PDA

View Full Version : This is totally addictive....

EvilBob
2005-Jan-20, 03:09 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before (I did a quick search and couldn't find anything), but this is the coolest program ever....

NASA World Wind (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/)

It's a BIG download (259 Meg), and unless you've got a fast internet it's probably not worth trying. Basically, it's a satellite image globe of the Earth, on which you can zoom in to pretty much any level, down to about 7 Km (I can find my street, but not my house). Once you start zooming in, it downloads higher res pictures from a NASA database.
I've spent the last two days roaming the globe - see what you can find!
:D

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-20, 03:13 AM
AARRGHH!!! Why must they use DirectX?! If that were not the case, I could use WINE and DRI under Linux... :evil:

tmosher
2005-Jan-20, 03:13 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before (I did a quick search and couldn't find anything), but this is the coolest program ever....

NASA World Wind (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/)

It's a BIG download (259 Meg), and unless you've got a fast internet it's probably not worth trying. Basically, it's a satellite image globe of the Earth, on which you can zoom in to pretty much any level, down to about 7 Km (I can find my street, but not my house). Once you start zooming in, it downloads higher res pictures from a NASA database.
I've spent the last two days roaming the globe - see what you can find!
:D

Boy...that's going to be a long download - I'm showing 27 minutes (and counting) using a DSL connection.

Oh well...if any of you dial-up users want a CD-Rom copy (US only please), I'll burn a copy and mail it to you.

Make that 42 minutes (ouch!).

Tom

archman
2005-Jan-20, 03:33 AM
At what resolutions does the NASA downloading start? What's the base resolution for the program?

tmosher
2005-Jan-20, 03:35 AM
At what resolutions does the NASA downloading start? What's the base resolution for the program?

I'll let you know after I get it downloaded and running (if I can - my machine has a bizarre distaste for Direct-X).

EvilBob
2005-Jan-20, 03:59 AM
Any Aussies out there, the program files are included on the free DVD with last December's APC magazine (Aust personal computer).

I don't really know much of the technical details - the website just says 'at some point' it will download higher res pictures. But they stay in the cache, so you don't need to DL them every time. There's also add-on packs of certain places that you can download seperately....

grewwalk
2005-Jan-20, 08:46 AM
Try http://terraserver-usa.com/. It lets you zoom into many areas down to 1 meter resolution. Plus no huge download.

Includes many topographical maps also.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-20, 09:20 AM
I am downloading it now, if anyone in the UK wants it on CD please PM me :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 09:59 AM
Is that a 3D map as mapped by the shuttle mission (where you could actually see mountains, skyscrapers and even large trees), or flat 2D photos?

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 10:00 AM
OK now I was able to load that site with its screenshots (it hung halfway on the loading process the other time), seems like 3D from the pics!! Downloading now...

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 10:45 AM
Got the prog installed. I can turn and zoom at the earth now. But everything seems flat. How do I get to see mountains and things like that?

Kebsis
2005-Jan-20, 03:00 PM
AARRGHH!!! Why must they use DirectX?! If that were not the case, I could use WINE and DRI under Linux... :evil:

It's not worth it GJ. Just get Windows and install it.

Room for one more, GJ..room for one more...

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-20, 04:26 PM

If I remember correctly, there was something on the site about it being ported to other systems

Amadeus
2005-Jan-20, 05:03 PM
Going to try this out tonight :D

Just one thing though, does it cover the whole globe? I would guess that there are some sites where it could be problematic for political reasons....

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 05:18 PM
It represents the whole globe. I think gaps are mainly just data gaps. I think the resolution is low enough to permit showing everything. I found a nuclear power plant already.

I managed to get 3D: you need to put your language as "English" in Windows (it's a bug in the program).

tlbs101
2005-Jan-20, 06:43 PM
That Terraserver is cool. Here is my house (and fairly recent, too -- at least since 2003, because the neighbors across the street didn't buy their gold-colored Oldsmobile before then).

http://tpounds.homestead.com/files/_house.jpg

It's unfortunate that the huge tree in my backyard will have to be cut down, soon, as it is encroaching on the house structure. I like that tree. :(

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 07:19 PM
THe (registered) resolution on Terraserver is a lot higher than what I've seen on world winds. But Terraserver is 2D of course:)

EvilBob
2005-Jan-20, 09:49 PM
Terraserver might be good if you live in the US - there are a lot of us out there who don't!
I believe World Wind can give you 3d images...

Combining LandSat 7 imagery with Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) Data, World Wind can display a dramatic view of the Earth at eye level. Users will literally be able to fly across the world in any direction.
But I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Nicolas
2005-Jan-20, 10:04 PM
That is "fly" minus the loading times.

What you do: you put the prog in the "landsat true colors" mode (default mode). If you zoom in on earth, the prog starts loading landsat images (which don't really look like true colour, but anyway :)). If the finer images are loaded, the prog loads 3D terrain data (IF available). Check the European Alps or Mt Everest. You can zoom in with the scroll wheel, dragging with the right mouse button allows you to tilt, which allows you to see the 3D better than from right above. Standard the height magnification is set at 2 (Mt Everest becoms 19000 m high that way) to make the terrain more clear.

If it doesn't work: set your language settings in windows to "english: united states". Reason: the program has a bug and needs that setting in order to read the decimal sign correct in its code.

EvilBob
2005-Jan-20, 10:33 PM
Believe it or not, I can't find Mt Everest! Do you happen to know it's co-ords? I could google it, I suppose. But thanks for the tip...

Maksutov
2005-Jan-20, 10:46 PM
Believe it or not, I can't find Mt Everest! Do you happen to know it's co-ords? I could google it, I suppose. But thanks for the tip...
Latitude 27' 59' N
Longitude 86' 56' E

Nice hill, something of a challenge to climb.

No problem downloading the application. It took 25 minutes at 160 kb/sec. Now to install it and look for stuff.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-20, 10:48 PM
[edit]
It's unfortunate that the huge tree in my backyard will have to be cut down, soon, as it is encroaching on the house structure. I like that tree. :(
Unless it's terminally diseased, have you considered contacting an arborist to see if it can be trimmed or otherwise modified to eliminate the threat?

EvilBob
2005-Jan-21, 12:11 AM
Latitude 27' 59' N
Longitude 86' 56' E

Thanks! I think I've got it now - but it's not marked as a placename, as Everest, Sagarmatha, or Chomolungma that I can see. I just tilted to ground level and looked for the highest peak!
Interesting to note that sometimes the 3d doesn't match the 2d. Have a look at Uluru (Ayers Rock) in Central Australia at
lat=-25.377082824707
lon=131.039535522461
and then tilt to see it in 3d. The two are in slightly different places!

EvilBob
2005-Jan-21, 05:09 AM
Found something weird that I can't explain - maybe someone else has an idea. In the middle of the south Australian Desert, at
lat=27.8211269378662
lon=129.974960327148
There are two huge sharply rectangular objects making what looks like a hundred km trail. Is it maybe an artifact in the imaging?

tlbs101
2005-Jan-21, 11:29 PM
[edit]
It's unfortunate that the huge tree in my backyard will have to be cut down, soon, as it is encroaching on the house structure. I like that tree.

Unless it's terminally diseased, have you considered contacting an arborist to see if it can be trimmed or otherwise modified to eliminate the threat?
The trunk has already broken into the eve of the roof, and it will only grow larger with each years growth. I figure I have about 3 -5 years until it will actually start hitting the wall of the house. At least the house foundation is still sound.

The previous owners built an extension to the existing house about 20 years ago, and back then there was obviously plenty of clearance.

BTW, the tree is a most likely a Dutch Elm (Ulmus x hollandica ), and it's the tallest tree around.