PDA

View Full Version : Einsteins Riddle

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-22, 01:10 AM
Einsteins Riddle (http://www.woodward.cl/engeinsteinsriddle.htm)

It took me about 30 minutes to do getting nagged at for ignoring one of my friends. I got it right though :D

I think the key to it is not giving up. Einstein being renowned for his concentration you just have to show a little bit of Einsteinism to get it :) Or stubbornness but he was that too.

Good luck!

Bad jcsd
2005-Jan-22, 01:22 AM
It's a new variation on an old riddle and the story about Einstein creating it and him declaring that x% of the world's population wouldn't get it is almost certainly a barefaced lie!

Ut
2005-Jan-22, 01:49 AM
I got it in about 15 minutes, I think. That was a lot of fun. Fine more!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-22, 02:06 AM
I got it in about 15 minutes, I think. That was a lot of fun. Fine more!

Try it with someone nagging at you, really ruins concentration. Plus i put the Blend in the wrong place that screwed it up and i had to count the number of tabaco's they used. :lol:

I got one in college with 7 clues but 2 possibilities, turned out to be a lot easier. :(

I love these kinds of riddles though, much more fun than doing a crossword probably because i'm 16 and they ask about primeministers i've never heard of. If anyone can find them i'd love to know.

junkyardfrog
2005-Jan-22, 06:46 AM
Great post!

:)

I'm gonna borrow this one....

Thanks.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-22, 09:02 AM
A Belgian University bowed over Einstein's Riddle and eventually found something like 4 possible solutions.

SKY
2005-Jan-22, 09:43 AM
Here's some more (http://www.edhelper.com/logic_puzzles.htm).

Amadeus
2005-Jan-22, 01:46 PM
Thank you very much :x

Here I am waking up with a massive hangover just came on to check my emails and I see this. Well I had to do it didn't I?

Took me 20 mins :D

Eroica
2005-Jan-22, 03:10 PM
SPOILER!!!!

I solved it. No one has the fish! I know that German guy - the one who smokes Prince and drinks coffee and lives in a greenhouse - and I know for sure that he has a pet elephant!

Kizarvexis
2005-Jan-22, 06:25 PM
My 10 year old daughter loved the Einstein puzzle and is looking for more. I've googled some puzzles and checked the links above, but can only find puzzles with 3 dimensions (the Einstein puzzle had 5 dimensions). Anyone know a good free site with harder puzzles?

Spoiler alert:
Why is the Englishman drinking milk instead of tea? (Click on the quote button to see the spoilers)

Kizarvexis

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-22, 06:40 PM
Thank you very much :x

You're welcome :P

And thanks SKY, these should pass some time and i can give them to people to annoy them. :D

AliCali
2005-Jan-23, 02:10 AM
My 10 year old daughter loved the Einstein puzzle and is looking for more. I've googled some puzzles and checked the links above, but can only find puzzles with 3 dimensions (the Einstein puzzle had 5 dimensions). Anyone know a good free site with harder puzzles?

Kizarvexis

I call these types of puzzles "logic puzzles", and my favorite logic puzzle publisher is Dell; I used to subscribe to their logic puzzles magazine. Each magazine has 50-60 puzzles, and they're ranked one to five stars. At first, I could only do one and two stars, but after a while, I would skip to the four and five star ones.

Here's their website (http://www.dellmagazines.com/), which also has free weekly puzzles as well, but not necessarily logic puzzles.

They have a special, where new customers get three logic puzzle magazines for $1.95 shipping. (I'm not sure about outside the US, though.)

Eroica
2005-Jan-23, 09:43 AM
Spoiler alert:
Why is the Englishman drinking milk instead of tea? (Click on the quote button to see the spoilers)
How do you know he isn't Scottish - or Welsh? :D

Kebsis
2005-Jan-23, 11:38 AM
The Norwegian in the first house has the fish, because Norwegians love fish.[/quote]

Amadeus
2005-Jan-23, 11:38 AM
Spoiler alert:
How do you know he isn't Scottish - or Welsh? :D

[Waves the St. Piran]
What about us Cornish?
Everyone forgets about us.... :(

Weird Dave
2005-Jan-23, 12:03 PM
It's a new variation on an old riddle and the story about Einstein creating it and him declaring that x% of the world's population wouldn't get it is almost certainly a barefaced lie!

It might not be a barefaced lie, but I do doubt that Einstein wrote it. And I also think that probably 80%-90% of people could do it, provided they can practice simpler examples of the puzzle first. They need to be taught the grid method (draw a grid, and use ticks and crosses to indicate things that are true and false), and also they need to use the fact that [Spoiler, highlight to show] we know that the puzzle MUST be solvable, so where we have to choose between two locations for the green house we can choose the location that forces the location of the white house (clue 4). Choosing the other location is logically possible, but then we can't solve the puzzle because we have to guess where the white house is.

I also dispute that this is an intelligence test. All you need to solve it is knowledge of the grid method and the trick, and the ability to work carefully without making mistakes - a difficult skill, but not intelligence IMHO. We have a big book of these at home, and I like them; thanks for telling us about this, electromagneticpulse :D .

Kizarvexis
2005-Jan-23, 01:34 PM

Kizarvexis

I call these types of puzzles "logic puzzles", and my favorite logic puzzle publisher is Dell; I used to subscribe to their logic puzzles magazine. Each magazine has 50-60 puzzles, and they're ranked one to five stars. At first, I could only do one and two stars, but after a while, I would skip to the four and five star ones.

Here's their website (http://www.dellmagazines.com/), which also has free weekly puzzles as well, but not necessarily logic puzzles.

They have a special, where new customers get three logic puzzle magazines for $1.95 shipping. (I'm not sure about outside the US, though.)

Thank you for the link. I'll check it out.

Kizarvexis

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-23, 04:09 PM
The German smokes Prince that is a Danish brand.

Eroica
2005-Jan-23, 04:15 PM
... and also they need to use the fact that [Spoiler, highlight to show] we know that the puzzle MUST be solvable, so where we have to choose between two locations for the green house we can choose the location that forces the location of the white house (clue 4). Choosing the other location is logically possible, but then we can't solve the puzzle because we have to guess where the white house is.
SPOILERS!!!!

I disagree. The clues alone allow one to deduce that the green house is number four (assuming the houses are in a row, and are numbered 1 to 5 from left to right):

4. The green house is to the left of the white house
So the green house must be number 1, 2, 3 or 4, and the white house number 2, 3, 4 or 5.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
14. The Norwegian lives next to a blue house
So the blue house is number 2: therefore neither the green house nor the white house can be number 2: therefore the green house is number 3 or 4, and the white house is number 4 or 5.

5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee
8. The person that lives in the middle house drinks milk.
Since the middle house is house 3, that leaves just house 4 for the green house, and house 5 for the white house.

QED
:-k or 8) ?

Edit: typo

Weird Dave
2005-Jan-23, 05:00 PM
Eroica: [Surely the green house could be number 1? I had to choose the green house at 1 or 4, and the white house at 4 or 5. Choosing green at 4 allowed me to definitely say that 5 is white.]

I'll give myself a severe #-o ing if I'm wrong.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-23, 05:01 PM
SPOILER!!!

IIRC Einstein was born in Ulm Germany, if you took that link someone could guess it right straight off. But i guess the logic of that doesn't come till after you find out it's the german :)

Eroica
2005-Jan-23, 05:26 PM
Eroica: [Surely the green house could be number 1? I had to choose the green house at 1 or 4, and the white house at 4 or 5. Choosing green at 4 allowed me to definitely say that 5 is white.]

I'll give myself a severe #-o ing if I'm wrong.
I see your point. I was interpreting "to the left of" to mean, "immediately to the left of". #-o

I'll have to take another look at it and see if I can pin it down. ](*,)

N C More
2005-Jan-24, 01:14 AM
OMG! I'm so excited I actually got it right! I can't believe it! :D

Eroica
2005-Jan-24, 05:23 PM

SPOILER!!!

Here's a solution that satisfies all the clues (I think!), but with a different answer!

House. 1........ 2..... 3...... 4......... 5.....
Colour Green.... Blue.. Yellow. Red....... White
Nation Norwegian German Swedish British... Danish
Drinks Coffee... Water. Milk... Beer...... Tea...
Smokes Blend.... Prince Dunhill Bluemaster Pall..
Pet... Fish..... Cat... Dog.... Horse..... Bird..

Clearly, Clue 4 was poorly worded. I'm sure it should read: The green house is to the immediate left of the white house. :-k

GarethB
2005-Jan-25, 03:15 PM
There's another Einstein riddle that has quite a lot of people bamboozled. "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck..." :P

Ut
2005-Jan-25, 03:21 PM
There's another Einstein riddle that has quite a lot of people bamboozled. "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck..." :P

42!

GarethB
2005-Jan-25, 03:31 PM

42!

Are you sure? I thought that was the answer to Fermat's theorem.

Weird Dave
2005-Jan-25, 11:15 PM

42!

State your units!

Fram
2005-Jan-26, 09:23 AM

42!

Certain? You mean 42 * 41 * 40 * ... * 2 * 1? That's a lot, even without units 8)

These kind of logical puzzles are (or were?) also available from a Dutch crosword puzzle book maker, Denksport, also in different difficulties (3 star and 5 star, I think). They are fun in the beginning but tend to get boring.

Argos
2005-Jan-26, 12:12 PM

Einstein would never say that. And itīs just a (simple) riddle, like thousands.

Eroica
2005-Jan-26, 12:32 PM
That 2% sounds suspiciously like something MENSA would claim. I think you need an IQ of 148 or more (Catell Scale?) to get into MENSA because that puts you in the top 2% of the population.