PDA

View Full Version : No More Mr. Nice Guy

Jim
2015-Jun-22, 01:41 PM
Those are the instructions I have received from my wife. Here's why.

As most of you know, I have a black Lab that I take to the dog park most Sat-Sun. He runs around off-leash for 30-45 minutes, then we take a leashed walk around the main park.

This past Saturday, as we were leaving the dog park to take our walk, a man brought a mostly chocolate Lab puppy in and let him off-leash. He then remarked that someone had abandoned the dog in the main park. All this man could think to do was put him in the dog park and hope someone would take care of him. (Yeah, probably a partial truth.)

Brody and I took our walk and I did some thinking. We'd fostered a dog before. But our house is full ... Brody plus four cats, including the new kittens. But ...

So, when we got back, I looked. The puppy was still there. I spoke with several other dog owners who had noticed the puppy was alone. And I took him.

He looks to be 6-8 months old and in good health, if a tad skinny. Brody tolerates him ... they played a bit in the den, but Brody has warned him when he crossed the line a couple of times. Our weekend plans, of course, were dramatically changed.

I've contacted several rescue groups hoping to find a foster. If not, we may have him for a time.

All of which led to my wife's admonition, "No more Mr. Nice Guy."

Swift
2015-Jun-22, 01:47 PM
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

I'm having my doubts about the fellow's story; my guess is that it was his dog that he abandoned.

Spacedude
2015-Jun-22, 01:50 PM
You have a Big Heart Jim, too big not to be Mr Nice Guy for the long haul....and I suspect that Mrs Jim knows this all too well.

grapes
2015-Jun-22, 01:58 PM
Wait, is that the dog's new name? I'm confused

John Mendenhall
2015-Jun-22, 03:13 PM
You did the right thing. Next the new dog will do something hopelessly cute and and endear himself to you all. And the current dog will go oh alright. Good luck.

Jim
2015-Jun-22, 06:19 PM
Wait, is that the dog's new name? I'm confused

Liam. We're on a Celtic kick.

redshifter
2015-Jun-22, 09:04 PM

I vote you name him 'Mr. Nice Guy'

Extravoice
2015-Jun-22, 09:18 PM
Top story on tonight's news...

"Chocolate Lab puppy stolen from dog park.
The owner claims he turned his back for a moment, and the dog was gone."

Noclevername
2015-Jun-22, 11:05 PM

Name him Larry Bird.

PetersCreek
2015-Jun-23, 03:39 AM
A slightly off-topic tidbit...there's a yellow lab in residence at my local hardwood supplier named Brody. He's a good ol' dog, too.

As for chocopup, my wife would've been all over him too, I think...and our 11-year-old brown clown would finally move up from low mammal on the totem pole. Maybe.

Swift
2015-Jun-23, 11:38 AM
Name him Larry Bird.
Hey! I made that joke 30 years ago, when we got our Irish Setter. We wanted to give her a Celtic name and I suggested Larry Bird. We actually ended up with Kerry (Kerry O'Red Snapper if you want her full AKC name).

Noclevername
2015-Jun-23, 11:42 AM
Hey! I made that joke 30 years ago, when we got our Irish Setter.

The Statute of Limitations had run out.

Extravoice
2015-Jun-23, 12:26 PM
"Chocolate Lab puppy stolen from dog park.
The owner claims he turned his back for a moment, and the dog was gone."

Just in case it wasn't clear, I was trying to use a little sarcasm to identify the worst-case "No good deed goes unpunished" scenario.
There are people who dump their kids at the library or mall as a substitute for summer daycare, so (sadly) it isn't much of a stretch to imagine someone dumping their dog at the park.