PDA

View Full Version : June New Moon Spotting

Centaur
2015-Jun-17, 04:35 PM
Itís time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. Sighting the 1.5-day-old Moon on 2015 JUN 17 should not be too difficult for North American observers. Those who miss it will be offered another chance the next day.

My preview graphics and more detailed article can be found at www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread.

Below is a photo that I shot from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the one-day-old Moon on 2008 JUL 03 at 21:08 CDT.

ngc3314
2015-Jun-18, 12:10 PM
The crescent was easy enough to spot, but the geometry from northern latitudes was much less favorable than a couple of months ago when the ecliptic appeared much more nearly vertical. From latitude +33, I got the crescent but not Earthshine. These images compare last night to a montage of moonset at a not-much-greater phase on last April 19.

Centaur
2015-Jun-18, 02:19 PM
The crescent was easy enough to spot, but the geometry from northern latitudes was much less favorable than a couple of months ago when the ecliptic appeared much more nearly vertical. From latitude +33, I got the crescent but not Earthshine. These images compare last night to a montage of moonset at a not-much-greater phase on last April 19.

Congratulations on spotting the young Moon. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

FYI, the Moon being well south of the ecliptic during the early crescent phase this month also makes New Moon spotting more difficult than earlier this year.