PDA

View Full Version : A Unified Model of the Fermi Bubbles

trinitree88
2015-Jun-19, 01:37 PM
Since the discovery of the gamma ray "bubbles" emanating above and below the Galactic plane of the Milky Way, by the Fermi-Lat Collaboration, there have been a variety of explanations proposed. This one combines the phenomenology of the two bubbles in gamma rays, with
1.prior, morphologically coincident work, by one of the authors (Carretti et al 2013) in polarized radio lobes,
2.hard microwave haze emission via synchrotron radiation, also morphologically coincident, by Dobler et al 2010; Su et al 2010; Fermi-Lat Collaboration 2014.

The authors, Roland M. Crocker, Geoffrey V. Bicknell, Andrew M. Taylor, and Ettore Carretti find observational signatures in both hemispheres indicating reverse giant shocks @ heights of approximately 1 kiloparsec above the Milky Way's Galactic nucleus, explains the trio of non-thermal phenomena. Key to their concept is not a single gigantic blast, but a continuous process of mass and energy injection into the inner galaxy halo. Interesting, but long read. 58 pages. pete

SEE: http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.7510

George
2015-Jun-19, 09:03 PM
Of the few paragraphs I could understand as I skimmed very quickly, I enjoyed the last one in 8.2 (Further Speculations) regarding the apparent balance in the negative feedback where the infalling medium is balanced with the plumes, otherwise it would shut off the cycle.

Thanks

trinitree88
2015-Jun-20, 04:18 PM
Of the few paragraphs I could understand as I skimmed very quickly, I enjoyed the last one in 8.2 (Further Speculations) regarding the apparent balance in the negative feedback where the infalling medium is balanced with the plumes, otherwise it would shut off the cycle.

Thanks

George. Yep. A well thought out coherent argument for their model's dynamic equilibrium. Should be seen in other galaxies when viewed over longer time spans, since the luminosity will be lower, and of course, might only apply to some of them. Kudos to the group. pete