PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Air Force Certifies SpaceX for National Security Launches, Ending Monopoly

Fraser
2015-May-27, 06:40 PM
The U.S. Air Force announced Tuesday that they have certified SpaceX to launch the nations critical and highly valuable national security satellites on the firms Falcon 9 rocket, thereby breaking the decade old launch monopoly held by launch competitor United Launch Alliance (ULA). ULA is a joint venture owned by aerospace giants Boeing and Lockheed […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/120513/u-s-air-force-certifies-spacex-for-national-security-launches-ending-monopoly/)

publiusr
2015-May-30, 06:20 PM
That scream you just heard came from ULA getting staked in its casket by Elon Musk.

Extravoice
2015-May-30, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of a computer purchase I made in the early nineties.
I wanted a math coprocessor, and spent hours searching Computer Shopper magazine over a weekend.
On Monday, I bemoaned the prices to a coworker, who pointed out that a competitor just released a coprocessor and the price of the Intel processor instantly dropped by half. We may see a similar event from ULA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trebuchet
2015-Jun-01, 12:17 AM
That scream you just heard came from ULA getting staked in its casket by Elon Musk.

On the other hand, Boeing is now under contract for a manned launch using Atlas V. SpaceX is not, as yet.

Reminds me of a computer purchase I made in the early nineties.
I wanted a math coprocessor, and spent hours searching Computer Shopper magazine over a weekend.
On Monday, I bemoaned the prices to a coworker, who pointed out that a competitor just released a coprocessor and the price of the Intel processor instantly dropped by half. We may see a similar event from ULA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always found it strange (to say the least) that the feds developed two competing launchers under the EELV program, in the name of lower costs through competition; then allowed the two providers to combine into a monopoly, again supposedly in the interest of lower cost. No, actually, I don't find it strange. It's US DOD procurement.