PDA

View Full Version : SBC- Single Board Computers

adamp
2005-Jan-19, 08:45 PM
Hey guys! Although I have been a reader of the BABB for quite some time, I normally refrain from adding any of my nonsense and hot air :P . Anyways, I would love to know if any of you guys have had any experience whatsoever with SBCs (Single Board Computers). I think they are quite interesting as you can do/build just about anything you can fathom and stuff it in such a small package.

In short, I really would like some help in choosing a unit that would fit in a small enclosure (such as a fuselage of a medium sized R/C airplane) and some insight as to how difficult it would be for a novice to become proficient at coding for the said unit. I apologize in advance for the lack of specifics, but any help really would be appreciated :D . Thanks!

Van Rijn
2005-Jan-19, 09:35 PM
Well, what do you want to do, what electronics experience do you have, and what computer languages do you know? Does the term "bit manipulation" make sense to you?

The Basic Pic is a small, relatively simple, but also low performance device. There's a lot of information on the web and in books on how to use it and there are quite a few prebuilt add-ons you can buy if you don't mind spending the money. It is by no means the best, but it is well supported and probably about the easiest you're going to find. There are many other SBCs out there, it all depends on what you want to do and what your experience level is.

If your needs aren't too great you don't need extensive electronics experience, but you really should know how to solder, have some knowledge of basic electronic components and be able to read simple schematics. Oh, and a DMM is vital. You should also know your way around a computer, have done some programming, and should be ready for the possibility of a substantial learning curve.

If you don't want to do anything too fancy, you may find you don't have much trouble at all. Or you may find it next to impossible. There isn't a lot of hand holding for this type of thing, so you could get lost very quickly.

adamp
2005-Jan-19, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your help. I understand my question was vague and that there is no "hand holding" with these things. I am simply looking for a new and challenging hobby, and I'm not really looking for a solution to a set task. Thanks again :)