PDA

View Full Version : Moon Occults/Grazes Aldebaran - Midwest - Sunrise June 15

Centaur
2015-Jun-14, 03:47 PM
A lunar occultation (covering) of the first magnitude star Aldebaran will occur around sunrise tomorrow (Monday 2015 JUN 15) for a portion of the US Midwest, while the 1.7% illuminated waning crescent Moon is rather low. This is quite a challenge, but some Midwesterners will be positioned more favorably than most others for a type of event that does not happen very often at any specific location.

The only graze path will pass about thirty miles south of downtown Chicago, while sloping from the southwest toward the northeast. For observers on the graze path, the star will appear to be winking on and off as hills and valleys of the Moonís south polar region sweep by. There will be a full but brief occultation for observers north of the path, and no occultation for anyone to the south.

Iíve created a graze map, set of Besselian elements, and a preview graphic with data for observers at the Adler Planetarium that can viewed at: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

If you would like occultation or graze data specific for your location, please reply to this post with a longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone. Photos and descriptions of the occultation would be welcome additions to this thread.

loglo
2015-Jun-15, 12:01 AM
Thanks Curt. I was wondering what the star near the crescent moon was this morning. I am in Perth,West Australia at the moment so well outside the "graze zone" but it was a beautiful sight anyway.

Centaur
2015-Jun-15, 12:37 AM
Thanks Curt. I was wondering what the star near the crescent moon was this morning. I am in Perth,West Australia at the moment so well outside the "graze zone" but it was a beautiful sight anyway.

You're welcome. Although I suspect that may have been Mercury near the Moon during your Monday morning. It's not until our upcoming morning that Aldebaran will appear near the Moon and become occulted for some of us. Here in Chicagoland it's still Sunday and the Sun has not yet set.