PDA

View Full Version : Mars Curiosity SAM Derivatization Sequence

Selfsim
2015-Jun-26, 07:41 AM
Would anyone know whether the Curiosity Rover's SAM Solid Sample Analysis S-DER derivatization sequence has ever been performed on any solid samples as yet?

This sequence was to make use of pre-loaded (sealed) cups of organic solvents to dissolve any organics which may be present in a sample, prior to heating in the GCMS oven.

If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to any official analysis documentation of the test results.

I'm puzzled about announcements proclaiming findings of organics, and yet no classifications of those organics(?)
The classification was specifically what the S-DER technology was included to assist with, and yet I don't seem to be able to find anything which shows it has ever been used(?)

Selfsim
2015-Jun-26, 09:54 AM
Doh .. ok .. just found this (http://news.discovery.com/space/leak-in-curiositys-wet-chemistry-test-finds-mars-organics-150317.htm).

Looks like they used the leaking organic solvent, MTBSTFA, to conduct an experiment on the Cumberland mudstone collected at Yellowknife Bay.
From other reports; it looks like they concluded that several dichlorinated alkanes and chlorobenzene of martian origin, (ie: above background levels) have been identified by the GCMS in the experiment.

As of March 17, (2015), none of the derivatization cups have been deliberately punctured on Mars for a wet chemistry experiment.

Is it Ok to answer one's own question? :)

(Apologies for any inconvenience caused).