PDA

View Full Version : School Daze

Candy
2005-Jan-20, 05:23 PM
Colleges Use Creative Recruiting Stunts (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=050120&cat=strange&st=stranged87ntte g1&src=ap)

Forget course catalogs and colorful pamphlets. Think sex, skiing and rock 'n' roll. When it comes to recruiting students for college, admissions officials are turning to increasingly outlandish stunts to get the attention of high schoolers. Birthday cards, ski weekends and even reality TV shows are being used by colleges and universities to get an edge.
My university doesn’t do this! 8)

dgruss23
2005-Jan-20, 05:29 PM
Colleges Use Creative Recruiting Stunts (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=050120&cat=strange&st=stranged87ntte g1&src=ap)

Forget course catalogs and colorful pamphlets. Think sex, skiing and rock 'n' roll. When it comes to recruiting students for college, admissions officials are turning to increasingly outlandish stunts to get the attention of high schoolers. Birthday cards, ski weekends and even reality TV shows are being used by colleges and universities to get an edge.
My university doesn’t do this! 8)

My wife went to the University of Miami. She said that the football program had young women as part of the recruitment process of high school boys visiting the campus ... and I have no specifics as to how far you should read into that.

Nergal
2005-Jan-20, 06:23 PM
My wife went to the University of Miami. She said that the football program had young women as part of the recruitment process of high school boys visiting the campus ... and I have no specifics as to how far you should read into that.

Think: You're a 17/18 year old football star from somewhere in the mid-west, and Miami brings you down for a recruiting weekend. It's the middle of winter, but it's 75 degrees. Then they take you a beautiful beach that just happens *wink* *wink* to be sprawling with gorgeous women wearing very little except for a few strategically placed ounces of material.

You don't have to read any farther into it than that to figure out it's pretty effective :D

From the recruiting standpoint, anything less wholesome that occurs after that point is just a bonus.

ChesleyFan
2005-Jan-20, 07:49 PM

I remember seeing some movie while still in high school (maybe "Blue Chips") about a high school basketball star moving into college hoops. There was an early scene where the recruiter leads him into a bedroom with two cheerleaders, and then discreetly leaves...

...and it was then that I began to wish I joined high school football like the coach wanted. :wink:

SeanF
2005-Jan-20, 08:28 PM

I remember seeing some movie while still in high school (maybe "Blue Chips") about a high school basketball star moving into college hoops. There was an early scene where the recruiter leads him into a bedroom with two cheerleaders, and then discreetly leaves...

...and it was then that I began to wish I joined high school football like the coach wanted. :wink:
As I recall from the trailers, there was a similar inference in the movie Johnny Be Good (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095409/).

Of course, any movie presenting Anthony Michael Hall as a football star needs a pretty hefty suspension of disbelief, eh? ;)

Swift
2005-Jan-20, 10:15 PM
Sure, why do something straight forward and cut the price. :-?