PDA

View Full Version : Browser Wars

jfribrg
2005-Jan-21, 10:34 PM
This article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=4&u=/pcworld/20050121/tc_pcworld/119369) talks about Internet explorer losing market share to other browsers =D>

I'm looking to change browsers, but I'm not sure which ones are good. Which browsers do you folks use? Which are the best? I know that last question is loaded. I'ts like discussing religion, politics or what the best programming language is. I'm looking for objective information, such as whether the browser works with VB script, frames,etc. I don't want this topic locked, so skip the inflammatory rhetoric and stick to the facts. To help with the comparisons, I've made up a questionaire that you can fill in when replying:

1) Instead of IE, I use __________________

2) It is much better than IE because ________________________

3) However, IE is better when I ____________________________

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support ____________

5) IE doesn't support ______________________, but the browser in question 1 does.

You get the idea. Stick to the facts and help me decide which browser to switch to.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-21, 10:45 PM
Instead of IE, I use... Just about anything. Right now I'm using the DSL live CD, so I'm using a light and extremely fast browser called Dillo. Normally I'd probably use KDE's Konqueror, which uses a very secure (and very fast - faster than Gecko) full-featured rendering engine. I don't like KDE apps' use of QT though, so I'll switch to GNOME and GNOME-webkit once the whole Galeon-Webcore thing pans out.

IE is never really a good browser. And even if you switch it to its "High Security" mode, somebody can remotely change that to a lower level. (Yes, I've actually seen it.)

Dillo does not support Javascript, Java applets, CSS stylesheets, plugins of any sort, or a dozen other things. It's just fast and functional - it's a graphical browser, no more, no less. (It also is tiny - about half a megabyte.)

Konqueror supports just about everything IE does other than ActiveX and VBScript (IIRC, IE is the only browser which supports those). I have heard it has some problems with CSS stylesheets, but if it does I haven't seen them.

(BTW, you also want VBScript turned off. It's a favorite of script kiddies.)

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-21, 10:51 PM
I use firefox, it works well, has tabed browsing, better security etc, the only problem is that some webpages don't display properly (menu bars not droping down or some scripts not working) but 95% of pages work fine.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-21, 10:52 PM
I use Firefox. It's more user-friendly (tabbed browsing, etc.) and more secure.

CTM VT 2K
2005-Jan-21, 10:56 PM
I moved to Opera about 8 months ago (after a run in with some very nasty spyware), and never looked back. My new system (6 months old) never even fired up IE. I've not used Firefox, but I've heard good things about it. I have been able to configure Opera to do just what I want it to, not what MS thinks I should want it to do.

As far as I am concerned, using IE is just begging for a virus and/or spyware/mallware. If you use it, even with Spybot and Adaware coverage, you are just asking for trouble.

mickal555
2005-Jan-22, 03:47 AM
1) IF I don't use IE, I use firefox

2) It is different than IE because I has Tabs and it will load some spware blocked pages

3) However, IE is better when I posr in BABB and brouse around

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support it just dousn't have the same feel

5) IE doesn't support spyware but the browser in question 1 does.

Ut
2005-Jan-22, 03:56 AM

2) It is different than IE because I has Tabs and it will load some spware blocked pages

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support it just dousn't have the same feel

:-s

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-22, 03:58 AM
Meh? :-?

(BTW, Firefox is getting a bit less secure as more people are using it - the somewhat kludged nature of the Gecko engine is starting to show. Still, I don't think it will ever become as godawful as IE.)

(Oh yeah - has anyone here ever used K-Meleon? (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net))

mickal555
2005-Jan-22, 04:02 AM

:-s
hi

Maksutov
2005-Jan-22, 04:12 AM
1) Instead of IE, I use Firefox.

2) It is much better than IE because it is more secure (it does a good job of screening out spyware and malware), it has tabs, and it has plug-ins galore for almost unlimited customization.

3) However, IE is better when I don't use it. I do have IE installed on my computer. The only time I use it is when I must access a site that only runs on IE. Many features on Yahoo! suffer from this major drawback. Some HTML/etc. folks are still in the "I must write code for IE" loop, similar to the "Real Player only" mindset.

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support sites/features that will run only under IE.

5) IE doesn't support tabs, pug-ins, popup blocking, and many other features, but the browser in question 1 does.

sarongsong
2005-Jan-22, 06:23 AM
Opera's on-screen zoom feature (20% to 1000%), setting a right-clicked mouse to quickly drag the screen forward or backward, plus a pop-up on/off switch are strong reasons to check it out.

Ut
2005-Jan-22, 06:57 AM
Meh? :-?

(BTW, Firefox is getting a bit less secure as more people are using it - the somewhat kludged nature of the Gecko engine is starting to show. Still, I don't think it will ever become as godawful as IE.)

(Oh yeah - has anyone here ever used K-Meleon? (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net))

I will happily argue that the security of any given piece of software is inversely proportional to the number of people using it, regardless of developer or underlying framework. The more obscure your software, the less likely it is going to have been worth someone's time to probe it and write malicious code for it.

Kebsis
2005-Jan-22, 07:51 AM
1) Instead of IE, I use Mozilla Firefox.
2) It is much better than IE because of better security, pop-up blocker, cool themes, extensions that customize your browsers features, etc.

3) However, IE is better when I find webpages that can only be displayed in IE.

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support Active X, I think.
5) IE doesn't support tabbed browsing, but the browser in question 1 does.

Theta Orionis
2005-Jan-22, 08:35 AM
1) Instead of IE, I use Firefox.

2) It is much better than IE because IE sucks copious amounts of dren.

3) However, IE is better when I visit websites that are utterly W3C non-compliant.

4) The browser I referenced in question 1 doesn't support frelling Active-X dren.

5) IE doesn't support security, but the browser in question 1 does.

PhantomWolf
2005-Jan-22, 01:36 PM
Well I still use IE. If the security and optins in it is set up right then there isn't too much of a problem with it. I've used it for 4 years in cnjuction with Adaware, Spybot, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Norton AntiVirus and so far the only virus I have caught was from a computer where I was a student which transfered over in the .exe of a program I was writting at the time. The only spyware I get are Tracking Cookies, and they are virtually impossible to stop unless you turn off cookies entirely, which has some negitive effects.

Even when the BABB was attacked I didn't get infected with anything, even the spyware. IE also does have popup blocking.

Moose
2005-Jan-22, 01:46 PM
I use firefox.

I like it because it is considerably more secure and much much more stable than IE. I really like it over (say) Opera, because I can configure to look and feel like IE.

I have IE (firewalled) still installed on the system as backup in case I encounter a site I really need to get to that won't do Firefox, but other than Maxis's Simcity Exchange which still won't permit un-IEed downloads, I haven't found a single site that doesn't work perfectly in Firefox (since 0.9). So I really haven't looked back.

Astronot
2005-Jan-22, 02:16 PM
1. I use both. Thought for personal browsing at work, like lunchtime, I tend to use Firefox.
2. Firefox tabs feature is clearly superior to IE and a great help in keeping searches organized.
3. At work I use IE because several sites that I use only support IE and will not accept Firefox at all. The main feature of IE that I like is the ability to save web pages as one file archives as a mht format. I know of no other browser that allows this and it is a great way to forward articles home or to others and archive information. Also I find the Google toolbar much better than the little search box in Firefox.
4. Firefox is not supported by the Reuters Multex360. This is a web site that has statistical information and research about publicly trade companies. It makes my work of analyzing stocks much easier. Most of the information I need is a few clicks away. Reuters has no plans to support any other browsers so I am going to stay with IE.
5. Iíve never seen anything on Firefox that IE couldnít render, even if IE took much longer.

frenat
2005-Jan-22, 02:54 PM
If you get crazy browser (www.crazybrowser.com) for IE it adds tabbed browsing and some other useful features while still using the IE engine. Its a very small download and you can still use IE unmodified after it's installed.[/url]

mickal555
2005-Jan-22, 03:04 PM
Crazy browser hmmm are you sure its safe

frenat
2005-Jan-22, 03:09 PM
As safe as IE. :D

mickal555
2005-Jan-22, 03:11 PM
Ie itself isn't spyware though

frenat
2005-Jan-22, 03:17 PM
It's not spyware. It's been around for years but not well known. I've never had any problems with it.

mickal555
2005-Jan-22, 03:21 PM
OK then,
Its just has an iffy name 8-[

captain swoop
2005-Jan-24, 12:28 PM
I use Safari on the Mac and Mozilla on the PC.

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-24, 12:55 PM
I came across an article on Adware Report (http://www.adwarereport.com/) claiming that Firefox is losing its invulnerability agasint spyware.

Dated Dec 29, 2004, it's about a quarter of the way down the page I linked to.

Although Mozilla claims that Firefox is immune to spyware because it doesn't load ActiveX controls (and other reasons), this doesn't appear to be a cure-all.

And that with ff gaining popularity, spyware creators are starting to target its vulnerabilities.

And while most anti-spyware products actively protect against known backdoors in IE, few (if any?) do the same for Firefox. So for now, there are substantial opportunities for spyware companies willing to invest in a little R&D.

So our suspicion was that perhaps a few spyware companies, enterprising little devils that they are, are already targeting Firefox. And it appears we were right.

I've been wondering about that since I read it, any thoughts?

As for myself:
Firefox at home, IE at worked because our IT department has us locked down tighter than a maximum security prison. We're technically running XP, but as one guy put it, after IT mauled it, it's no longer easily identifiable as XP. Our screensaver is locked to a certain one and at one point they had locked the desktop wallpaper. The screams and threats made them quickly reverse that particular idea.

However, they've screwed it so bad that I've had our IT guys log on as admin onto my coumpter to turn off the sounds and it gives them the rasberries and ignores what they're trying to do. I despise my computer beeping, buzzing, and donging at me, and especially lothe the link clicks when I browse. It runins the mood of the music when there's a critical stop clash in the middle of a good part.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-24, 07:13 PM
Yep. Don't switch to Opera though, its rendering engine (Presto) appears to be less secure than Gecko.

(Damn it, I wish someone would finish porting Webcore to GTK...)

Doodler
2005-Jan-24, 08:58 PM
I use IE with ActiveX controls disabled and WinXP does a great job of pop up blocking with Norton doing Virus duty. WinXP's Firewall is serviceable, so long as you know what you're doing.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-24, 10:41 PM
You didn't hear about the massive bug in SP2 did you? There's one that makes the firewall utterly useless... I hope you've kept totally up to date on the patches. :roll:

(IIRC, Windows is actually designed so that any firewall can be bypassed. Not sure if that's true for all versions though... probably not for 2003 Server. But I'll bet it's the case for XP...)