then again, maybe EMP's dog is just a much, much better jumper than he imagines? Never underestimate the power of a canine, even a small one! :D

Doodler
2005-Jan-20, 08:53 PM

Not unless Schrodinger is a balding fat yorkshire man. :D

If it was in the bath, wouldn't it have been subject to inertial dampening?

*flees the pun mafia*

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-20, 08:54 PM
Then again, maybe EMP's dog is just a much, much better jumper than he imagines? Never underestimate the power of a canine, even a small one! :D

I don't doubt it's power i doubt it's intelligence, it runs into doors all the time. But maybe that's because it can go through them when a human isn't watching 8-[ Maybe humans are the only life that can collapse wave functions... or my dog is dumb. I personally prefer the latter :)

Plus after it found a few escape holes we fattened him up because he runs too fast and at cars. So far he still lives, i've almost been hit once trying to stop him though. Oh well, it's just another unsolved mystery of my life. :roll: