PDA

View Full Version : My rise to power

Glom
2005-Jan-21, 10:44 AM
I'm now the Equipment and Observing officer for the University of Birmingham Astronomical Society. I'm going to turn the society into a lean mean observin' machine. That is as soon as I get over this Balti Chicken Tikka.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-21, 11:23 AM
Congratulations Glom.

Balti chicken aside, do your darndest.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-21, 11:24 AM
P.S.

Why are you eating a Balti chicken at 11.00 in the morning?

Bawheid
2005-Jan-21, 11:27 AM
Because he's a bloke, anytime is curry time.

Congrats Glom.

Sticks
2005-Jan-21, 11:32 AM
I prefer Chilli

And I have eaten that at around 6 AM in the past IIRC :o :)

mickal555
2005-Jan-21, 12:24 PM
=D> congraduliations =D>

Swift
2005-Jan-21, 01:47 PM
Congratulations on both the post and on the chicken tikka (yum!). =D>

Sticks
2005-Jan-21, 01:51 PM
BTW

What is Balti? :oops:

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-21, 10:16 PM
BTW

What is Balti? :oops:

Don't tell me they haven't reached Newcastle yet. :(

Go to your local curry emporium, I'm sure they'll have them

They're a sort of extra-flavoured aromatic curry that you eat with nan bread.

Doodler
2005-Jan-21, 10:19 PM
Congrats on the new job! :) Send lots of pics, ya hear?

And watch that tikka stuff. I had a murgh tikka at an Indian restaurant here that fought back all afternoon. Good stuff, but violent.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-21, 11:26 PM
Well done, Glom!

And what the heck is nan bread?

Grizzly
2005-Jan-21, 11:30 PM
Well done, Glom!

Thou knave!

Naan bread is a flat bread, baked usually in a Tandoor or Indian clay oven. It is one of the host of flat breads from the tropics - pita, tortilla, etc., but in my humble estimation is by far the best.

That's it, I'm off to the Curry House.

----
Panis Angelicus
Bread of the Angels

Waiting for the lightning bolt....

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-21, 11:47 PM
Oh. Thanks. :)

Maksutov
2005-Jan-22, 05:14 AM
Well done, Glom!

Thou knave!

Naan bread is a flat bread, baked usually in a Tandoor or Indian clay oven. It is one of the host of flat breads from the tropics - pita, tortilla, etc., but in my humble estimation is by far the best.

That's it, I'm off to the Curry House.

----
Panis Angelicus
Bread of the Angels

Waiting for the lightning bolt....
Naan's great, but don't forget the paratha, especially roti bawang!

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/9550/paratharotibawang16fq.th.jpg (http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30&image=paratharotibawang16fq.jpg)

Yum!

WTG, Glom!

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-22, 10:30 PM
Well done, Glom!

No nan bread in Canada! :( I almost emmigrated there, I'm glad it all fell through now! :D

Diamond
2005-Jan-22, 10:47 PM
Balti in Bengali (or Urdu or something) means "bucket"

In India this means the cheapest ingredients made in the cheapest pots. Why some English esteem balti, I'll never know #-o

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-23, 10:25 PM

In India this means the cheapest ingredients made in the cheapest pots. Why some English esteem balti, I'll never know #-o

Perhaps its been anglicised, a bit like chop suey, the Chinese dish which is really an American dish.

Naan bread? The biggest ones you can get would cover your table..a bit like American steaks.

But.. #-o seems to me we're off topic a bit..just thinking about our fat stomachs.

Glom, tell us more about what's occurring.

Doodler
2005-Jan-24, 03:44 PM

Perhaps its been anglicised, a bit like chop suey, the Chinese dish which is really an American dish.

Naan bread? The biggest ones you can get would cover your table..a bit like American steaks.

But.. #-o seems to me we're off topic a bit..just thinking about our fat stomachs.

Glom, tell us more about what's occurring.

Off topic, but Chop Suey was always one that I got a chuckle over. All it really amounts to is leftovers. Give me a good roasted duck and black bean sauce any day of the week.

TravisM
2005-Jan-24, 04:14 PM
CONGRATS! =D> I wish I could get me a Computer Support position for an astronomy related job...

Swift
2005-Jan-24, 04:18 PM
Well done, Glom!

No nan bread in Canada! :( I almost emmigrated there, I'm glad it all fell through now! :D
I'm surprised. Every Indian restaurant I've ever been in had Nan, and I got to believe that Toronto has at least one Indian restaurant. Heck, Cleveland has 3 or 4, and we're not exactly the food capital of North America. :wink:

Glom
2005-Jan-24, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have seen the cupboards. They're a bit of a mess and I need to sort them out, but first we're waiting for our new 10 inch telescope which should arrive by next week. I will aim to keep a proper logbook of all AstroSoc observing events and be make dedicated targets to observe.

At the moment, we're still trying to get things sorted out. I'm still not quite sure who else is on the committee.